Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPad Pro as a sound module - am I being dim?

I feel almost embarrassed to ask this but I can't seem to find the solution spelled out anywhere - am sure there is, blame lockdown brain.

I want to use my new model iPad Pro (so no headphone jack) as a sound module for a few informal live bits over the next few months. I have the adapter that connects my midi controller to the USB-C port, but whats the correct solution for getting audio out? I do have an adapter which gives the iPad Pro an audio jack out and USB-C in, but if I then plug the USB to USB-C adaptor into that in (so essentially there's a chain of two adaptors going into the iPad) it won't recognise any midi input at all.

Is there a straightforward solution, just a simple audio interface, that I should be using. I think I just wrongly assumed there would be a simple off-the-shelf way of doing this

Take pity on me!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought an iPad Pro 12" early in the year. If I had it to do over I would not do it again. The missing headphone jack is the main reason. For the same money you can get a M1 Air with a headphone jack. I really hate Apple's movement towards removing all jacks. Word is they plan to remove the connector on the iPhone because the connector makes it much easier to hack.

Anyway, I suggest the Anker USB C Hub for iPad Pro. It has a headphone out, will charge, and there is a basic USB for connecting a keyboard. I have not tried it yet but I plan to get one. You can find it on Amazon.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I bought an iPad Pro 12" early in the year. If I had it to do over I would not do it again. The missing headphone jack is the main reason. For the same money you can get a M1 Air with a headphone jack. I really hate Apple's movement towards removing all jacks. .
I agree. This is why I bequeathed the new Ipad Pro we purchased last year to my son. In the meantime, until I'm forced to change, I'm sticking with my second generation Ipad Pro and Iphone 6s because I like the option of having the headphone jack out. I would add that buying new peripherals everytime Apple changes connectivity can be an expensive habit.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Add me to the list of disappointed with my iPad, really thought I would use it a lot and it rarely gets used. iOS and lack of ports are its biggest drawbacks. For using it plugging into a lot of devices especially ones that need USB power you need to get a hub and there are lots out there varying in what ports they have. The one I use is called a Hyper Drive and it has multiple USB A, HDMI, USB C, and SD cards.

Wish I had got another laptop instead of the iPad. Below is the link to the hub I purchased they make a lot of Apple add-ons.

Link to Hyper Drive on Amazon:

Thanks - its something I had seen and thought might do the trick, just wondered whether anyone had any real use experience of using one of these hubs. It was always my assumption the non-apple unoffical adapters could be somewhat temperamental?

Stick with the name brands. I've always had good luck with Anker products.

Well, I appear to be the lone voice of pro-iPad sentiment here. I have almost completely migrated away from laptop music making and have relegated mine almost exclusively to recording/DAW work; when I'm not using hardware, 99% of the time I am using iPads.

If the iPhone ever gives up physical connections entirely, I will in fact be very upset about it, but I have discovered that losing the headphone jack hasn't actually made a damn bit of difference to me. A little $10 dongle that fits in the case with my IEMs and I'm sorted.

If you're using an iPad for serious music work rather than messing around, you shouldn't be using the headphone jack anyway. It's nice to have handy in an emergency (the DAC actually sounds quite good) but you really want a proper digital connection for real audio I/O. (Do you go on tour taking audio from the headphone jack on your laptop?)

The iPad is USB class compliant for audio and MIDI. If you can plug an interface into a USB-A or USB-C port and not have to install drivers (e.g. no Apogee Ensemble), it will work on the iPad, and the iPad has no issues with multiple devices. A good-quality powered hub like an Anker will do the job nicely.

On a Lightning iPad, you need the little Apple Lightning to USB3 dongle, which lets you connect any USB device or hub to your iPad AND keep it charged with a Lightning power passthru. I have never used a USB-C iPad, but my guess would be that any powered interface could be plugged directly into it and work; I don't know how charging works in that case, but that's my own ignorance of USB-C talking.

I should probably revive this thread on Studio Workshop and make it sticky; it seems to attract a lot of attention, but mostly in bursts.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

(Do you go on tour taking audio from the headphone jack on your laptop?)

Absolutely. The Mac's headphone output is more that adequate if all you need is stereo audio. I have never had an issue with it. I used a MOTU Microbook IIc for a little while a few years ago but it disconnected on me in the middle of a gig. I would think the Mac's built-into-the-OS low-latency audio a safer choice for touring. I've done some pretty big shows with it and never heard any complaints.

That's not to say you're wrong about the iPad being a good choice for gigs! I'm working towards that myself, taking baby steps with my wife's iPad Air 2 â which has the headphone jack. Gotta admit I like that. I can charge it while I use it, without buying any extra dongles/docks/etc.

I've already gone through 3 headphone adapters on my iPhone. 1 went out completely, one would only work if I put pressure on the side, and the third was glitchy and scratchy sounding. I finally broke over and bought a decent but cheap Bluetooth set for walking at the park. That was a letdown because they cannot compare to my mini Senheisser headphones.