Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is KC access slow?

We must have just had another attack. Got an HTTP 504 error after 5 minutes of waiting for a post edit to submit. No connection to the origin server or something like that.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This was a new experience for me: Logged on normally, then tagged a thread and discovered that I'd been logged off. Must have caught the logoff thing right on the cusp.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

• 3 weeks later...
I didn't notice any slowdowns for about a week. The last few days there have been frequent timeouts and/or host server response errors randomly, whether accessing the site, posting, or changing pages.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Hey Dave,

When I login, it gets saved to my browser in the form of cookies. These have a 1 week expiration period. This is why everyone is getting logged out once every week.

Maybe you or Jim could look if this expiration period is configurable in the forum admin interface.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Hey Dave,

When I login, it gets saved to my browser in the form of cookies. These have a 1 week expiration period. This is why everyone is getting logged out once every week.

Maybe you or Jim could look if this expiration period is configurable in the forum admin interface.

:thu:

I figured it was something like that....and that it had been added in one of the updates, since we never had the problem for mot of the forum's existence.

I've looked around the control panel, but haven't been able to find anything like that, though... :idk:

Thank you, brother!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I don't believe it's a timeout thing.

The logouts happen for me totally randomly. Sometimes I can go for several weeks without it happening. Sometime I get logged out as I navigate from one page to another on the site. It's been happening to me less in the last month or so, but with how random it is, perhaps that's just coincidence.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Yeah...but doesn't something have to trigger this? I know enough to realize I know nothing...but logicially it seems to me this happens too often to too many people to be totally random...especially considering it never happened before the last year or so.

I switch devices i use all the time - I've wondered if that was a factor. I do not switch browsers so I'm pretty sure that's not a factor. It happens at all different times of day so I've eliminated that in my head as well.

dB

I just hit a few threads with no problem then when I clicked on the link for this thread, it took a bit to load. Irony? :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

From what I've heard, the fact that we have 20+ years of data may not be working in our favor. When this forum was designed over two decades ago, I'm not sure how clearly they were able to think forward two decades to the problems that might arise....

Makes me wonder if some sort of archiving might makes sense - as has been discussed before - or even whether it's worth looking at something like migrating to a different platform. :idk:

dB

If you do end up looking at other platforms, here's my two cents, only as a user...

... The one used by Casiomusicforums seems to be among the best

... XenForo seems pretty decent (keyboardforums, thegearpage.net)

... I don't like the one used by Gearspace (Gearslutz) because their search functions are even worse than the one here. ;-) (As an aside... I noticed that some other PHP implementations seem to have better Search functions than the one here, at least in terms of date restrictions and sometimes in other ways... i.e. norduserforum, yamahamusicians, rolandclan, korgforums)

... The one used by Yamahasynth is bad, for too many reasons to list.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

When the forum first moved to this software I would have some issues. Mostly I would log in, type a long post, hit submit, and find that I had been logged out and I would loose everything. This has not happened to me in months now. When I log in now I usually stay logged in for the day. I do get the occasional delay when I submit a post or open a page but it does eventually go through.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I'm not clear as to how having old info is causing slowness. Unless someone--or perhaps multiple someones--are actively searching through the old threads, I don't see how that would affect the current ones. Presumably, the recent threads would be in drive sectors that are tightly clustered and be easy to access.

Perhaps a defrag is in order?

That said, I'm still experiencing logoffs and slowness...whatever the cause might be.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

It's gotten really slow, but inconsistent, the last two days or so.