Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio gives the CT line a bump

Thinking about eventually using this as a replacement for my CT-S300 in my couch iPad rig. This would be mostly to get better speakers, although it sounds like it has a decent piano so would give me the option of using without iPad.

Mike: how does the keybed compare to the CT-S300 (which I really like for the price) ?

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Mike: how does the keybed compare to the CT-S300 (which I really like for the price) ?

They didn't reinvent it but there are some slight improvements. Obviously due to the sound engine the touch to sound connection is a completely different experience.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• 2 weeks later...

I pre-ordered my CT-S1 yesterday. I"m almost 60 and have owned dozens of keyboards and this is the first time I"ve done that!

I"m waiting on the Bluetooth unit to see what people"s experience with it is. A question for Mike or whoever knows: can you run the Bluetooth midi and also receive audio back on Bluetooth at the same time. I would like to play iPad soft synths from CT-S1 and then have iPad audio come back to CT-S1. If it can do that with acceptable latency, then I"m going to be a very happy camper. I currently have my iPad mini veclro"d to my CT-S300 and cabled via USB/lightning and headphone audio cable. This would eliminate all that.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

I pre-ordered my CT-S1 yesterday. I"m almost 60 and have owned dozens of keyboards and this is the first time I"ve done that!

I"m waiting on the Bluetooth unit to see what people"s experience with it is. A question for Mike or whoever knows: can you run the Bluetooth midi and also receive audio back on Bluetooth at the same time. I would like to play iPad soft synths from CT-S1 and then have iPad audio come back to CT-S1. If it can do that with acceptable latency, then I"m going to be a very happy camper. I currently have my iPad mini veclro"d to my CT-S300 and cabled via USB/lightning and headphone audio cable. This would eliminate all that.

I could do a test for you. There is latency associated with Bluetooth audio but I have not tried a completely wireless round trip. I'll confirm the playability and let you know.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

My question is: if you don't run Bluetooth, can you send USB MIDI and receive back USB audio?

Cheers, Mike.

No it doesn't do Audio over USB. It has an 1/8th inch stereo audio input. So you'd need USB MIDI out and the audio cable back in to the speakers.

-Mike Martin

Casio

I could do a test for you. There is latency associated with Bluetooth audio but I have not tried a completely wireless round trip. I'll confirm the playability and let you know.

Thanks Mike..will look forward to your report

www.stickmanor.com

• 1 month later...
I just received a notification that my credit card was charged for my CT-S1 preorder, so I'm expecting it to ship today or tomorrow. Looking forward to comparing it to the CT-X700.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

Whelp! I got to try the CT-S1 in-store, and I was pleasantly surprised. So much so, that my only issue was picking a color (see attached). I"ll go have some lunch first to mull over the color, but I"ve been jonesing for a portable 61-key since I sold the Go Piano, and this makes a nice (but very slight) upgrade. Having experience with the Go Piano, I"m liking the CT-S1 better.

2048.thumb.jpg.d60fb5793b65fd512602a6c45ef231ab.jpg

I really don't need a 61-key battery-powered portable board with onboard speakers but ...

damn.

I'll probably get a black one.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I don't need it either, but I'll probably get it. Alternate keytar to my AX-Edge... 5 octaves, yet smaller (36.6" wide instead of 49.3"). Obviously not as capable in very many ways (sound library size, sound editability, aftertouch, pitch/mod, MIDI zoning, 5-pin MIDI jacks...), but could possibly be a better choice in some situations. I'd go for white for better stage visibility of the buttons. Or for playing weddings. (I wonder if the built-in speakers will be loud enough for that?)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I still want one ... in stock, especially the red ones.

I ended up getting the white CT-S1, but all 3 retro color designs look pretty cool in-person. For US$199, Casio did a good job. I'm finding it a fun-playable keyboard. (pics here)

I really like the form factor and I hope Casio thinks about doing a "Pro version". Nothing crazy, keep it simple - pro I/O, an audio interface, and call it a day. But this works nicely right now. I might even get a 2nd one just because.

Notes:

The Gator GKB-49 fits the S1 pretty snugly. Downside is that it doesn't have backpack straps.

https://www.gatorcases.com/products/keyboard/keyboard-gig-bags/gkb/49-note-keyboard-gig-bag-gkb-49/

There's also an official Casio bag, which is back-packable. Looks pretty good, but you have to slip the keyboard in from the "long-side".

https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/emi/option/list/5_carrying_case/

I still want one ... in stock, especially the red ones.

I ended up getting the white CT-S1, but all 3 retro color designs look pretty cool in-person. For US$199, Casio did a good job. I'm finding it a fun-playable keyboard. (pics here)

Cool, will comment on the other thread.

Still showing as preorder rather than in stock at my favorite area shop. They'll come when they'll come.

Got my black CT-S1 today and played around with it for a half hour. As I mentioned earlier, this is to replace my CT-S300 as my couch rig, so my comments are in comparison to that unit.

- Keyboard: one of the cool things about the CT-S300 was that it had an unweighted action that was pretty dang good for playing both piano and non-piano sounds. The CT-S1 is in the same ballpark but slightly firmer, which I think I will like.

- Sounds: There is no comparison here. I use my CT-S300 only with an iPad mini; most of the sounds were typical of low-end consumer keyboards. The CT-S1 sounds are well-chosen (although I don't have much use for the "casio classic" tones) and the quality of a low-end professional keyboard (say in the $500-$700 range). I'm mostly interested in the piano and e-piano sounds and these are definitely good enough to use on a gig. The other sounds are quite decent also.

- Speakers: Again no comparison here. I played a couple tunes from iPad/Spotify into the audio input of each unit. The CT-S300 sounds like a cheap 90's boombox and the CT-S1 sounds like a modern low end sound bar. It's loud enough to play at a small room gathering and compete with acoustic guitars and low amplification. The surround effect is a nice bonus and subtle.

- Aesthetics: It's definitely a more professional styling and pretty attractive. The music stand is much more substantial (metal vs. plastic). It doesn't really lock in on the back so I'll have to see how well it stays in place when playing on my lap. I had my iPad mini "permanently" velcro'd to the top of my CT-S300. You can' really do that on the CT-S1 beacause of the speaker cloth, but because the internal sounds are so much better, I don't think I would do it anyway. I'll probably put the iPad on the music stand when I use it.

So early in the process, but it seems like this is an absolute winner for the money. I pre-ordered mine and got a 15% discount so for $170, there really is nothing to complain about. This is really the couch rig/campfire instrument I've been waiting for over the last decade. Cheers to Casio!

Related to this, I now have a street rig that I can haul in 1 or 2 trips (as opposed to my normal Kronos/Stage/QSC rig which is 9 items and at least 6 trips):

- Spacestation

- light weight K&M two tier keyboard stand (K&M 18880/18882) with:

Bottom tier: CT-S1

Top tier shelf with following:

- USB hub, power strip and cables attached on the bottom of the shelf

- a Samson Graphite-25 (which has been in my closet for years) for a few extra keys, pitch and mod wheels and some knobs.

- iPad mini (running Keystage with various AUM synths: Module, B3-X, iFretless Bass, Neo-Soul Keys, etc)

- Soundcraft Notepad mixer - for iPad audio I/O and mic inputs.

Don't know how much I'll use this rig but it's a fun project using stuff I already had.

www.stickmanor.com

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

"Stage E Piano" is the clean tone Rhodes without effects? Is the same Rhodes found in the CT-X700 ?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Rhodes at 11:50, Phaser on. Is it the same Phaser Rhodes as on the CT-X700?

pretty nice Rhodes and piano, I ordered.

0:24 Phaser Rhodes, would have loved to hear the clean tone in this situation...

1:03 clean tone Rhodes [video:youtube]
"Stage E PIano"

Rhodes at 11:50, Phaser on. Is it the same Phaser Rhodes as on the CT-X700?

According to the LEDs on front, that is the Stage E. Piano. (Not the phaser E. Piano which would be the next LED to right.)

www.stickmanor.com

Got my black CT-S1 today and played around with it for a half hour. ...

Related to this, I now have a street rig that I can haul in 1 or 2 trips (as opposed to my normal Kronos/Stage/QSC rig which is 9 items and at least 6 trips):

- Spacestation

Mine (in black) should arrive tomorrow. How do you connect CT-S1 to Spacestation or other audio out? I was disappointed to read that it does not have L & R 1/4" outs, so I will have to take the headphone miniplug out to a 1/4" stereo splitter to run stereo 1/4" outs. I've had to do this before so I have the cables and adapters and whatever I need, but I sure wish I could run 1/4" cables direct from the CT-S1 to my portable speaker or to 2 QSC powered speakers.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I sure wish I could run 1/4" cables direct from the CT-S1 to my portable speaker or to 2 QSC powered speakers.

That's easy, get one of these cables and pull the two 1/4" wires apart (initially they break apart only a short distance from the 1/4" plugs). Good selection of lengths too. I use this to connect my MacBook Pro's headphone output to my two K8s.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WRBN35/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0

I sure wish I could run 1/4" cables direct from the CT-S1 to my portable speaker or to 2 QSC powered speakers.

That's easy, get one of these cables and pull the two 1/4" wires apart (initially they break apart only a short distance from the 1/4" plugs). Good selection of lengths too. I use this to connect my MacBook Pro's headphone output to my two K8s.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WRBN35/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0

Thanks. I already use this adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YMP-137-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068O5E/ref=sr_1_13

I guess I was whining about not being able to just connect my 1/4 inch cables directly. Not a big deal.

Got my black CT-S1 today and played around with it for a half hour. ...

- Spacestation

Mine (in black) should arrive tomorrow. How do you connect CT-S1 to Spacestation or other audio out? I was disappointed to read that it does not have L & R 1/4" outs, so I will have to take the headphone miniplug out to a 1/4" stereo splitter to run stereo 1/4" outs. I've had to do this before so I have the cables and adapters and whatever I need, but I sure wish I could run 1/4" cables direct from the CT-S1 to my portable speaker or to 2 QSC powered speakers.

I have a a 1/8 " stereo to two 1/4" mono cable....which will run to Notepad mixer (which will send outputs to Spacestation)

www.stickmanor.com

I have a a 1/8 " stereo to two 1/4" mono cable....which will run to Notepad mixer (which will send outputs to Spacestation)

Exactly what I mentioned in my post above yours. I got a 15' guy and pulled the two 1/4" cable section apart so each 1/4" cable could reach my K8s that are on opposite sides in back of me. That's a cleaner way to do it than using an adapter, imo. It also lessens the possibility of messing with the minijack since it's potentially less weight and/or lateral force on the jack â which I'm betting is soldered to a board, not panel mounted. I'm pretty nervous about this since it was a USB cable moving slightly as I played that put enough stress on the jack in my A800 Pro to kill it (the jack, not the A800!) â more than once. If you lack DIY soldering skills or a friend with them, you'd have to pony up $215 for a new main board, which was 3/4 of the cost of a new A800 at the time. I have no idea how the minijack is attached to this Casio keyboard however.

Y'know, I think I have a stereo miniplug to 2 1/4 inch cables around here somewhere. I just have to remember all the places where I put cables ... maybe it's in a gig bag that I don't use anymore ... sometimes it's just easier to order another one on Amazon

:hider:

One difference I found between CT-S300 and CT-S1 on how the audio in works:

On CT-S300: you could turn the keyboard volume down and it would affect the internal sounds separate from the audio volume in. For example, I could turn the keyboard volume all the way down and just hear my iPad sounds coming in through the audio in.

On CT-S1: it appears that turning down the volume knob affects both. Additionally, adjusting the primary part volume seems to affect the audio volume in. I believe the manual is incorrect on this as it states: "If the volume of the external device notes sounds by this Digital Keyboard lower than the volume level of the notes you are playing on the keyboard, adjust the volume level of each Digital Keyboard part to balance them."

This concerned me at first because it meant I couldn't use the CT-S1 to play sounds from my iPad without having it's own internal sound mixed in. Then I realized there is a LOCAL OFF function to accomplish the same thing

www.stickmanor.com