Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ash the world turns...

So, I went ahead and ordered something from Warmoth- a one-piece Roasted Swamp Ash Telecaster body, with Strat-like forearm and ribcage comfort contours and a contoured heel, in Vintage Tint Gloss- which will look somewhat akin to vintage Butterscotch over the darkened, Roasted Swamp Ash.

A little later I'll order a Roasted Maple neck from Warmoth to go with it- all Maple, maybe Roasted Flamed Maple or, if possible, Roasted Quarter-Sawn Maple (I want a stable neck requiring as little Seasonal adjustments as possible!). I'm going to go with a "reverse" Tele headstock, too; and then, all the hardware and electronics.

It'll take some time to be done and shipped to me, but it will be well worth the wait!

>KerRRRAAANGG... !!<

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Very cool Caevan! Keep us posted as the project progresses! Sounds like a load of fun. Have you considered Birdseye maple for the neck? I've heard it is a good one for strong materials which might save on future seasonal adjustments? I like the reverse headstock concept. I would also consider a reverse switch plate. Are you going with 3 barrel saddles or Strat style? Anyway, good luck and I know you will put your heart into it! I can't wait for the pics! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Very cool Caevan! Keep us posted as the project progresses! Sounds like a load of fun. Have you considered Birdseye maple for the neck? I've heard it is a good one for strong materials which might save on future seasonal adjustments? I like the reverse headstock concept. I would also consider a reverse switch plate. Are you going with 3 barrel saddles or Strat style? Anyway, good luck and I know you will put your heart into it! I can't wait for the pics! :thu:

Bird's Eye maple is cool; I've had a guitar with a Bird's Eye Maple neck, and a Brazilian Rosewood 10" - 16" Compound Radius fretboard, too...

I just want this particular guitars neck to be either Roasted Quarter-Sawn maple (if it's available), or Roasted Flamed Maple. Roasted Maple at the very least.

I'm debating whether to go with the reverse headstock, or to go with the 'standard' right-handed headstock; it occurs to me that the latter would be better for a lot of 'behind-the-nut' bends...

I am definitely going with a "reverse" control plate- and also, a slanted slot for he pickup selector-switch. So it'll be Volume, Tone, Selector- or, maybe even, Volume, EMG SPC, Selector- that SPC would come in real handy and go well with a Tele bridge-pickup...

I have a few pedals that I know this Tele will get on better with than my Les Paul and its humbuckers, too.

Three barrel saddles- but one of the trick designs that allow improved intonation.

Gonna be a sweet guitar!!!! I love a good Tele, has been a favorite for decades. I've had a few here and there, always one for certain.

Photo is a fairly recent build, I've had the neck since the mid 80's. It's had a beating, the headstock was broken and repaired (both by me!).

Various parts that came my way over time. Has the EMG Tele set with Alnico magnets and an SPC instead of the tone control. I just crank the knobs and call it good.

1938.thumb.jpg.a0d8f2e47e02b6649fe913a8d57bb1de.jpg

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

+1 on the trick design 3 barrels with intonation adjustments and +1 on the slanted cut pickup selector switch plate (both are very cool). I might add locking tuners. They also have the ashtray bridge plate with the lower edge cutout which I like (as I would always wind up picking on it instead of the E string LOL!). I know you love the SPC and you have to work it in somehow...This is going to be the project all of us will be glued to! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Photo is a fairly recent build, I've had the neck since the mid 80's. It's had a beating, the headstock was broken and repaired (both by me!).

Various parts that came my way over time. Has the EMG Tele set with Alnico magnets and an SPC instead of the tone control. I just crank the knobs and call it good.

Niiiiiiiiice. Are those basically the Tele-mounting version of their SA pickups? Those are really nice...

And the EMG SPC rules! I am very likely to put one in this Tele build; it aughtta kick ash, ehr, ass with the bridge-pickup...

I might add locking tuners. They also have the ashtray bridge plate with the lower edge cutout which I like (as I would always wind up picking on it instead of the E string LOL!). I know you love the SPC and you have to work it in somehow...

I am also going to go with a bridge-plate with the edges partially removed; I am very hands-on with muting, damping, palm-muting at the bridge, a 100% fingerstyle "touch" player; and I'm also very, VERY used to my Les Paul, with its carved-top and raised T-o-M bridge- this flat-topped Tele with a relatively low-profile bridge is going to take a little getting used to. But, I think I'll manage! :cool:

Sounds fab Caev-lots of pics please!

This is going to be the project all of us will be glued to! :thu:

Have fun building your new ax Caev. Pictures when done amigo.

Will do! However, for more than one reason, it might be 10 to 12 weeks, maybe more, before I even receive the body. This going to be a very gradual, drawn-out saga, but it should be done and spankin' and crankin' by Summer or Fall.

:rawk:

Niiiiiiiiice. Are those basically the Tele-mounting version of their SA pickups? Those are really nice...

And the EMG SPC rules! I am very likely to put one in this Tele build; it aughtta kick ash, ehr, ass with the bridge-pickup...

:rawk:

The EMG Tele pickup is unique, most definitely NOT an SA (I have both pickups and have used an SA on a Tele in the neck position). It's not a night and day difference and both are very good but I prefer the Tele.

The SPC works great with it, i am a huge SPC fan as well. Both of my main giggers have SPC controls instead of tone controls. I like knobs that actually do something.

Here are a couple of reviews of the T pickup - https://www.emgpickups.com/ft.html

Treat yourself and your Tele to the original EMG Tele set. They have an optional set with ceramic magnets, that's what Vince Gill prefers (and who's going to argue with that man's tone?). I still prefer the Alnico, a bit sweeter and more natural sounding.

As far as locking tuners go, having installed all sorts of things - the Graph Tech Ratio Tuners are BY FAR the nicest tuners I've ever installed on a guitar. I have quite a few sets of the Sperzels and I like them the but the Ratio sets kick butt.

Partial Disclamer - I've never installed those Steinberger tuners that sort of look like robot banjo tuners. Those are supposed to be really nice too.

Sounds like a really fun project, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Thanks! In the end, the BEST part and the MOST FUN will be playing what will be an amazing guitar that really suits my wants and needs!

Warmoth makes fantastic necks- among the very best in the biz, and a surefire upgrade for almost any bolt-on neck electric guitar. A Birds'-Eye Maple Strat neck with a Brazilian Rosewood fretboard in their 10" - 16" Compound Radius spoiled me for all others- the best Fender, Gibson, PRS, Ibanez, etc. etc. necks I've put my hands on over the years always feel 2nd-Best.

I'll probably never, ever buy a Fender or Fender-style guitar- and only ever put together Fender-style, bolt-on axes with necks and bodies from Warmoth. They're that good. And, some Fender and other well-known successful brands even have necks and/or bodies made for them by Warmoth under contract.

I'm chompin' at the bit, so's to speak- I would have ordered the neck already last night, but I waited to long and it was too late to get anyone at Warmoth on the phone and I have a few very specific questions that I need to be answered before I place the order.

In particular, I want to know if I can specially request a Roasted Quartersawn Maple neck; they have options for Roasted Maple (including Roasted Flamed and Bird's-Eye, both beautiful!), and Quartersawn Maple, but nothing to click on to select Roasted Quartersawn Maple- the combination of which would be an EXTREMELY stable neck, very important to me, even more than looks. I also would like this to be a one-piece neck, much like the old original Fender maple necks, without a separate fretboard slab. I'm prrretty sure that they'd do that if I request that in the "Notes" section of the order form, AND agree to the added time on top of the already longer than usual time for it to be made- but, I'd rather know for sure.

I'm also on the fence regarding the string-nut, between Graph Tech White Tusq (synthetic material, super slippery low string-friction for better tuning-stability, "500% slipperier than graphite"!), and the LSR Roller nut (steel, with two ball-bearing rollers for each string to seat upon); a good part of the decision is based on radius matching the 1st-fret.

I'll probably be going with the Tusq, but...

^^^ Per above ^^^

If you want the 22nd fret you'll want the Vintage Modern style neck. I think they still make that as a one piece. If not, you'll have to go with a 21 fret neck.

I'm sure they'll make a roasted quarter sawn neck, that sounds awesome.

Consider your width at the nut, they'll do 1 5/8" up to 1 7/8". I have large hands so I prefer the 1 7/8" and can happily use the 1 3/4" nut width.

There are lots of options for the shape of the back of the neck as well. I love the Fatback but they have quite a variety. Choose well, choose once, get what YOU love.

I agree that Warmoth has a high level of quality that few can aspire to, in bolt on world the G&L stuff competes for quality but not for variety of options.

Get the Tusc nut, hands down. The only other thing worth considering is the Earvana. You don't want your strings floating on two balls, it just doesn't sound as good.

I'm assuming this is a hard tail? No good reason not to go Tusc or Earvana.

Gonna be a SWEET axe!!!!!

I'm not a fan of the LSR roller nut. I have a Strat so equipped. I feel like the 1st fret action is a little high and the metal edges are not real comfortable when sliding off the fret board at the headstock. They do work great for bending and for whammy bar action. Most Tele players are not really into whammy bars. I would go with the Tusq. However, I still prefer bone nuts with low action and a smooth slide off on the edges. .. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Get the Tusq nut, hands down. The only other thing worth considering is the Earvana. You don't want your strings floating on two balls, it just doesn't sound as good.

I'm assuming this is a hard tail? No good reason not to go Tusq or Earvana.

I'm not a fan of the LSR roller nut. I have a Strat so equipped. I feel like the 1st fret action is a little high and the metal edges are not real comfortable when sliding off the fret board at the headstock. They do work great for bending and for whammy bar action. Most Tele players are not really into whammy bars. I would go with the Tusq. However, I still prefer bone nuts with low action and a smooth slide off on the edges. .. :cool:

OK, then, I think that it'll be the Tusq XL!

I was under the vague impression that I might like the tone of the metal/ball-bearing LSR Nut; and, that it might be better yet for tuning-stability, letting the strings slde 'n' glide through.

Yeah, this WILL be a hard-tail, classic Tele arrangement, with a three-barrel-saddle bridge (tricked-out for improved intonation); but, I do get prrretty bendy, and I might go with the regular right-handed Tele headstock for the ease of behind-the-nut bends. (I was originally going to get a "reversed" Tele headstock, and put left-handed water-slide decals on it- upside-down and backwards- to make it look like a lefty-Tele neck put on a righty-guitar.)

I am not so sure I want to go with the Earvana, though. Since I started using Peterson StroboStomp tuners, I've been very pleased with my intonation and tuning; I don't think that I need the Earvana design. Warmoth does offer a combination, Earvana-cut Graph Tech White Tusq nut option, as well.

This might be the first electric guitar I've had in DECADES that I might string with "10's" (I will ONLY put DR Pure Blues .011" - .050" on my Les Paul, my Ibanez Jazzbox gets Thomasti-Infeld Swing Flatwound 13's or 14's). I might still go with 11's... we'll see. Almost certainly the DR Pure Blues, either way.

If you want the 22nd fret you'll want the Vintage Modern style neck. I think they still make that as a one piece. If not, you'll have to go with a 21 fret neck.

I'm sure they'll make a roasted quarter sawn neck, that sounds awesome.

Yeah, that would be about the ultimate in consistent stability and stiffness for a wooden neck.

I'm thinking:

• 22 Frets

• One-Piece Right-Handed Telecaster, Vintage/Modern Construction
    (Walnut "Skunk Stripe" down the back, Walnut-lined Truss-Rod Adjustment Access at the headstock)

• Roasted Quartersawn Maple

• 1-11/16" nut-width, Graphtech White Tusq XL (Almost tempted to go with the "vintage" 1-5/8"; I do often fret two strings at once with one fingertip... )

• "59 Roundback" Profile

• 10" - 16" Compound Radius fretboard

• Stainless Steel 6105 "Narrow & Tall" or Stainless Steel 6150 "Jumbo" frets

• Vintage-sized tuner holes (I'm probably going with one or another Gotoh "Vintage Oval Knob" tuner-set, Staggered and/or Locking)

• Unfinished, or maybe just a finished-fretboard, with Vintage Tint Gloss on just the headstock-face, if possible

I'm nt sure they offer the truss rod adjustment at the headstock end. If they do then goodie!

If not, I don't find myself needed to adjust my truss rods on maple neck guitars very often.

Locking tuners are a real time-saver when string changing time comes. I take one guitar and a set of strings to gigs, on those rare occasions I break a string it doesn't take long to put a new one on.

Bear in mind the Tele is 25.5" scale and with a hard tail so that will stiffen the feel a bit as well. So you may like 11s or you may prefer 10s.

I'm nt sure they offer the truss rod adjustment at the headstock end. If they do then goodie!

If not, I don't find myself needed to adjust my truss rods on maple neck guitars very often.

They do- in fact, that's how they come with their 'Vintage/Modern Construction'. At a glance, the Walnut makes it appear similar to the old vintage plug.

The less need for truss-rod adjustment, the better.

Locking tuners are a real time-saver when string changing time comes. I take one guitar and a set of strings to gigs, on those rare occasions I break a string it doesn't take long to put a new one on.

That'd be cool; and any additional tuning-stability is an even greater enticement for me.

I do have a bit of a soft-spot for having this guitar look particularly "vintage" overall- though I did order the "Standard" Tele body, which has rounder radius around the edges of the body, no "bump" in the cutaway (frankly, those looked ugly and felt less comfortable to the hand). And I'm getting the body with the Strat-styled "Comfort Contours" for the forearm and ribs/stomach, AND the Contoured Heel. ANYWAY, I am likely to go with a set of Gotoh Vintage Oval Button Locking tuners; if there is a combination Locking/Staggered set available, I'd love that.

Bear in mind the Tele is 25.5" scale and with a hard tail so that will stiffen the feel a bit as well. So you may like 11s or you may prefer 10s.

Oh, very much born in mind! I started for the most part with a 23-1/2" short-scaled guitar, then played a 25-1/2" scaled "Super Strat" stylee (with a Warmoth neck- Bird's-Eye Maple, Brazilian Rosewood 10" - 16" Compound Radius fretboard) for eleven years or more (as well as a 25-1/2" scaled Dreadnought styled flat-top acoustic strung with .0114" - .059" strings). Then I went to a pair of Les Pauls for many years...

I'm keeping the Les Paul, but I also want a really b!tchin' Hot Rod Tele, too.

So... I just ordered:

• Serial Number: CN*****
    CUSTOM NECK

• Style: Telecaster®
  • Construction: Vintage/Modern Construction
  • Scale: 25-1/2"
  • Orientation: Right Handed
  • Neck Wood: Quartersawn Maple (One Piece)
  • Fingerboard Wood: Quartersawn Maple
  • Nut Width: 1-11/16"
  • Back Shape: 59 roundback
  • Fret Size: SS6150 (Stainless)
  • Tuner Ream: Vintage Style (11/32")
  • Radius: 10-16" Compound
  • Fret #: 22
  • Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
  • Inlays: Black Face Dots
  • Side Dots: Black Side Dots
  • String Nut: GraphTech White TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
  • Finish: No Finish

Notes:

Just to be certain- One-Piece Neck, please! (If I understand correctly, my Core and Fretboard Wood choices indicate 1-pc construction. But if necessary, upcharge acceptable.)

*Roasted* *Quartersawn* Maple, please! Upcharge acceptable.

*Headstock Face* *ONLY*- Clear Gloss, please! Upcharge acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Today I ordered most of the hardware that I'll need for my Telecaster build, from Stewart-MacDonald; the tuners, string-trees, bridge-saddles, control-plate, and jack socket-cup. Everything I'll need to initially string 'er up before I install the pickups and electronics, and give it a go unplugged!

• The tuners are nickel-plated, staggered-post Kluson 6-In-Line Locking, 'Revolution' models with a wonderful 19:01 ratio; they have press-in bushings and a very 'vintage correct' appearance, for the most part. Not inexpensive, but I think I'll be very pleased with them...

• The string-trees- which I might not even need what with the staggered, locking tuners- are Black TUSQ XL, very slippery, and have a lot of variance to their final height when installed.

• The bridge-saddles, Gotohs, are three machined titanium barrel types, tricked-out for enhanced intonation; when the otherwise identical machined brass models are in stock again- estimated to be in two to three weeks- I'll get a set of them, as well, to mix-and-match, brass for the plain-trebles and 4th/"D", titanium for the "E" and "A", to optimize their respective tonal qualities. I may or may not even try to find a way to divide and combine that middle barrel-saddle to have brass beneath the 3rd/"G", and titanium beneath the 4th/"D"; though brass for the both of 'em will probably do very well.*

• The chrome control-plate has an angled slot for the selector-switch, being more ergonomic and allowing just a smidge more room between the switch-tip and the nearest control-knob when the neck-pickup is selected. I'll be reversing the plate, and the Volume knob will be first-up, ready for "pinkie swells"; then the Tone (or maybe EMG SPC?) knob; and then the angled selector-switch. And, surprisingly, it was cheap!

• The nickel-plated "Electrosocket Jack Cup" will be a Stewart-MacDonald exclusive, having screws that will keep it from loosening, an issue for many a vintage Tele. Also very reasonably priced!

*I await word back from Rutters Guitars on the bridge-plate that I want from them- a slightly custom modified version of their stamped-steel "Vintage Trimmed Sides Bridge" model, which is slightly thicker and thus stronger, stiffer, and flatter than the vintage originals- reducing squealing feedback some Tele bridge-plates are prone to, while retaining the same tonal and magnetic qualities.

Heavier machined plates are good for reducing said feedback squeals and increasing sustain and robust lows, but at the cost of the wood of the body playing a lesser role in the overall tone recipe. I went to some expense and effort for very good, 'top-shelf', increasingly rare wood, and a one-piece body, at that- and I want to HEAR and FEEL its ring and character! If I want more sustain or lows, I can get all I want by other means after the signal leaves the guitars output-jack...

I've requested that the sides be trimmed down even more, on both sides; I doubt that has any meaningful impact on the alleged magnetic-field mojo, but those ridges would have an impact on my picking-hand; the lower, the better!

And, I also won't need the bridge-saddles that normally come with them- they're fine, but I'm set on those trick Gotohs.

I use the Kluson Revolutions on my 3+3s. I think you should like them a lot.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Thanks for the update Caevan! I know you're going to like the locking tuners, reverse plate with the volume up front and the slanted selector switch and the carved down edge(s) on the bridge plate. The slanted selector switch will not rest on the volume or tone knobs no matter which way the plate is mounted. The selector switch leaning on the knobs always bugged me...also being able to string her up and hear how it sounds unplugged before the electronics are added is a great idea...keep us posted! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Yaye! My Stewart-MacDonald order came today, and two days early, even! Now I have the first of actual, solid, tangible parts for this guitar project in my hands...

All the parts received are really cool; but especially the tuners and the bridge-saddles.

I've also decided to stick with two pickups here, and not go with a middle-pickup hidden beneath the pickguard, like I was thinkin'. I'll go with a Free-Way 3-Way/6-Position Pickup Switch, I should have ordered it with these parts from Stewart-MacDonald...

The Free-Way 3/6 switch will give the standard three pickup-selections (from two pickups), plus, when pushed sideways: both in parallel/out-of-phase; both in series/out-of-phase; and both in series/in-phase. And it looks completely normal from the outside! SUPER cool trick switch... ! It'll be really cool, with the black-nickel knurled machined switch-tip and nickel knurled knobs coming from Rutters Guitars, against the chrome control-plate...

:cool::rawk:

• Tuners: nickel-plated, staggered-post Kluson 6-In-Line Locking, 'Revolution' models, 19:01 ratio, w/ press-in bushings, overall very 'vintage correct' looking

• String-trees: Black TUSQ XL, very slippery, variable height (I might not even need them with the staggered, locking tuners; but, probably- the tuners staggered-heights aren't too extreme)

• Bridge-saddles: Gotohs, three machined titanium barrel types, tricked-out for enhanced intonation; waiting on the brass saddles of the same design

• Chrome control-plate w/ an angled slot for the selector-switch, will be "reverse" mounted: Volume, Tone/SPC, Selector-Switch

• Nickel-plated "Electrosocket Jack Cup", a Stewart-MacDonald exclusive, w/ screws that will keep it from loosening

You can probably get away with one string tree for the B and E string and placing it well back so there is plenty of string for behind the nut bends.

At that point the tree serves a similar purpose to a short tuner shaft, just shortens the string length slightly.

If the height of the tuner shafts on the D and G strings is low enough that should be fine. Older Teles and Strats only had one string tree, it's always worked fine for me.

My Tele is an exception in that it once had a Floyd Rose installed with the 6 string tree up close to the nut. Seems to work fine so I just left it when I used the neck to build another parts-o-caster.

I'm a big fan of ash, sonically and aesthetically.

Recently picked up a project Tele body that's ash with a black korina top, and the ash has me interested in the pickups and hardware chosen here.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

The SPC is out- as much as I dig what that li'l unit can do, there's no simple way to achieve a 'hard-bypass' option- EMG has informed me politely that they can't/won't do that, as any such switching makes an unavoidable loud POP; I don't want that, or any overcomplicated extra switches of ANY kind here. And as-is, even when rolled all the way off, there's enough of a buffering intact that it will likely NOT get on well with some vintage-style pedalry such as fuzzes and octave-fuzzes and treble-boosters, S0O0O0O0O... NO0O0O0O0.

Any suggestions of interesting one-knob ONLY affairs that are completely compatible with such antique-ish stomps would be welcome!

I vaguely recall a passive tone-pot that had a number of step-detents that rolled-off increasing amounts of treble, while leaving midrange intact... ?

Maybe just a good quality tone-pot and cap would be plenty... But, I do like trick circuits and hardware, and this axe is a Hot Rod project, for sure!

Explain in little words what you"re trying to do.

:thu: I'm curious about any interesting, useful alternatives to the usual tone-control, something that will only use ONE control-knob (although a push/pull would be fine), AND that will work alright with vintage-style fuzzes and treble-boosters.

Particularly anything that boosts/contours mids.

Or that can roll-off treble similar to a standard tone-control, but without reducing upper-mids and mids.

Nothing that removes mids or lows. I've already got a great treble-booster pedal for that.

EDIT: lightbulb.gif The Stellartone ToneStyler 'Guitar Ten' multi-step tone-control seems interesting, apparently rolling-off treble by varying degrees without reducing upper-mids and mids...

I like LOVE the EMG SPC, but some vintage-style fuzzes and treble-boosters won't work right with it- and I can't have a 'hard-bypass' version of the SPC.

Sorry to hear the SPC is going bye bye! I like having a series vs parallel on my Taylor T5. On my Taylor T3B there is a push/pull tone pot. It works very cool but I'm not sure how they did it LoL! (i.e., with caps or with two different tone circuits?).

Here is an idea and I'm not sure if it would be of interest or if you can find out if it would work...but how about a blend pot instead of a tone pot? Use the volume pot as a master, the 3 way selector and instead of a tone pot, use a blend pot? I get a lot of tonal differences on LP wiring with two tone pots and two volume pots, working the middle position which blends the bridge and neck pups. A blend pot could call up more of the bridge or more of the neck pup in combination and get more treble or bass. Anyway, it's a thought...

https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/components-and-parts/potentiometers/alpha-blend-pots.html :idk:

:cool:

Take care, Larryz