Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Birthday bass and bonus

This is a weird post. I remember the very first post I made here...it was almost 20 years ago, I asked a question about refinishing my Ibanez EDA. Dr Sweet Willie was the first to answer and we"ve been fast friends ever since.

Anyway, fast forward to now, I may be marginally better at playing bass, but the gear whoring has not changed...it may have even ramped up a bit.

But I celebrated my birthday over the weekend, and my kids bought me a Squier Vintage Modified fretless! I had mentioned it only once to my wife, and not only did they get it for me, but they haggled the store owner down to a ridiculous price. It was so silly that I went to the store and offered to pay a bit more, but the proprietor said that he agreed to the deal, so it"s no one"s fault but his own. That indicates to me that he still made a profit at $300, which now makes me wonder how little he gave to the guy who traded it in.

The pickups had been upgraded, but I"ll have to open it up to see what kind they are. The tapewounds have plenty of life left, and the whole thing plays nicely. And I also got a Leslie pedal. :)

1935.thumb.jpg.bcb9ab6a00152a921044092203c77f85.jpg

1936.thumb.jpg.ef9f390fb6451b51feedcff83008a03e.jpg

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When my kids first bought me a bass I told them "I KNEW I had you bunch for a reason!" :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

This is a weird post. I remember the very first post I made here...it was almost 20 years ago, I asked a question about refinishing my Ibanez EDA. Dr Sweet Willie was the first to answer and we"ve been fast friends ever since.

Anyway, fast forward to now, I may be marginally better at playing bass, but the gear whoring has not changed...it may have even ramped up a bit.

But I celebrated my birthday over the weekend, and my kids bought me a Squier Vintage Modified fretless! I had mentioned it only once to my wife, and not only did they get it for me, but they haggled the store owner down to a ridiculous price. It was so silly that I went to the store and offered to pay a bit more, but the proprietor said that he agreed to the deal, so it"s no one"s fault but his own. That indicates to me that he still made a profit at $300, which now makes me wonder how little he gave to the guy who traded it in.

The pickups had been upgraded, but I"ll have to open it up to see what kind they are. The tapewounds have plenty of life left, and the whole thing plays nicely. And I also got a Leslie pedal. :)

Happy Birthday To You!!!!!! Nice presents, they must love you, that's awesome!

A friend has that exact bass. I leveled the fretboard for him, it was ski-sloping a bit. And, that got me to pull the frets on my Franken P-J and fill the slots. Now I have my own fretless, tuned BEAD.

I had a fretless a while back that had just the dots on the side at the fret locations. I didn't bond with that idea and flipped it. I like this much better, I can see all the frets on the edge of the neck or peer over if I am trying to play chord shapes.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Nice! That's certainly a nice fretless to get started with.

My wife has purchased 3 basses for me over the years. First was a Yamaha BB414 P/J which was a great bass. I sold it. I know. The 2nd was a G&L Tribute JB-2. Again, a nice bass and she also got it for a steal. I still have it. I put new pots and wiring and HipShot UltraLite tuners to help with neck dive. I'd like to get different pups in it but haven't pursued that much. They are the same size and not easily drop in replaced. It's not a bad bass. The finish is beautiful and the neck has a little birdseye in it. Plays pretty well. The most recent was a Roscoe Classic Precision passive 4 string. I use this bass a lot. I put TI flats on it. It looks like Pino's bass.

Hmm, I have a birthday coming up ... *checks wife and kids*

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

• 3 weeks later...
Happy birthday, baby! Ooooh! Me loves the tapewounds!

watch?v=KF3kTLeJ7cc

Nice job on playing and singing at the same time, I can do it on guitar pretty well but just a few backup vocals on bass.

I love tape wounds too, I have a set of Rotosound Tru Bass on a fretless and they are awesome. BEAD, I used the low 4 strings of a 5 string set.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 4 weeks later...