Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lachy Doley in Roger Waters� Band

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost feel like he deserves better than that.

I wish him all the good paying gigs in the world, and I'm sure Roger Waters is at the top of that list, but musically....

Well, let's just say that I'd much rather see the Lachey Doley trio in a 500 seater than Roger Waters in a 15,000 seater.

So yeah: good for Lachey, can't help but root for dudes like him.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I wish him all the good paying gigs in the world, and I'm sure Roger Waters is at the top of that list, but musically....

Well, let's just say that I'd much rather see the Lachey Doley trio in a 500 seater than Roger Waters in a 15,000 seater.

So yeah: good for Lachey, can't help but root for dudes like him.

I'm lucky enough to be seeing the Lachy trio next Saturday night in a room that seats 50 or so - can't wait :)

Well, let's just say that I'd much rather see the Lachy Doley trio in a 500 seater than Roger Waters in a 15,000 seater.

So yeah: good for Lachy, can't help but root for dudes like him.

This.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Having been lucky enough to have done both over the last three or so years (although Lachy"s gig was more like a 200-300 seater) I can promise you they were both wonderful experiences.

I'm lucky enough to be seeing the Lachy trio next Saturday night in a room that seats 50 or so - can't wait :)

Have you met him in person yet? I bet he would like to meet you after having done the podcast. I hope you can do that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

He"s class act. Saw him at a park in Pennsylvania. He came out after the show to make sure to meet people and take pics. Talked b3 for a few too. Before the show he was playing around with a family and talking to father and son checking out some keys they brought to show him.

He definitely deserves the Waters gig and many more!

Considering the impact of Covid-19 on live performance gigging it is truly a NO BRAINER just how great this opportunity is for Lachy Doley. If the long list of all that is necessary gets a green light people will choose to attend a Waters concert while they might be reluctant for many things less. I suspect it will have to be a pretty bright green light to get the pre-Covid turnout Waters was accustomed to but this could be something really great in a celebratory sense as well if everything is ripe.

Roger Waters has been touring with a spectacular show in recent years. Regardless of being considered a curmudgeon he treated and paid his band extremely well even when his tour was getting a disappointing turnout at the beginning of his solo career. Waters is rolling in wealth. He could retire. He has made his contribution to the world. He does not have to tour. These later tours have been as much about making the most of his legacy as they have been about the political platform they provide. Doley gets to experience being part of one of the greatest shows that have ever been assembled AND they are paying him! and quite well at that.

I would never fault a musician for taking any good paying gig. But I'm just curious whether he's being hired to be the Lachy Doly we know from his own band or, instead, just a super-competent Hammond player. I've seen Waters live and organ was an important part of the mix, but it was also very much a subtle, supporting instrument. "Subtle" and "Lachy Doly" are not words I'm used to thinking of in the same sentence. No wrong answer to this question, just curious to see how it plays out.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Wait... are we really questioning that a great Hammond player has been hired to play in the most popular hammond-driven music EVER? Pink Floyd music at its heart is hammond, minimoog and Gilmour's guitar. Apart from being probably the most epic and iconic music that the 70s gave to the world. I think any keyboard player in his proper senses would pay hard cash to be given that honor...and instead people here are talking like it's somehow a slight at Doley's abilities? Man, this is a really tough crowd :D

I'm just curious whether he's being hired to be the Lachy Doly we know from his own band or, instead, just a super-competent Hammond player.

When I saw The Wall tour the band was playing the record, note for note. Even the solos. I'd give it for granted that Doley will do the same, or Waters will eat him alive after -or more probably, during- the first show.

... perhaps a spotlight moment or two where he might show off a bit more. Perhaps a little extra flair and sauce in the parts, but still all of the parts.

I don't know, Waters has been ripping apart for 40 years the last musician who tried to steal the show from him... :cop:

Have you met him in person yet? I bet he would like to meet you after having done the podcast. I hope you can do that.

Hey Joe - I haven't met him yet but plan on introducing myself on Saturday night - will try to get a pic :)

Wait... are we really questioning that a great Hammond player has been hired to play in the most popular hammond-driven music EVER? Pink Floyd music at its heart is hammond, minimoog and Gilmour's guitar. Apart from being probably the most epic and iconic music that the 70s gave to the world. I think any keyboard player in his proper senses would pay hard cash to be given that honor...and instead people here are talking like it's somehow a slight at Doley's abilities? Man, this is a really tough crowd :D

I'm just curious whether he's being hired to be the Lachy Doly we know from his own band or, instead, just a super-competent Hammond player.

When I saw The Wall tour the band was playing the record, note for note. Even the solos. I'd give it for granted that Doley will do the same, or Waters will eat him alive after -or more probably, during- the first show.

... perhaps a spotlight moment or two where he might show off a bit more. Perhaps a little extra flair and sauce in the parts, but still all of the parts.

I don't know, Waters has been ripping apart for 40 years the last musician who tried to steal the show from him... :cop:

WHen I interviewed Mr Doley he provided a couple of anecdotes that made it clear he very much understands his role in any band - he won't be showboating, unless Mr Waters wants him to.

When I saw The Wall tour the band was playing the record, note for note. Even the solos.:

I had the same experience and I remember complaining about it at the time. I couldn't comprehend why Waters would squeeze every last bit of spontanaeity out of the show.

That note-for-note thing is the sort of band experience i've always tried to avoid as a player. Of course, my ethics on this point are infinitely flexible.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

When I saw The Wall tour the band was playing the record, note for note. Even the solos.:

I had the same experience and I remember complaining about it at the time. I couldn't comprehend why Waters would squeeze every last bit of spontanaeity out of the show.

That note-for-note thing is the sort of band experience i've always tried to avoid as a player. Of course, my ethics on this point are infinitely flexible.

I also used to cringe at the "note for note" approach, but no more after I played many years in a Beatles tribute, and saw the reaction of the audience when we tried some variations on the songs. People have been hearing and adoring those songs for 50 or more years. They are part of popular culture. And a tribute concert is not the place for fancy reorchestrations, reharmonizations etc: people go there because they want to hear the real thing, or something as close as humanly possible.

If I want to see the Mona Lisa but can't afford a trip to Paris, I will try to get the best possible reproduction in a high quality book, poster or high-res pdf: I will NOT be satisfied with a smart "reinterpretation" with flashy colours and a big open smile.

I guess that's what people going to those shows want. In my case, I appreciated the masterful musicianship in reproducing with such precision every nuance of the record, and most of all the mind-blowing visuals and effects: it was really The Wall in all its original awe-inducing glory brought into the 21st century, and I had goosebumps from literally the first second to the last.

Waters used to change the Pink Floyd songs. In The Flesh has examples of it. Jon Carin's Shine On You Crazy Diamond synthwork was beautiful, and dare I say an enhancement of Wright's original performance. What I have heard of Waters's changes was interesting to me. Sometimes the musician has lost touch with the spirit of the original music and when they change an old song the change does not work. Paul McCartney's live version of Fool On The Hill is extended (or was each time I saw him live at least) and the changes do not sound like anything The Beatles would have done. Gilmour said he told Waters fans want to hear the songs the way they know them when Waters attempted to get everyone doing them differently for Live 8. If you listen to the old bootlegs of Pink Floyd they were always changing them even from venue to venue. Sometimes the songs reached unrecognizable range. Gilmour was still changing them on the second to last Pink Floyd tour (without Waters). There are audience recordings of it. Gilmour's solo live show albums have many changes on certain songs. But there is a place and time for this and in the context of that Live 8 reunion it was not something people would expect or appreciate in Gilmour's view. Given The Wall tour was an anniversary tour Waters appears to have taken Gilmour's point to heart.

I have a bootleg recording of a Waters concert from shortly after he split with Pink Floyd. Without getting off my lazy butt I believe it was made in NY circa 1985.

In this performance he significantly modifies the arrangements of some much-loved PF classics. Some of the 'new' arrangements work magnificently and some sound a little overwrought, particularly when listened to with modern ears.

On the most recent tour, titled 'Us and Them' he more or less played the PF tunes as they"re heard on the albums, but there were notable variations - Great Gig In The Sky immediately springs to mind, as does Welcome to the Machine.

Based on first-hand and video evidence Roger appears to run a very tight and highly-choreographed musical ship. As an experienced side man and amazing player I suspect Lachy will thrive in this environment.

Here's some vid from tonight's Lachy Doley gig:

I had a 10 minute chat with him after the gig - he's rather excited about the Waters gig but is all a bit surreal as well. Lovely bloke who was obviously thrilled to be back gigging.

Based on first-hand and video evidence Roger appears to run a very tight and highly-choreographed musical ship. As an experienced side man and amazing player I suspect Lachy will thrive in this environment.
I saw a review/analysis of Water's "The Wall" show in (I think) Sound on Sound, which revealed that the entire show, start to finish, is run to a click. That allows synchronisation of music, lights, stage effects/pyros, props etc.

Cheers, Mike.

If you're a full timer whose house payment depends on your next gig/tour/session and your musical resume, of course it's a phenomenal gig.

But I'd start practicing saying, "Yes Mr Waters."

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

...... Pink Floyd music at its heart is hammond, minimoog and Gilmour's guitar.....

Along these lines, my first thought was maybe Waters wants Doley to apply his Whammy Clav magic to some of the iconic Gilmour solos?

If you're a full timer whose house payment depends on your next gig/tour/session and your musical resume, of course it's a phenomenal gig.

If I'm hired by a successful touring act, I have no issue with saying "yes, sir" to the boss.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Because Roger Waters (or literally anyone executing an international tour) will be hiring weekend warriors with attitude :rolleyes:

...... Pink Floyd music at its heart is hammond, minimoog and Gilmour's guitar.....

Along these lines, my first thought was maybe Waters wants Doley to apply his Whammy Clav magic to some of the iconic Gilmour solos?

Mr Waters found Mr Doley on the internet and then an approach was made :thu: