Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
J
Looking for any feedback on the Chick Corea Academy or any of the workshops he has online.

I did the Herbie Hancock Master Class. I wouldn't say it was deep instruction, but there was a lot of good things in there, nice documentation/community, recommended listening, and mostly the videos were very enjoyable. I feel I got my money's worth out of it just listening to Herbie.

The Chick Corea Academy is a bigger investment in money and there is more to it, so I am looking for feedback. There aren't previews or anything to check out before you buy the package, but you can pay monthly before commiting a full year.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 3C, Nord Wave 2, Viscount Legend Live, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2, Arturia V Collection 7, Komplete 12 Ultimate
Keyboard Corner Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I'm interest too because I did do the Chick Corea workshop from a few years ago, in fact some of this Academy seem to use some of the earlier workshop videos. I did the Herbie Hancock and would say basic on the earlier CC workshop Chick goes a little deeper on topics, but not a lot. These guys are masters who learned mainly by doing in they came up when there was a lots of gigs and recording sessions. This was before everyone tried to codify Jazz education. They were part of the old system of learning by listening when if you asked a great musician something they played you an answer they didn't explain things. Part of that approach was because they knew having good ears was everything. Second that Steve Coleman said was everyone came from different backgrounds. learned by ear, traditional training, newer schools of thought, so that by playing an answer everyone around can label what their hearing in a way that fits their background. So their was a reason to masters never directly answered questions they would just play you an answer.

So Herbie and Chick came from there and just being able to hear watch them so a great education versus a stack of pdf's.

1 member likes this: Jazz+
I've heard they require a high level of language. I was thinking about applying for a master's program, too. But I was not sure about my skills. Al least, it motivated me to start learning English and Korean. I wish my parents taught me that when I was a kid. I've read an article that says about the importance of children's education. You can read more about it if you have an interest.

G
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
G
I'm in no way far enough along in my keyboard skills for it to be worthwhile for me to invest in such a course, but I thought I remembered one of the touted benefits as being that you could ask Chick a question and he'd answer.

But...with Chick being dead, that benefit has vanished. Might there be someone else who could/would step in to fulfill that function? I don't know. If so, would it be someone that you, as a prospective student, would accept as being an authority on Chick's level (e.g. Herbie Hancock)? That would have to be a subjective judgement on your part; Herbie might be quite acceptable to some, but not to others.

Or I could be wrong about the q & a part of the whole thing.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by GRollins
I'm in no way far enough along in my keyboard skills for it to be worthwhile for me to invest in such a course, but I thought I remembered one of the touted benefits as being that you could ask Chick a question and he'd answer.

But...with Chick being dead, that benefit has vanished. Might there be someone else who could/would step in to fulfill that function? I don't know. If so, would it be someone that you, as a prospective student, would accept as being an authority on Chick's level (e.g. Herbie Hancock)? That would have to be a subjective judgement on your part; Herbie might be quite acceptable to some, but not to others.

Or I could be wrong about the q & a part of the whole thing.

Grey

I would say there is always something to be gained from listening to a master especially hearing them say it. Good to hear them saying it again later on in your musical path it will have a different mean to you then. I view it no different than listening to an old recording only difference they are speaking in word sounds and not the sound of their instrument.

G
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
G
I think you missed my point. It's not a matter of hearing Chick say something--clearly there's value in that--it's that if my memory is right, you've lost the interactive potential now that he's gone...short of having a seance.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Originally Posted by GRollins
I think you missed my point. It's not a matter of hearing Chick say something--clearly there's value in that--it's that if my memory is right, you've lost the interactive potential now that he's gone...short of having a seance.

Grey

Have you been drinking? A seance with Chick?!?

J a z z P i a n o 8 8
--
Yamaha C7D
Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB-6

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner 

Link Copied to Clipboard