Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg modwave

Another new synth from Korg! Korg modwave

cafdbf65b00547fed59ff03fa259e5a0_pc.png

[video:youtube]

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

It's going to be interesting to see how they differentiate this from the wavestate in marketing message....

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

The modWave is a bit more appealing for me than the WaveState, but I suspect it will be sans monopressure like the others in the series.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

It's going to be interesting to see how they differentiate this from the wavestate in marketing message....

Yes, the motion sequencer versus wavesequencing certainly can tread on similar sonic territories. Of course they're not the same, but on first blush it's all timbral movement. It's great to see Korg stretching in so many different directions.

Jerry

So are they just taking the individual synth engines of the Kronos and putting them into single-engine keyboards?

Not really. The WaveState took wave sequencing into a much deeper design, and it does a lot of things that no previous Korg board did before, certainly not the wavesequencing in the HD-1 Kronos engine.

The Kronos has no wavetable technology at all...

But these products are coming from the Korg R&D group who designed the OASYS/Kronos world so it's certainly got their "stamp" on them.

Jerry

I have no sales data on the Wavestate. Nor do I know anybody who owns one. So, I'm wondering if this name change will make a difference. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Wait, are you saying this REPLACES the Wavestate?

I just noticed for the first time that the "dw" in the middle of "modwave" is aqua vs. white, showing tribute to the DW8000 and/or DW6000.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Well ProfD mentioned a name change so I thought that's what he meant.

I was joking. Have no idea what Korg is thinking/doing with this product. ð

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My impression is that the three synths (WaveState, ModWave and the Op6) share the same technological platform (Raspberry pi for what have been seen in the Wavestate), OS and basic software approach, and surely also the way the panels works; so the R&D cost of producing a new one is relatively reduced. In some sense, they are big copy protection dongles around a software plugin :)

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

DW8000 is a vastly under appreciated synth in its day. Sad day when it was replaced with the DS-8.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

CEB, I would have kept my used DW8000 if it didn't have non-functioning parts that couldn't be repaired or fixed. I also briefly owned a Wavestation rack unit and the DS-8. I prefer the DW8000 to all of them, and the DW aspect is what I also liked best about my MS2000 rack unit. So I am hoping for a 61-key aftertouch version of the moDWave by next year.

I was a major DW8000 hound. I'd owned a MonoPoly wedded to a cheapo delay pedal, but the onboard delay made the 8000 Korg's breakout instrument for me. I bought the MEX-8000 memory expander (4 more sets of 64!) and filled it up steadily. I drove other gear with for years, from one thing to the next as the pile grew. I'll be leaning into the demos partly out of nostalgia. I feel a mild temptation to take one up as my DAW controller. It'll be a pleasure to see my child grow up to be Iron Man minus the alcoholism. :o:thu:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I am excited about this board. It"s funny, they say DW-8000 and I"m hooked even though the modwave appears fairly different. More demos and info will help. The DW-8000 was a favorite tool of mine for years. I don"t know if this will rekindle that magic but it is promising.

So many boards have piqued my interest of late, but this might actually peel some funds out of my account. I imagine implementing workflow using the 37 key for sound development and performing from another controlling board. I"d prefer a 61 like the wavestate ex but I could work with either.

Here is to the pleasant keyboard surprises of 2021 :cheers:

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

Well, here's a pass at that...

Wave Sequencing is great for leveraging the richness of sampled sources, and combining them in new and interesting ways. I genuinely love it, which is why I had so much fun working on the Wavestate! But, since they're samples instead of single-cycle waveforms, you have limited options for altering their fundamental sound.

Wavetables, when played without any modulation, are pretty static - just like analog waveforms. But, compared to samples, there are many more options for altering wavetables in real-time. Since the wavetables are phase-synchronous, you can combine them together in ways that create a single new timbre instead of something that sounds like a layer (through Position, as well as the modwave's A/B Blend and associated B Position Offset).

Since they're single-cycle, you can manipulate them with "morph" processes in real-time, such as a few different takes on pulse-width modulation/time distortion (Narrow, Stretch, and variations thereof), inverting the waveform at a modulatable midpoint (Flip), reflecting it around a center point (Mirror), etc. Even processes which make some sense with samples (Sync, AM, FM, Ring Mod) become more generally useful with single-cycle waveforms, since their effects are much more predictable and controllable.

Since the wavetables are rendered at load-time, there's an opportunity to change the rendering methods. The modwave takes advantage of this with "Modifiers," which do all sorts of things including additive-style manipulations (isolating odd or even harmonics, or every third harmonic, or emphasizing drawbar organ harmonics), anti-aliased quantization, saturation, and clipping to add high harmonic content, etc. Finally, combining these rendering options with phase-synchronous playback and A/B Blend, the modwave lets you load both altered and original wavetables in a single oscillator, and modulate the amount of rendered processing in realtime via envelopes, LFOs, sequencer lanes etc. Sometimes this has a kind of filter-ish sound, sometimes it's like additive synthesis, and sometimes it's just its own thing!

Dan Phillips

Manager of Product Development, Korg R&D

• 2 months later...

This is an instance where some graphics would help some of us understand what Dan P means here about the differences, but I do appreciate the effort. More versatility in programming does sound promising.

Was hoping for some more info and demos of the Modwave by now, but all seem a few months old now. One thing about the Modwave that I found encouraging for us who enjoy programming our own synth sounds is five LFOs. Compare that to only one on the Prologue. I really like the sound of the Prologue and the fact that it has on board effects, but after delving into multiple LFOs with their many possible destinations in my Motif ES and PC361, one is a disappointing spec for any new synth.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden