Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The affordable SMALL studio thread

I was having trouble with a project and dad said "Cut it off twice and it's still too short?"

Your dad said that? I heard that from a machinist in the Naval Oceanographic Office prototype shop when I worked there in the late '60s. It's still one of my favorite expressions. A lot of people picked it up from me, but your dad probably wasn't one of them. Small world, again.

Dad was a man of few \words but he had great timing. Got me good with that one, only said it once but his aim was true.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to post more, and I will when I get my studio renovation underway finally (this summer?). Work has been insane here (yay!) so MPN slipped by the wayside for a bit....

Don't lose hope, Kuru, we're reading and loving what you do and I'm sure other folks will chime in.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

• 3 weeks later...

https://metapop.com/opossum-apocalypse/tracks/opossum-apocalypse-long-mix/180793

I will be the first to admit that the mix needs lots of help. Not sure if I want to do the work now (I could improve this) or move on to other things. None of us will ever get all our music done, that's just how life is...

I somehow found something I'd forgotten about and thought I would post a link to something I recorded about 7 years ago. My rig was fairly humble at that point, no microphones were used on this recording. Interface was a used MOTU Audio Express. The output was so high; I blew my face off the first time I tried to use it. I turned it way down and it was fine. Gone now, somehow I've never bonded with MOTU, they make great shit though.

Drums were all Korg Wavedrum (OK, that's pretty expensive but I only bought one of them and it's the best thing ever). I either made the loops or I played the improve but that's the drums, all direct, ITB.

Guitars are either straight through a Tech 21 Tri-AC pedal - used and reasonable - or a Fishman Triple Play pickup (not as spendy as the Wavedrum and every guitar player that doesn't play keyboards well should consider one).

Plus I didn't have to buy keyboards. Back to bargains, you can get amazing keyboard plugins free or stupid cheap if you log in and sign up for a few vendors and search a bit. All the plugins in this track were free. Go find them!!!!

Do it, you'll think of ways to use some of this stuff.

When the opossums, cockroaches, catfish and mosquitos all pass on, it is over - life is gone. It is the Opossum Apocalypse.

So create while you can!!!!!

I found an ART Tube MP/C on eBay for $76 delivered. It should be here soon. I am a fan of the ART Levelar optical compressor tones but the form factor could use some improvement.

They've put the controls on the front and added a mic pre so only one cord is needed to add it to the Steinberg interface. The size is right for mobility and having all the controls for everything on the front is handy too.

Sound on Sound deemed it credible: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/art-tube-mpc

I will mostly use it to rein in the dynamics a skoosh. The Levelar delivers classic compressed electric guitar tone that can be fun sometimes, add a chorus/delay and you are Walking On The Moon with Brass In Pocket.

When it arrives I'll give it a spin and report back. I expect to find it useful and may secure it on top of the Steinberg with a couple of tie wraps. That, a couple of cords, a mic, headphones and a laptop is more or less a portable tracking studio for collaboration with other creatives just about anywhere.

I found an ART Tube MP/C on eBay for $76 delivered. It should be here soon. I am a fan of the ART Levelar optical compressor tones but the form factor could use some improvement.

They've put the controls on the front and added a mic pre so only one cord is needed to add it to the Steinberg interface. The size is right for mobility and having all the controls for everything on the front is handy too.

Sound on Sound deemed it credible: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/art-tube-mpc

I will mostly use it to rein in the dynamics a skoosh. The Levelar delivers classic compressed electric guitar tone that can be fun sometimes, add a chorus/delay and you are Walking On The Moon with Brass In Pocket.

When it arrives I'll give it a spin and report back. I expect to find it useful and may secure it on top of the Steinberg with a couple of tie wraps. That, a couple of cords, a mic, headphones and a laptop is more or less a portable tracking studio for collaboration with other creatives just about anywhere.

I have an original rackmount PRO VLA (the fancy version of the Levelar) available if anyone wants to buy it. Great tube optical limiter but I have no room or use for it any more. Sold as is; worked great the last time I fired it up, but that was a long while ago. PM me if interested.

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

• 2 weeks later...

Life has had other plans for me lately, I did just get my larger, less affordable studio set up again in a different (and better ) room.

Next up is to fire up the ART MP/C and see what sorts of sounds it makes.

Meanwhile, I have something else to share. A friend wanted a portable recorder, something small, light and decent quality. I told him how much I liked my Tascam DR-40, it's been a great piece of gear.

So, he got one but they now make the DR-40x so his is the latest and greatest.

They took all the good things about the DR-40 and added some great features. It is now a USB audio interface, capable of up to 24 bit at 96khz. You can use both the onboard small diaphragm condenser mics (which do sound really good) AND either 2 more mics of your choice or go Line In, including hooking up a mixer to the combo jacks. It will record 2 stereo tracks simultaneously, either to your DAW on your computer or to an SD card onboard (will now take a 128 gig card) or both places at once (instant backup). Still has the tripod mount for a camera tripod, that works very well on mine.

There's more, it does appear to be the mobile recording studio solution dreams are made of, and currently Adorama has them for $150 with free shipping on eBay.

I can recommend it as something to consider if you are wanting to put a small, affordable recording studio together, that, a laptop and a set of good headphones would be enough to get started. You could grow from there. I didn't see that it has stereo Line Outs so you would need other gear to run studio monitors (essential!!!!) but you'd be in the game right off the bat.

As always, I have no affiliation, even my friends won't admit to knowing me.

A friend wanted a portable recorder, something small, light and decent quality. I told him how much I liked my Tascam DR-40, it's been a great piece of gear. So, he got one but they now make the DR-40x so his is the latest and greatest.

I wrote a review of the original DR-40 for my web site. Your testimony here should be enough to get him to order one, but for a more in-depth review, it's here (PDF) for the reading.

A friend wanted a portable recorder, something small, light and decent quality. I told him how much I liked my Tascam DR-40, it's been a great piece of gear. So, he got one but they now make the DR-40x so his is the latest and greatest.

They took all the good things about the DR-40 and added some great features. It is now a USB audio interface, capable of up to 24 bit at 96khz. You can use both the onboard small diaphragm condenser mics (which do sound really good) AND either 2 more mics of your choice or go Line In, including hooking up a mixer to the combo jacks. It will record 2 stereo tracks simultaneously, either to your DAW on your computer or to an SD card onboard (will now take a 128 gig card) or both places at once (instant backup). Still has the tripod mount for a camera tripod, that works very well on mine.

I can recommend it as something to consider if you are wanting to put a small, affordable recording studio together, that, a laptop and a set of good headphones would be enough to get started. You could grow from there. I didn't see that it has stereo Line Outs so you would need other gear to run studio monitors (essential!!!!) but you'd be in the game right off the bat.

Always a bummer that the outputs are just a TRS minijack, but then this is really a portable recorder first and a USB interface second. But can it really record 4 discrete audio channels to USB, or only a mixdown to stereo?

I wrote a review of the original DR-40 for my web site. Your testimony here should be enough to get him to order one, but for a more in-depth review, it's here (PDF) for the reading.

Thanks Mike, he bought the DR-40x and has it in possession now. He's gonna bring it by for a bit of tutoring. It does stuff I've never been able to do with mine but the DR-40 is a great tool.

We play one club north of here that has a decent PA system, our bandleader is a really good sandman and just recording the show delivers more than acceptable results for a live mix.

Always a bummer that the outputs are just a TRS minijack, but then this is really a portable recorder first and a USB interface second. But can it really record 4 discrete audio channels to USB, or only a mixdown to stereo?

Dr Mike, from what I gathered reading a review (not the manual), it can interface 2 stereo tracks simultaneously. One of those stereo tracks is the 2 built in microphones so those will obviously be a pre-mixed stereo track.

Since you can plug various things into the other track, like a line in and or a mic in, you should be able to record discreet tracks both simultaneously and as individual tracks. You may have to toss out some tracks, like the right track when you only recorded on the left and maybe the stereo mic track if it just does it and you don't want it. Edited to add, I guess you could just not arm those tracks in the DAW if you are tracking solo.

So I agree, a portable recorder first and a USB interface second - possibly using workarounds. You can also record a stereo track by itself and then overdub a stereo track to the second stereo track. That could be handy for a collaborating duo.

It does fall somewhere in-between but in my experience with my own DR-40, it should do it very well indeed.

Dr Mike, from what I gathered reading a review (not the manual), it can interface 2 stereo tracks simultaneously. One of those stereo tracks is the 2 built in microphones so those will obviously be a pre-mixed stereo track.

Since you can plug various things into the other track, like a line in and or a mic in, you should be able to record discreet tracks both simultaneously and as individual tracks. You may have to toss out some tracks, like the right track when you only recorded on the left and maybe the stereo mic track if it just does it and you don't want it. Edited to add, I guess you could just not arm those tracks in the DAW if you are tracking solo.

So I agree, a portable recorder first and a USB interface second - possibly using workarounds. You can also record a stereo track by itself and then overdub a stereo track to the second stereo track. That could be handy for a collaborating duo.

It does fall somewhere in-between but in my experience with my own DR-40, it should do it very well indeed.

Nice to know. I really ought to download a manual and read it carefully; there's just something about those application descriptions that makes me think it is doing its best to hide the fact that it's only got 2 channels of ADC in it, but then I'm a paranoid old phart.

And finally, today's obligatory joke based on an innocent typo!

our bandleader is a really good sandman

When he enters, does the band immediately start playing Metallica?

Sorry. I'll get the check.

I had to make my first mistake sometime, right?

He is a very good soundman. I just typed soundman and Otto Spull retyped it for me instantly as "sandman".

Artificial unintelligence will steal our souls!!!!

He is a very good soundman. I just typed soundman and Otto Spull retyped it for me instantly as "sandman".

You mean it hasn't already? The only phrase I can guarantee Siri will always get right is, "Sorry about that typo, Siri is a stupid [...]" where you can fill in virtually any insult. I think she hears it a LOT.

You mean it hasn't already? The only phrase I can guarantee Siri will always get right is, "Sorry about that typo, Siri is a stupid [...]" where you can fill in virtually any insult. I think she hears it a LOT.

HA! I recently spent a frustrating but required overly long time attempting to speak to an actual human while trying to schedule an inspection of a defective emergency phone on an elevator.

I was calling CenturyLink, who seem to have that market locked up in our area. They also seem to be the most customer-phobic and completely "anti-customer service" corporate entity I've yet encountered (this is a serious charge!!!!).

After clearly saying "representative" to the bot-b!tch three times and getting "I'm sorry, I did not understand what you said, can you please repeat it again?" each time, I told "her" to "go f#ck herself" and hung up in frustration.

I bet "she hears it" all day long and rightly so, but does not care at all.

I engaged in another strategy and finally got a genuine human to speak to me, unfortunately they were sufficiently pre-programmed in anti-customer anti-service that I was forced to inquire about speaking to their immediate superior.

I had to say "defective emergency elevator phone" several times to get anywhere with them, it was tempting to say the same thing to them that I'd said to the bot, but counter productive so I refrained.

The lines to the phone were inspected and found to be OK, they now blame the elevator company.

I am actively seeking an alternative solution to using CenturyLink and I will find one. Then all of our Associations with elevators will hopefully be free of dealing with CenturlyLink for all eternity.

My sympathies. CenturyLink, to quote our friends from the Great White North, blows dead bears, eh?

We had them for our phone service and Internet for the first several years we were in Colorado, having no alternative. Blazing fast 2.5 Mbps ISDN, woohoo! They told us we couldn't get anything faster because there was no infrastructure.

That was true for a while, but when Comcast finally moved in, we switched to a somewhat more blazing 60 Mbps and cut off our ISDN. CenturyLink immediately started mailbombing us with offers to win us back, offering "blazing speeds" that were never up to what we could get elsewhere, usually for more money.

When our city became the first one in America with universal residential availability of Gigabit fiber, and we got grandfathered in for $50/month forever, those ads became even more comical. They did slow down a bit after we cut our landline ($60 to intercept spam and pretty much nothing else? Color me gone), but their mailouts now are even more whiny. For them cold borscht my heart bleeds.

My sympathies. CenturyLink, to quote our friends from the Great White North, blows dead bears, eh?

We had them for our phone service and Internet for the first several years we were in Colorado, having no alternative. Blazing fast 2.5 Mbps ISDN, woohoo! They told us we couldn't get anything faster because there was no infrastructure.

That was true for a while, but when Comcast finally moved in, we switched to a somewhat more blazing 60 Mbps and cut off our ISDN. CenturyLink immediately started mailbombing us with offers to win us back, offering "blazing speeds" that were never up to what we could get elsewhere, usually for more money.

When our city became the first one in America with universal residential availability of Gigabit fiber, and we got grandfathered in for $50/month forever, those ads became even more comical. They did slow down a bit after we cut our landline ($60 to intercept spam and pretty much nothing else? Color me gone), but their mailouts now are even more whiny. For them cold borscht my heart bleeds.

All truth and all nasty. I had their "advertised - up to 12 mbps" which isn't really fast at all. I ran an online internet speed test and it was about 1.5 mbps both directions. Fail.

I went with Comcast too. Their 25 mbps is in the ballpark unless everybody in the building logs on. They have a store and you can speak directly to actual humans.

Your Gigabit fiber sounds nice, really nice.

Back to studio jibber-jabber. Yesterday another resident of our condo texted me that somebody had left a pair of speakers by the dumpster. I went down, expecting nothing or worse and found a pair of KRK Rokit 6 speakers in decent cosmetic condition.

I haven't fired them up yet. Oddly, the woofers and tweeters are not yellow. They are also not dinged, torn or punched it anywhere. Maybe they are an early model?

Price was good, I'll report back on those - hopefully soon. I've been preparing for having my right foot reconstructed, will not be able to put any weight on it for 6 to 8 weeks. One of the world's most renowned surgeons for reconstructing feet lives here and Bellingham so I'm scared shitless and confident of the results at the same time.

Part of that preparation includes setting up a small studio next to my current work-from-home station. I know I'm not going to want to move around much at all.

I also know I'll be bored out of my mind and being able to record is essential. Speaking of essential, I figure 1 microphone, 1 guitar (with MIDI pickup), one bass and my Wavedrum are going to be the sum total of available instruments.

I may concede one acoustic guitar too but that really is all.

No phone, no pool, no pets. I ain't got no cigarettes...

I just tested the Rokits, one tweeter made no sound. Research shows that sometimes it can be the switch for attenuating or enhancing the treble output or a circuit board and not simply a blown tweeter.

I don't have time right now to fuss about with it. I will try the recommended vigorous turning of the switch in hopes of cleaning the contacts, that's free and easy.

Replacement tweeters are not expensive but they made a slew of variations and choosing the correct one could be tricky. That problem is alleviated by most of the tweeters listed being out of stock.

Since I paid nothing for them, I might just sell them for $20-30 bucks on craigslist, described as they are now. Gas or groceries, never a bad thing. I didn't own them 4 days ago, life won't change much.

I'll be using my Mackies for my "recovery" studio then, that settles that.

For now, I've decided to put a small, affordable studio out in my living room, next to my remote work station.

That way I can keep this thread alive.

I'm going to make an "album" of my cover tunes. And I plan on testing something I've been curious about - using my Tascam DR-40 (original model) to track while listening to previous tracks on headphones and playing along.

If that can be done, it adds a very compact and simple pair of stereo microphones to the situation.

I added an instrument and may subtract one. My X-Key 25 fits in the drawer of a beautiful solid wood desk I found thrift shopping. I can use that to trigger MIDI drum samples, gives me a way to "play drums". I'm pretty good at creating my own loops, a change to improve. I may lay down some pads too, guitar strings do not have infinite sustain but keys can do that.

If that works out then the Korg Wavedrum goes into the nicer, less affordable studio space. Eventually as my foot surgery heals and I become more adept at mobility I'll be able to use that space while I recover. So I want it to be intact and complete, with just moving the laptop from one room to another as the only needed task.

Keep us posted, Kuru... and good luck on the surgery!

Keep us posted, Kuru... and good luck on the surgery!

Thanks Dr. Mike, somehow Bellingham has a foot surgeon who not only has done hundreds of foot reconstructions like mine, he is known worldwide for teaching other surgeons how to do it correctly.

While the thought of it is terrifying, I know I am in good hands. It's up to me to keep all weight off of that foot and I should be in much better shape once it heals.

I've decided to use the single Mackie MR5 for my studio monitor and work on getting clear, simple results in mono. I'll record in mono and not move the pan control. Waveform has a function to turn a stereo track into a mono one so the Tascam can still be used. I can always switch that off later if I want to use stereo tracks (and I will).

I'm sort of on a search for the essence of recording in my current circumstances using simple gear that anybody should be able to afford.

I have 2 clients who want to use the fancier studio and I hope to be able to accommodate them after 2 or 3 weeks. With one of them we can get a lot of work done on the smaller rig sooner than that, her songs need to be defined before we get all fancy.

Pre-production I guess. She's all in, we are bartering for her checking in on my, picking up groceries, taking out the garbage and other essential tasks that are going to need done. Works for me, I love her singing and songs so working on her project will be a joy.

• 1 month later...

I've been looking at some Zoom recorder bundles that have been discounted for Father's Day weekend - particularly the ones featuring the H6 Handy Recorder.

Record Bundles on Sale

I plan to use the H6 for recording our band rehearsals, my acoustic viola at home, and a little outdoors/field recording. I'm not a singer, nor do I plan to record any spoken-word stuff like podcasts.

This bundle looks like the best match for my needs. I'm open to other thoughts though

H6 with Shotgun Mic, Pistol grip Tripod, 64GB card Bundle

I don't think that you'll get much use out of the shotgun with the kind of things you're talking about recording. You might do better with a basic H4 or H6 with the stereo mic setup and get a solid tripod (or a good mic stand that you can use as one). Then, either right out of the gate or when you have a few spare bucks, get a couple of today's low priced condenser mics that sound like they cost a lot more so you can have more flexibility with your mic placement. I've heard really good things about the PreSonus PM2 small diaphragm mics that sell for $130 for a pair with a stereo bar mount.

I'd also suggest that rather than putting all your eggs in one 64 GB basket, get a few 16 GB memory cards. They're easier to back up and you can still put a lot of music on one. If you'll be working outdoors, a fur wind screen would be a good investment, too.

I've been looking at some Zoom recorder bundles that have been discounted for Father's Day weekend - particularly the ones featuring the H6 Handy Recorder.

Record Bundles on Sale

I plan to use the H6 for recording our band rehearsals, my acoustic viola at home, and a little outdoors/field recording. I'm not a singer, nor do I plan to record any spoken-word stuff like podcasts.

This bundle looks like the best match for my needs. I'm open to other thoughts though

H6 with Shotgun Mic, Pistol grip Tripod, 64GB card Bundle

I would get a Tascam DR-40x, it can also be used as a USB interface, can record 4 tracks internally (2 stereo tracks) and the mics can be easily changed from AB to XY, which has turned out to be handy many times.I have the previous version, it does a great job. I see LOTS of decent tripods at thrift stores cheap. Bought a couple of really nice Bogens for under $10.

Agree with Mike Rivers about the shotgun mic (had one, not that useful for music) and getting some 16 gig SD cards. Even at 24 bit 96khz, you can get a long recording time on 16 gigs.

I don't think that you'll get much use out of the shotgun with the kind of things you're talking about recording. You might do better with a basic H4 or H6 with the stereo mic setup and get a solid tripod (or a good mic stand that you can use as one).

Thanks for responding.

So out of all those bundles on sale, I should just try to find one that bundles an H6 with a tripod?

Or, you don't think any of the bundle deals are good deals?

I would get a Tascam DR-40x, it can also be used as a USB interface, can record 4 tracks internally (2 stereo tracks) and the mics can be easily changed from AB to XY,

But the Zoom H6 can record 6 tracks internally, and also send 6 channels of audio over USB as a USB interface.

I would get a Tascam DR-40x, it can also be used as a USB interface, can record 4 tracks internally (2 stereo tracks) and the mics can be easily changed from AB to XY,

But the Zoom H6 can record 6 tracks internally, and also send 6 channels of audio over USB as a USB interface.

And that's super cool! I'm not familiar with Zoom, they used to have a reputation for less than durable designs. It looks like they've gone well beyond that quite some time ago but I haven't had a need for much of anything for a while.

If you need the 6 tracks then your decision is made. If 4 will get you there, the Tascam is considerably less expensive. I've used A-B mic setting on mine many times. great for a singer/songwriter, I even got paid $80 to catch an hour of a local artist once. I guess Zoom makes an A-B module if you need one.

So out of all those bundles on sale, I should just try to find one that bundles an H6 with a tripod?

Or, you don't think any of the bundle deals are good deals?

Bundles can be a good deal, but only if you need everything, or nearly everything, in the bundle. I took a look through the bundles with an H6 and didn't see anything that looked like a good match for what I think you want to do.

I plan to use the H6 for recording our band rehearsals, my acoustic viola at home, and a little outdoors/field recording. I'm not a singer, nor do I plan to record any spoken-word stuff like podcasts. . . . .

. . . But the Zoom H6 can record 6 tracks internally, and also send 6 channels of audio over USB as a USB interface.

It sounds like you're attracted to the H6 because it can record 6 tracks at a time. Is that what you really need?

There are a few ways that you can record your band rehearsals - what kind of band? Your typical drums, bass, guitars, vocals? Or a steel band, a bluegrass band, a brass concert band, or a taiko ensemble? We have some of each here in the DC area. Most likely, you'll just want to set the recorder up on a stand and record the band straight to stereo. If you want to record each member on a track, you'll need more microphones. The Zoom H6 is kind of a "bridge" recorder between their wide range of 2- and 4-track recorders and their F8 field recorder that's what you'd use when you needed multiple mics and portability and that works like a real recorder (don't ask yet).

Without knowing more about what would be best for you at this time and in the near future, I'd have to side with the simple approach - a 2-4 track like the Zoom H4N or the TASCAM that Kuru recommended. You can accessorize as you find the need. For example, the 4-tracks are capable of recording stereo (2 tracks) with the built-in mics, stereo with external mics, and a combination of both. For example, you might start out recording your band with the internal mics, and if you can't find a good place for it where you get a good balance of vocals and instruments, add an external mic on an external input and record that on its own track, then mix it in with the stereo track. You can do that right on the recorder, though it's usually a bit clumsy. But since you mentioned using the recorder as a computer interface, you can import the tracks into your computer and mix them there.

So give it some more thought and maybe the H6 isn't really what you need. Or maybe it is.

By the way, I'm also in the DC area. If you want to come over and buy me lunch, and if you don't already know these handy recorders pretty well, I'll show you a couple and you can get a better idea of the features and (this is important) external microphone connections.

There are a few ways that you can record your band rehearsals - what kind of band? Your typical drums, bass, guitars, vocals? Or a steel band, a bluegrass band, a brass concert band, or a taiko ensemble? We have some of each here in the DC area. Most likely, you'll just want to set the recorder up on a stand and record the band straight to stereo. If you want to record each member on a track, you'll need more microphones. The Zoom H6 is kind of a "bridge" recorder between their wide range of 2- and 4-track recorders and their F8 field recorder that's what you'd use when you needed multiple mics and portability and that works like a real recorder (don't ask yet).

Without knowing more about what would be best for you at this time and in the near future, I'd have to side with the simple approach - a 2-4 track like the Zoom H4N or the TASCAM that Kuru recommended. You can accessorize as you find the need. For example, the 4-tracks are capable of recording stereo (2 tracks) with the built-in mics, stereo with external mics, and a combination of both. For example, you might start out recording your band with the internal mics, and if you can't find a good place for it where you get a good balance of vocals and instruments, add an external mic on an external input and record that on its own track, then mix it in with the stereo track. You can do that right on the recorder, though it's usually a bit clumsy. But since you mentioned using the recorder as a computer interface, you can import the tracks into your computer and mix them there.

So give it some more thought and maybe the H6 isn't really what you need. Or maybe it is.

By the way, I'm also in the DC area. If you want to come over and buy me lunch, and if you don't already know these handy recorders pretty well, I'll show you a couple and you can get a better idea of the features and (this is important) external microphone connections.

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed post.

The band is currently a 3 piece rock band, but may expand to 4 as there's been talk of recruiting a bass player. Drummer with full kit, singer/guitarist whose preferred amp is a Roland JC-120 with distortion pedals and other pedals in front, and myself on electric violin through Boss Katana 100 with effects. I have been using my Zoom R8's internal mics to record band rehearsals. I learned why the R8 is not a first choice for this application - stereo separation in the recording is practically nonexistent, which defeated the idea of capturing drums on one side and the guitar amp on the other, as they are physically on opposite sides of the rehearsal space.

For my home recording, I can record my Moog Matriarch and Roland MC-101 in stereo (4 tracks total) plus the Behringer Pro-1 (1 track) or the Empress Zoia (2 tracks) when I want to capture electronic music ideas. I've gotten by with a 2-input audio interface plus analog mixer in front, but now I'd like to record these devices to separate tracks simultaneously, for later remixing, editing, etc.