Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upgrading My Imac

From 10.1.2 to whatever is the new OS. Scared to death--will Logic 10.2.4 still work? If I have to upgrade Logic, what happens to the files for the last two albums I recorded?

I do backup regularly--automatically with Time Machine.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was going to say. 10.1.2 is pre-MIDI support. :)

And yes, the year and make of your iMac are very important. It will dictate the highest you can or should go.

Unless your machine is very new (like newer than Sierra new), I do not recommend you go to 11.0 (Big Sur) or even to 10.15 (Catalina). Unlike Microsoft with Windows, Apple makes it very easy to upgrade to something other than the newest and buggiest. Once we get an idea of how new your machine is, I can recommend which OS you'll probably want to stop with.

At a very wild guess, your iMac is probably of an age where your best OS to stop with is the last shipping version of Mojave, 10.14.6. Once you know where to download 10.14.0, it will run you through the upgrade process. But when you offer up the actual year and model number, we can tighten up that recommendation a bit....

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

^^^ What Dr Mike said and I will add that I strongly recommend you purchase a brand new hard drive (or SSD) and after updating your iMac and making sure you don't have to go back a system or two, format your new drive, install the same system as a bootable drive and then the installation will offer the option to bring over all your data. Do it. Copy the iMac hard drive over to the new drive - all the applications, all the files.

A pro wedding photographer told me long ago "One is none and two is one." You'll want at least one.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

He could mean 10.10.2 Yosemite.

Replacing a drive in an iMac is no easy feat.

I have changed drives in Mac Minis multiple times.

Unless things have changed since a few years ago when I last upgraded a system, OSX upgrades are free and every version between Yosemite and Big Sur should be available if you do not know this.

If you have the drive space and are running a recent enough version of macOS (I don't recall when it started), it's sooooo easy to create another volume on your drive on the fly, and install the new OS on that. This way, you can go back to the old OS version when you need to.

Logic X files will be just fine.

But another question we should be asking is why do you want to upgrade the OS? If it ain't brokeâ¦

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have multiple drives, one of which is a copy of my main drive OS and everything. If I screw up the main drive for any reason, I can boot off of the other, and be non the worse for wear. I also have redundant back-up drives of everything, files vst's etc., using Carbon Copy Cloner. I leave nothing to chance any more. I would never do an update otherwise.

and of course

If it ain't brokeâ¦

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

... Because that damned red dot won"t go away until you do!

I"ve been updating MacOS regularly. My iMac is a late 2015 which isn"t upgradable but when the time comes that it"s obsolete, I"m thinking toward adding a Mini and use the iMac as it's display & backup drive, assuming that"s possible.

Here for the gear.

... Because that damned red dot won"t go away until you do!

I agree. :mad: I wish Apple wouldn't torture us with that for macOS upgrades, only for updates. And I wish they made automatic updating clear that it will not upgrade your Mac. Meanwhile, people are turning off bug fix and security updates because they don't want to upgrade. :nopity:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

From 10.1.2 to whatever is the new OS. Scared to death--will Logic 10.2.4 still work? If I have to upgrade Logic, what happens to the files for the last two albums I recorded?

I do backup regularly--automatically with Time Machine.

If you could go to the "Apple" menu in the upper left corner of your screen, click on About This Mac and post images of the Overview tab or just tell us what the first two items on that screen are - it would be much easier to help you.

I'm so sorry, I was spaced out. I am on OS 10.10.5 and logic 10.2.4.

About This Mac will also show the year your iMac was made. That matters in terms of your upgrade options - how far up the path you can go.

For instance, my 2014 Mac Book Pro runs Catalina 10.15.7 nicely and supposedly can run Big Sur. Earlier Macs cannot upgrade that far.

If you use the same machine to browse the internet, it matters, if not, it probably doesn't.

A good friend "froze" his recording PC years ago, he uses Presonus Studio Pro version 1, they are now at version 5. He could probably update to a certain extent but he sees no need for it and everything is running brick solid now so he doesn't want to mess with it.

As some point I'll get something else to surf the web and "freeze" this setup. I'm happy with it, it does more than I'll ever need already. Eventually I'll get a newer Mac but I want to wait while they sort out the transition to the Apple Silicon chips.

There are going to be some fantastic new machines soon, it's too early to buy in right now in my opinion.

I'm on Mojave (10.14.6), and imo that's probably the safest system to upgrade to as you won't be frozen out of any 32-bit apps that might remain on your drive. Most current apps will run fine on it, unfortunately not Logic I think. Boo on Apple for forcing you into an OS upgrade that might give you more headaches than you're ready for. I'm guessing your current version of Logic should run OK on Mojave though.

A friend of mine was just hired by a producer to do some session work, but big-time producer guy insisted it be ProTools. My friend re-upped his Avid subscription, then found out he needed to be on Big Sur in order for ProTools to work. He went ahead and upgraded his iMac from High Sierra â and now is seeing a lot of apps with the "circle and line through it" in their icons. Oops!

If you do upgrade to Catalina or Big Sur you may want to first run this small program: https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/ It'll tell you all the 32-bit apps and routines on your Mac which will stop working.

I'm running the latest Catalina on my iMac. No problems with Logic Pro, and a ton of software synths and sample libraries. I also use a UAD Apollo interface. In another 6 months I will make the jump to Big Sur. I tend to stay about 12 months behind the latest OS release. My iMac is fairly new - early 2020 I think.

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X