Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any good OB-X (Prince) emulations for iOS?

Hi all,

I need to play Prince - Little Red Corvette and 1999 live and I'd love to find a good way to do it with just iPad/iPhone instead of having to use a laptop. Unfortunately, I don't have any keyboards that have this patch built in. I wondered if anyone has found any good usable versions of the Oberheim OB-X patch for these songs on iOS? Thanks.

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zeeon is a nice IOS synth that probably could get you pretty close.

I'm not sure any of these will have the actual patch you are looking for, but then typically I have had to program patch into on most keyboards and apps if I want something close. And occasionally they DO have a patch made to sound like a certain song, and I don't think it's very good!

+1 for OB-Xd. Great little program, so much fun to use.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Thank you guys!! Syntronik looks awesome but it was expensive and my iPad mini 2 is pretty old. I went with OB-Xd, it was 10 bucks. I'll play around with it and see if I have any luck.

Eric, thanks for asking. My live rig will be based on a Studiologic Numa Compact 2x on the bottom tier and not sure yet on the top. For now, just a soundless 61-key MIDI controller but I'm really curious about the Casio CT-S1 or S400. The Numa has some nice sounds and it's very light weight-wise but unfortunately its sonic shaping capabilities are severely crippled. Case in point - I'm also playing Summer Madness by Kool & The Gang, but the Numa can't do the following:

Mellotron string chord swell - No ADSR Attack to change. (Guess I'll have to do this with FX or a volume pedal, or just a sample on the iPad)

Saw lead - No glide/portamento setting in the synth engine. (Was planning on using the iOS Moog Minimoog app for this)

Very frustrating. I don't have a fancy expensive board so I reckon you can only get the bells and whistles that you are able/willing to pay for.

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

For what it's worth, I don't have a great ear for this kind of thing, but I've had fairly good luck just googling something like "how to make 1999 synth patch", following directions, and experimenting, as long as I'm OK with getting the ballpark, not nailing the sound exactly.

But, yes, you do at a minimum need something with filters and envelopes and the other basic stuff, but I don't think that should require anything terribly expensive. Neither of the Casios you mention would do it. Whatever happened to the XW-P1? That would do it I think.