Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: What video games are you playing today?

Mame arcades, amiga, spectrum, commodore 64 and amstrad games...

I love retro!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Where to start. At 62, I saw Pong first come out, then the Atari 2600, Coleco Vision, NES, Sega, up to present. Been gaming as much as playing music if not a little more.

Currently play iOS games (and the synth/music apps too), Both wife and I both have Alienware laptops hooked up to Oculus Quest 2's playing VR. She and I met in Second Life 10 years ago.

Back ages ago it seems, I played WoW, all the FPS games like Battlefield, CoD, and I too have a Steam PC & PCVR Library that rivals my VST folder (which also overfloweth). Fun though.

We also have Playstation 3 and a Xbox 360 hooked up to the big screen. We also have exercise bikes and elliptical that we use VR to immerse ourselves in. We are the epitome of two old geeks!

We can not worry about being bored in retirement. lol

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

For ipad users, a really cool "zen" game is Osmos. It's been around a long time but still looks and sounds great (I think it's now "HD"). You are a "mote" floating in space and trying to absorb smaller motes, while trying to avoid being swallowed. Some of them move on their own and chase or run from you. The catch: moving requires you to lose some of your own mass, it goes one way and you go another! So you have to be really careful about how much and where you move.

it must be said that I play on the very slowest speed mostly, which is way slower than in this trailer.

It"s not really a 'game' but is a simulation . I"ve been Iracing since April 17 and love it! Have won 11 races , 6 road course and 5 oval. It"s a lot of fun. It really helps build concentration skills and I"ve noticed it"s really built up some left side skills of my brain. It"s very well done. I used to do Papyrus IndyCar and NASCAR on ships from 94-2001 and this is mostly the same people. So it"s a return to an old hobby.

Wow. Where to start. At 62, I saw Pong first come out, then the Atari 2600, Coleco Vision, NES, Sega, up to present. Been gaming as much as playing music if not a little more.

Currently play iOS games (and the synth/music apps too), Both wife and I both have Alienware laptops hooked up to Oculus Quest 2's playing VR. She and I met in Second Life 10 years ago.

Back ages ago it seems, I played WoW, all the FPS games like Battlefield, CoD, and I too have a Steam PC & PCVR Library that rivals my VST folder (which also overfloweth). Fun though.

We also have Playstation 3 and a Xbox 360 hooked up to the big screen. We also have exercise bikes and elliptical that we use VR to immerse ourselves in. We are the epitome of two old geeks!

We can not worry about being bored in retirement. lol

Another Second life success story :thu:

I bought an original Nintendo a month ago and some choice games.

We've been under curfew for some time and I felt like hearing cool music blasting from the TV again.

You should look into the Retron game systems. They have slots for NES, SNES, and Sega cartridges (among other things) and they upscale your games to 1080p with various enhancement and visual filters (if you choose to turn them on) as well as sound enhancement to output in stereo and improve bass. I have a retron 5. The original consoles can't compare.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

In addition to my vintage Galaxian cocktail table multicade, I still have a Super NES from the early '90s that is sitting in my basement with a ton of games and it gets some use about 1-2x per year. My adult kids remember playing it and when they visit on holidays, we sometimes hook it up and have some fun with Zelda, Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country, etc.

I'm still playing my multicade all the time and exploring some of the more obscure games on it. Somehow I missed Dig Dug 2 altogether and it's a pretty cool game. There are also so many versions of PacMan and they are all fun.

I really enjoyed Dungeon Defenders. The original on XBox and PC. It was not very playable on iPad. Dungeon Defenders 2 was a disappointment. It never had the same charm or simple enjoyment. Companies tend to make follow up games too complicated. More rules and more options does not mean more fun.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Thanks for the mention... I never heard about that until now

This seems to be the cheapest HD option, the RetroN 2 HD. I stand corrected, it outputs 720p, but honestly it looks gorgeous on my 55 inch 1080p tv.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-RetroN-Gaming-Console-Famicom-nintendo/dp/B07XMP1K97/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=hyperkin&qid=1617992742&sr=8-7

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

• 4 months later...
I've been playing Minecraft off and on for years--I use mods that greatly expand the "tech" in the game, so instead of exploring and fighting monsters I'm more about building automated factories :) I just recently discovered how much easier it is to use "modpacks" instead of installing all the mods yourself. Orders of magnitude easier. The one I've been playing lately is Enigmatica 6, which works with the latest version of minecraft.

I've got the typical Minecraft-obsessed 10-year-old in the house, and as a computer programmer I'd *love* to learn more about modding, as it seems there are a lot of opportunities there for the kid to be creative and maybe learn some coding. I just haven't managed to find the time....

I've really been enjoying "There is No Game" on my android tablet. It's a spoof of various video game genres from the 90s forward. Part adventure, part puzzle. Babysat a neighbor's cat a couple of weeks ago and spent quality time on their Nintendo Switch. Mario Kart 8 is gorgeous. I still use my GearVR system with my ailing Galaxy S7 and am moving through Augmented Empire and Virtual Virtual Reality. On that system there are more misses than hits but when they get it right it's a magnificent experience. Really interested in the Oculus Quest 2.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

None. I got into computers back in the 80's and worked in the computer biz except for a couple breaks since then. I just was never into gaming, occasionally play an arcade type game for a little bit to relax, but that was it. I do appreciate the technology involved and like checking out the games to see the progress in the tech.

i haven't seriously gamed on PC since Air Warrior and Vietcong. Now I do the odd arcade game on iPad. Portal Bridge Constructor is a challanging physics game. I recently found an iPad port of old PC flash game that is bringing back some memories - Desktop Tower Defense, though I don't expect my interest in that one to last any longer than it did when on PC.

Been playing a bunch of retro stuff as of late. Mainly the first three Super Mario Bros. and the first Legend of Zelda.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

The Elder Scrolls Online

Free play this week on Steam. No obligations. It's like Skyrim, but is a MMO. However, you can still play solo RPG or join with a group for the main story quests. There's also a competitive MMO you can join called Battlegrounds that's like World of Warcraft. Lots of fun. Playing it on PC.

Here's the link on Steam. 4 days left for the free play. 60% off to purchase Standard Edition - $7.99

https://store.steampowered.com/app/306130/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online/

[video:youtube]

Some of my more recent obsessions: Several Star Wars games: Squadrons, Fallen Jedi, Tales from the Galaxy's Edge, Asgards's Wrath, Lone Echo, Elite Dangerous, A Plague's Tale (the firsts 5 minutes will suck you right in!), Red Dead Redemptions 2, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (on PC, VR, & Xbox), Farming Simulator, all the Far Cry games, No Man's Sky, Skyrim, and we still play house occasionally in Second Life. Just picked up an Xbox Series X and got Xbox Game Pass with it. So many games ... so little time! lol

On tomorrow's episode, we should bust out our VST collections and which ones we love and hate. Then we could do DAWs and Audio Plug-ins, and of course we'd need to do one on modular system(s) - both hardware and software.

I recall over the years several threads devoted to Photography, there are always NFL, NBA, and most major sports threads each season. The NAMM reports resonate for all of us I'm sure, and GearFest keeps getting better and better. Like going to Namm without going to NAMM. I do realize that a lot of the charm with NAMM was running into artists and forum members, and industry dudes and reps (you all know who you are). It's been a great way to virtually keep in touch. It's about the only positive thing about this pandemic I can think of.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Have to be careful with games because I"ve gone missing a few years at a time before when getting hooked. (8 ball pool on iOS was one of em) Not sure if this counts as a game or torture, but 'the complete ear trainer' has an arcade mode & the last year or so been playing everyday. (Intervals, chord progressions, melodic dictation etc.) â and lately have been playing BBTAN. Kind of an Arkanoid meets Tetris situation. Mildly addicting. Both are iOS & Android.

My latest is Bloons TD6. A simple pleasure with no long term commitment.

I've been playing Bloons for quite a while. And it's something I can get on and play with my kids easily.

We also have played a lot of the "io" games. My favorite by far is diep.io, where you play a "tank" with many, many upgrade paths. The four-team maps are my favorite.

Final Fantasy XIV, same as I have for the last 18-months since the pandemic hit. My wife started playing this MMO to pass the time, and we've really gotten into it. I actually wish I had more time to play, but I log on at least once or twice a week.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I'm still just amazed with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Major updates the last couple months to the game with improvements to graphics, scenery, performance, activities and challenges. Stupid good. Considering getting a VR headset for it.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.