Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Firefly?

wraub

Yeah, $300 is about as high as I can realistically go and still be welcome at home :D, and I also think that Hot Rod Deluxe may be more wattage than I really need. Good looking amp, though.

Thanks indeed @Larryz for the heads-up.

Wraub, DBM lives right around the corner from you. He has a tuber Fender Hot Rod Deluxe he's been trying to sell. They run about $300 used. Great little clean 112 combo amps in your price range. I have one I would sell but I don't want to ship it to anyone. I don't know how much he's asking. Maybe he'll chime in... :cool:

Thanks for the heads up @Larryz I see that his top dollar is $300, so I guess this amp is out of his price range. I won't sell it for that little. I will need $500 to buy my next (much smaller amp like that little Roland of yours Larryz) The HRD sounds awesome clean, if I can't sell it for the money I am asking, I will just keep it until I can, no big problem.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Apologies for the delay, how's this?

20210409-215507.jpg

Also... a new portrait-

20210409-081536.jpg

Great score Wraub!

Did you say it was a glued neck? i wouldn't mind a pic of the neck joint, if you have time.

DBM, thanks for getting back to Wraub! I forgot about how much you were asking for your amp...+1 on sizing down and taking a look at that Roland EX50...$500 is a little bit more than Wraub's $300 budget though...

Wraub, the HR Deluxe are great little clean Fender tube amps which are at the right weight for the amount of wattage they pack around IMHO. You can always turn them down and still have the ability to cut through the mix when playing clean at stage volume.

Anyway, I'm glad you two touched base on DBM's amp. It would have been cool to be able too look at a used amp near by. They are great for picking up used as they take a licking and keep on ticking...new tubes and a bias setting will almost always do the trick...I bought my Hod Rod DeVille and my Hot Rod Deluxe used and they still work fine after many years of use. :2thu:

Take care, Larryz

DBM, thanks for getting back to Wraub! I forgot about how much you were asking for your amp...+1 on sizing down and taking a look at that Roland EX50...$500 is a little bit more than Wraub's $300 budget though...

Wraub, the HR Deluxe are great little clean Fender tube amps which are at the right weight for the amount of wattage they pack around IMHO. You can always turn them down and still have the ability to cut through the mix when playing clean at stage volume.

Anyway, I'm glad you two touched base on DBM's amp. It would have been cool to be able too look at a used amp near by. They are great for picking up used as they take a licking and keep on ticking...new tubes and a bias setting will almost always do the trick...I bought my Hod Rod DeVille and my Hot Rod Deluxe used and they still work fine after many years of use. :2thu:

I bought mine new, (probably in 2006 or 2007). I got it on sale from one of the on line stores a year or two before version 3 came out, mine is version 2 made in Mexico. I probably have well over $800 in it considering the purchase price, the new tubes and tube rings, the speaker, and the cap job. I only got the cap job done because it was in the shop for a minor repair and while he had the amp open I pulled the trigger on the cap job, just because I know they wear out over time. I play that amp once a month over 3 days to keep the caps charged up and it is always plugged in.

Your amp is more tempting every minute... :)

I bought mine new, (probably in 2006 or 2007). I got it on sale from one of the on line stores a year or two before version 3 came out, mine is version 2 made in Mexico. I probably have well over $800 in it considering the purchase price, the new tubes and tube rings, the speaker, and the cap job. I only got the cap job done because it was in the shop for a minor repair and while he had the amp open I pulled the trigger on the cap job, just because I know they wear out over time. I play that amp once a month over 3 days to keep the caps charged up and it is always plugged in.

I've really been contemplating this question, and trying to reconcile my desires with my budget is, as always, an issue.

Budget aside, the sound I'm seeking is in the previous video I linked re: the pickups I have, and, in these videos, in the guitar demos... It's worth the watch, imo. I have no affiliation with the band, store, or player... I just really dig the tones.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Please do report back... I'm about to start amp shopping in earnest. I could use all the info I can get. ;)

What sort of amp and sound are you looking for?

Low watt? High watt? Loud and clean with a lot of headroom, medium or high gain, bright, dark... ?

Fendery, Marshally, Voxy, MESA/Boogieish... ? Combo or head and cab? Do you prefer 12" speakers, or 10", or... ?

"Play the amp" varying your guitars volume-knobs and your "touch"? Or consistently the same?

"Pedal platform"? Effects-loop necessary?

Channel-switching, two or more? One AMAZING channel?

What kind of price range?

Tea-infusion? Incense-burner? Ovaltine?

DBM, didn't you install a hemp speaker? Not sure if I'm remembering this correctly? I remember you having yours gone through by an amp tech.

Anyway I think the Hot Rod 410 DeVille weighs about 55lbs and the 112 Hot Rod Deluxe weighs about 41lbs. The weight difference makes the Deluxe a lot easier to pack around town. It's about 40 watts (tube) which is more than enough and most of the smaller wattage tube amps weigh in about the same. So you get more bang for the buck...

Wraub, you can find them used for $300 to $500. A new one runs about $800.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-hot-rod-deluxe-iv-40w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amplifier/k47974000001000?

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

I've been watching videos and doing a lot of reading, and the Katana looks really promising, until I see firmware updates, and digital fizz, and sound editor menus... The same with the Yamaha THR, good but so much I really don't need or want.

I just want to play, to plug in and go- good cleans, maybe some dirt when desired, plays nice with pedals, not too big, too loud, or too expensive.If it's got a speaker out to drive a bigger cab if desired, even better, but not mandatory at all.

Maybe I do just want a good simple amp that rocks. All the tone videos I've been watching lately seem to point that way, and also point to amps I could never justify buying, and definitely can't afford anyway. But, it's the tone I want.

Still looking.

I've been watching videos and doing a lot of reading, and the Katana looks really promising, until I see firmware updates, and digital fizz, and sound editor menus... The same with the Yamaha THR, good but so much I really don't need or want.

I just want to play, to plug in and go- good cleans, maybe some dirt when desired, plays nice with pedals, not too big, too loud, or too expensive.If it's got a speaker out to drive a bigger cab if desired, even better, but not mandatory at all.

Maybe I do just want a good simple amp that rocks. All the tone videos I've been watching lately seem to point that way, and also point to amps I could never justify buying, and definitely can't afford anyway. But, it's the tone I want.

Still looking.

I have the Katana 100 combo, the 6 button footswitch is optional and fully functional - I have it too. That amp cured me of pedalboards, I don't want another one - ever.

I can plug 1 TRS cord (I bring a spare but so far no need) into the amp and the footswitch - done. I have 4 preset channels - I could have 8 but I only use 3 of them and mostly just 2.

The 2 that I use are set up as follows. Channel 1 gets used 90% of the time. By turning the output switch to 1/2 of one watt and turning up the master volume, I get a "clean" sound that has a bit of grit and sings. If I step on footswitch #6 I can then use the footswitch #1 to kick in a nice, grindy singing overdrive. Footswitch #2 turns modulation on or off (mostly off, currently chorus) and footswitch #4 could turn reverb on and off except I leave it on. Super simple.

To go to the second preset channel, I step on footswitch #6, then on #3 which is the preset channel I like. Click on #6 again and now I have a pedal board that gives me a lusher, cleaner clean sound. #1 gives me a RAT tone, sustain for days. #2 gives me a delay - #3 is tap tempo so I can easily match the delay to the song. #4 remains reverb and remains on.

The other 2 channels have an octave and an auto Wah (in case we play Superstition).

The computer program is super simple to use, I didn't really have to learn how to use it. Favorite feature (besides versatility) is that any "knob" you click on also becomes a slider just to the right of the graphic of the effect.

There are seven knobs on the chorus, you can really dial it in. A single USB cord and you are up and running.

You don't have to update firmware, I have the original Katana and never bothered with the firmware. It works great, the firmware just adds some effects.

Once I programmed it, the only knob I ever turn is the Master volume. There is a Line Out on the back with a speaker sim built in and on always. I plug a cord from that to a Whirlwind IMP 2 DI and then a mic cable to the PA. I've shut the speaker off on the amp (the power switch will do that too) and it sounded just like my amp but coming through the speakers.

So, it isn't complicated at all, I got rid of a pile of pedals hooked up with a buttload of cords, I got rid of the pedal board power cable and I can plug straight into the amp with one cord so I got rid of that extra cord too. Plus, no mic, no stand, just a small, light DI box and a couple of cords behind the amp instead of out on the stage. Did I mention I've never re-programmed it? Or that I could plug in an expression pedal and have a wah, volume or adjust effects on the fly if I wanted to?

All that said, I've been thinking that I should sell this one and get the Katana 50. I could have a smaller foot switch and just reach down once in a while and hit the tap tempo button on the amp. I do that already on my Roland Cube 40GX, maybe twice a night. I'd put the amp on the same small folding footstool that I use for the Cube, very easy to reach over, do a double tap and get back to playing. I hate fiddling with stuff!!!!!

Either the presentation you watched was overly complicated or you've made it complicated in your own mind. It's not, it's butt-simple compared to tweaking a chain of effects so they all sound right and then dealing with knobs that somehow change their own settings. I don't have to stand on stage and reach down to the floor to adjust things anymore, I hated that too.

I won't be upset if you don't like the Katana but I think you owe it to yourself to at least give one a spin first. They do sound good. A friend uses one for blues, he plays it like an old Fender Tweed, turn it up till it sounds good and leave it there. No footswitch, no programming. It sounds great.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I am but awaiting a new guitar case and I'm going to GC/Sam Ash and comparing.

I have nothing against the Katana, and I'm actually eager to actually try one out... I just know me, and I'd rather plug in and play than wade through menus and options I may never use, so the stuff I've seen on it and similar amps does seem a little off putting. When I want to be creative I like the process to feel easy, rather than like a process, if that makes sense.

I am but awaiting a new guitar case and I'm going to GC/Sam Ash and comparing.

I have nothing against the Katana, and I'm actually eager to actually try one out... I just know me, and I'd rather plug in and play than wade through menus and options I may never use, so the stuff I've seen on it and similar amps does seem a little off putting. When I want to be creative I like the process to feel easy, rather than like a process, if that makes sense.

Understood, and I've been there. Katana is not about "wading through menus". The software was very user friendly and simple

As far as options go, I used to look down at my pedalboard and think "which pedal do I want to use and does it need tweaking?" That's gone now.

Most important to me - after owning a buttload of tube amps and having tubes fail on stage a few times - I am getting some great tones and using a reliable piece of gear. Tube amps themselves may be reliable but tubes are not, they are more like light bulbs - you know they will fail but you don't know when.

Reporting back Wraub, on the shoot out with 3 PAF's. My 57 US Gibson humbuckers won out over the other two guitars with PAF humbuckers that were the designers version (clones). The same clones I changed out. The guitars were all the same made by Peerless. Mine was the top of the line model as compared to the other two. All 3 guitars were turned all the way up on tone and volume knobs and ran through the same cord to the same amp using the same amp settings. I won't name the pup manufacturer as he is a very good one with a very good rep and I don't want to say anything that would change that. I think his pups are very good and would do very well for recording and you could always adjust the amps up in volume and/or tone and they will work just fine in a live situation. I also changed my pots (audio taper 500K Gibson) and caps (Orange drop 22uf). After the shoot out, I ran mine the way I normally do (volumes around 8 and tones around 8) and the pups really sounded even better! I'm planning to leave them adjusted the way I like them and just use my Boss Comp-CP1x clean boost back in line for lead and rhythm changes without changing my settings. We segued away from the pups test and starting talking necks and other comparisons. Then just started playing and singing. It was a fun day! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Thanks for the report, Larryz... I've come to understand a little about PAF pickups, and adjusting the height of the pickups and the polepieces individually as needed, and I've noticed slight adjustments can make big changes. Maybe with some time to fiddle about with things, you could make them sound more alike than different, but if you like what you have, then just enjoy that. :)

I played a new Epi LP for a minute today, and I thought it sounded very good but a little bass heavy. The pickups I have are very clear and distinct but I have them set up to avoid a lot of that bassness (a real word, I swear :) ) . What would you say defines your preferences vs. the others in the shoot out?

...and, I just got back from GC with a Katana 50 Mk2. It is unwrapped and plugged in and waiting, right over there next to the guitars.

I'll be back. :)

Wraub, I read your review and it sounds good so far. Keep us posted! On the PAF adjustments, my tech likes to raise the treble side and I tell him no, just make them even as I like an even amount of bass and treble. I take one of my amps over after the swap and get him to set it to my liking on both pups. He does the pole piece and height adjustments using gauges to start out with. I'm not married to the settings and after a jam or two, I did raise the treble side just a tad as my higher up 12th fret leads were losing a little of my treble volume. Too much on the treble side doesn't do it for me as I like throwing in little bass runs when chording.

My front and back pups are matching and I don't need more power at the bridge. I just need the twangy treble country sound at the bridge, a nice blend in the middle and more jazzy sound at the neck. When we were moving pickups around I was amazed at how much difference in the two pups was made just by exchanging the same exact pickups at the bridge and neck locations. I could never be a one pick up kind of guy at the neck (jazz) or at the bridge (rock). I really like having two volumes and two tones. Once I get them where I like them, I can use dynamics and play an electric like an acoustic but have 3 different sound settings. My two humbuckers do not have a lot distance between them but enough to avoid phasing and keep it clean. I don't have any magnetic pull to speak of causing tonal changes.

The guitar sounds great. Playing it up against the two others in the same amp and/or in my Roland EX50. It sounds way better at home playing through my Fender Deluxe Tone Master. So amps can make just as big a difference in tone and volume than just comparing the pups IMHO. Anyway, experiment away with the height, angle, pole pieces, strings, amps, settings, etc. and have fun! I'm a big fan of 57 Gibson PAF humbuckers! Hope your pups work out great for the genre you like to play in the best! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I have been trying to get brand new pickups in a brand new inexpensive guitar to sound like the vintage goodies, and, after a lot of adjustments, I think we are pretty damn close. The natural sound of the guitar is on the tighter side, and it's been a process getting the warmth I was seeking, but we are pretty much there. Obviously, it's not going to sound like a well broken-in and loved/abused old guitar, but what it's got ain't bad.

Larryz- I have adjusted the pickups and the polepieces countless times, I think I may be done now.

I prefer the treble be defined and full, not piercingly bright but clear and precise, and the lower side to be clear and distinct. I like articulation and clarity, but dislike shrillness and muddiness.These PAF style pickups are good, very accurate at conveying the sound of the guitar, but the pole pieces weren't evenly balanced sonically. All's even soundwise across the range now, but the pole piece screws are all over the place. :D

I like the guitar enough that I got a brand new case for it... I guess it's staying.

Wraub, I would say set it to your ear. Make it please you as best you can. Check it again at night and the next day and a month from now. Conditions change and maybe try it in a different room and outside. Go for what sounds best to you. I agree with your preferences 100%. A lot of how an electric guitar sounds is also going to depend on who is playing it, the amp, settings, etc. Just do the best you can making it a joy for you to play. It may never sound as good as a classic $4,000 Gibson, or it may just blow it away LoL! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

IAll's even soundwise across the range now, but the pole piece screws are all over the place. :D

There is no question that each string in a set will excite the magnetic field of a pickup differently than the rest of the strings. The diameter of the core wire, the type of winding used on the wound strings, the tension the string is tuned to and the pitch of the string - all of these things are different. A wound G is not as loud from the same distance as an unwound G, just for one example.

To complicate things, the arch of the fretboard and the bridge are a factor in the distance from the string to the pickup or pole piece.

And, the closer you put the pickups to the strings, the more those differences stand out. On many guitars, the B string will be much louder than the G or E string.

But, there's more... in some cases (a bone-stock Strat will do this), if you adjust the pickups too close to the strings the magnetic pull will cause a deviation in the vibration speed of the part of the string over the pickup compared to the part of the pickup that is over the fretboard - which does not have a magnetic pull. Several times I've had customers bring guitars in and say they cannot get the guitar to go in tune or stay in tune. And/or they complain that the sustain is shorter than they would like.

Testing shows that the higher up the neck you fret, the worse the problem becomes. The drag of the magnets on the strings affects intonation to the point the guitar is unplayable. The only cure is to lower the pickups. More than once I've done that, got the guitar properly intonated and sounding in tune and given it back to the customer. I can explain what the problem is all day long and sure enough, they will be back next week with the same exact problem because they wanted more output and put the pickups back where they were - causing the problem to return.

To further elaborate, this is why vintage Fender pickups have the magnets set the way they do, typically on a genuine 50's or 60's Strat pickup, the D and G string pole pieces are higher, the B is lower and the E is in between the 2. Some of this is compensation for the 7.5" radius of the fretboard, some of it is compensation for the B string being louder than a wound G string or plain E string. All of it is why the B string on Jimi's upside down Strat was loud, he liked that.

One of the reasons that vintage pickups have a mellower tone is that the Alnico magnets they used back then lose considerable magnetic force over time, which softens the sound. That is a major reason why some pickup builders offer Alnico 2 (weaker) all the way up to Ceramic (stronger) magnets - it is a big factor in the tone of the pickup.

My best advice may well go unheeded but it comes from decades of dealing with these inconsistencies - Lower the pickups. Yes, you have lower output. Turn the amp up, it will sound better turned up anyway. Too much noise? It could be pickups, it could be your signal chain (one of the reasons I no longer use pedals - noise).

My favorite vintage pickups are the Danelectro Lipstick pickup - which has a bar magnet with wire wrapped around it and a Gretsch Supertron, which is similar to a Gibson hum bucker but with fewer winds (higher fidelity) and single solid "pole pieces" for each coil. These are both non-adjustable pickups, the height of the ends of the pickups and be adjusted but nothing else can. I've had no problems with uneven sound with either one, the Dano pickup does hum a bit more but Nat Daniels designed them to be fully shielded so not as bad as a Strat (there is reason for the metal cover on the neck pickup of a Tele AND the "ashtray" that covered the bridge...).

Mostly, I've gone to EMG active pickups. They have a reputation for being harsh and "active sounding" but that is the fault of whoever wrote the installation instructions for them - which advise setting the pickups as close as possible to the strings. That does sound horrible. Back them away and they smooth right up, plus they are virtually silent, can drive a line without signal loss and have a very low magnetic field which results in a sustain characteristic nearly identical to the same guitar not having any pickups at all. I realize my choice is not always popular but my guitars always sound great (and not just to me!) so I don't care about opinions.

Hopefully the above diatribe provides food for thought. Cheers, Kuru

I've definitely not got them too high, if anything they're slightly lower than typical P.A.F. specs dictate, but that's where they sound the best to me. I usually put pickups where they sound the best to me, and measure afterwards.

I think I really like these pickups- the neck is really good, the bridge is still a little bright but definitely in the "Tele on steroids" camp.

I definitely prefer lower wind, lower resistance pickups, in my basses and guitars, but I think I'm over active basses. I have two that hardly ever get played. :(

• 1 month later...

Update- Still playing the guitar every day, still enjoying the pickups. To date, I have adjusted the truss rod once, and tuned the guitar half a dozen times or so since I got it, and it just keeps on going.

The guitar seems to be settling in, it was brighter at first and felt tighter (more than just new strings breaking in), it all feels more balanced now. I think the next set of strings will be interesting. I'm keeping brand and gauge the same, but I'm curious to hear the guitar after a change. I'd say it doesn't do that low-end thump that some LP style guitars have, but it does the Tele on steroids thing very well, and, bonus, can get into jazzy chords nicely, and grunts very well with effects. The light-ish weight may play a part there.

I've played through a variety of pedals and used the effects in my amp, and the clarity and note articulation/distinction is amazing, clean or dirty, but going into total crunch mode while clearly hearing every note is a nice change from muddy overwound pickups I've used.

I got a budget Gator case that fits the guitar well, just in case I ever want to annoy others outside the house with my musical assault, but home or abroad, it's a pretty good guitar. That said, I have seem some negative reviews of this model, but some I think may have been affected by great expectations. Don't expect a Gibson-killer, or even an Epiphone-killer- It's made to a price point, and some will be better than others just because, but that means some will not.

Organic materials plus humans = variables, squared.

For the price, I wasn't expecting a great guitar, but I was hoping for and got a pretty good guitar. ymmv. I have removed the pickguard and poker chip, and added a head stock decal that brings me amusement.

So far, all of the guitar's issues are cosmetic, but I don't really notice them when I'm playing, and nobody else would either. That's good enough for me. And, yes, those are my drums, thanks for asking. :D

20210527-080140.jpg

I'd say it doesn't do that low-end thump that some LP style guitars have...

Some are thuddy and muddy that way...

...but it does the Tele on steroids thing very well, and, bonus, can get into jazzy chords nicely, and grunts very well with effects. The light-ish weight may play a part there.

I've played through a variety of pedals and used the effects in my amp, and the clarity and note articulation/distinction is amazing, clean or dirty, but going into total crunch mode while clearly hearing every note is a nice change from muddy overwound pickups I've used.

Nice. :cool:

...and added a head stock decal that brings me amusement.

It's Boutique! It's a major award! 'Frah - GEELE - éh'...

So far, all of the guitar's issues are cosmetic, but I don't really notice them when I'm playing, and nobody else would either.

Good!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is still curious... I randomly watch videos and read posts about these guitars, and recently watched a video that, after a few minutes, I realized featured my guitar. :o

No affiliation at all, guys and store in the video I have never met or visited, but, they're poking at my guitar.

Pretty funny, and, also, kinda weird.

If anyone is still curious... I randomly watch videos and read posts about these guitars, and recently watched a video that, after a few minutes, I realized featured my guitar. :o

No affiliation at all, guys and store in the video I have never met or visited, but, they're poking at my guitar.

Pretty funny, and, also, kinda weird.

Cool.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Did you bookmark it?

Coincidences are pretty fun!

No, but it's been up for 6 months or so, and it's one of the first videos that comes up when searched for, so it's easy to find.

Funny enough, I've actually watched the video before without realizing it was my guitar. :(

FWIW, there was a Firefly in the Used Gear section of my nearest GC, and it flew out of there . . . Somebody liked it enough to grab it right away.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Depending on the model, it may have been a great deal, based on what I've seen with used stuff at GC.

Some Fireflys have reportedly had issues with intonation, i.e. improper bridge placement, and I have also heard there are a few with badly drilled bridge/tailpiece posts which have been filled with wood shavings and/or glue to fill the gaps.Word is, if there's a washer under the bridge, the holes are wrongly drilled.

These still seem to be the minority, and there's some speculation that the company behind Firefly was rushing recent models to meet demand, and the issue is only on more recent models. And, apparently, not on all models, mostly on the LPs and LP Jr style models. Apparently the 335s are still a safe bet, but no really recent reports to go by.

So, even more like playing whack-a-mole to get a good one, and very much a buyer beware situation. I'm glad I found one locally to inspect in person, and besides the cosmetic issues noted above, I'm yet to have anything majorly wrong on mine.

We shall see. ;)

• 1 month later...

Almost 7 months in, still going strong. Still enjoying the FFLP, still playing it pretty much every day. In a state of curiosity I recently added a Gotoh aluminum tailpiece, and the change that made was amazing, and kinda mind blowing. More of everything, it really enhanced the harmonics or something because it's almost a different guitar now, lively and even more enjoyable. Oddly, the strings feel a little slinkier and easier to bend, too. I kept the same strings when I changed the pieces, it's a real actual difference in sound and feel.

I got a Gotoh TOM bridge and some Gotoh locking tuners too, because one person was selling them all new in one sale. I may still add those at some point, but right now I'm not in any hurry.

Currently the guitar weighs 8lbs4.5ozs, plays and sounds really good, and draws me to it like a beacon of wonder and delight.

A recommended and inexpensive thing to try if you think you might want something different, and easy enough to reverse if desired.