Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GearSlutz petitioned to change name

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO Gearspace sounds more professional.

If only the moderators were more professional. Too much noise in the forums, I left years ago.

Gear-Space-Cadets?

I've never gone there, I'm afraid it would shrink the membranes in my wallet.

Notes â«

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

The one thing i don"t like is the forum. As some threads can go on for F"ing ever, and never stay on topic. It"s as if people don"t have a F"ing life. Not only that, it alerts me to topics I participate in, but don"t.

The endless, bitter bickering has me going there occasionally if it comes up when I do a gear search for something I might buy. I've never signed up, never posted. No need.

Besides, they are amateurs. I could shred them if it was worth the bother. It's not. I like it there where there can be civil discourse even on divisive topics. Much better!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

The one thing i don"t like is the forum. As some threads can go on for F"ing ever, and never stay on topic. It"s as if people don"t have a F"ing life. Not only that, it alerts me to topics I participate in, but don"t.

The endless, bitter bickering has me going there occasionally if it comes up when I do a gear search for something I might buy. I've never signed up, never posted. No need.

Besides, they are amateurs. I could shred them if it was worth the bother. It's not. I like it there where there can be civil discourse even on divisive topics. Much better!!!!

I regret signing up!

The phenomenon observed at GearSpace is not unique to that site. As soon as any forum reaches a certain number of visitors, eventually the bitter/bickering crowd will show up. It's like a bar that's open to the public. If enough people come to the bar, at some point there will be jerks. It's maybe one reason why Dave Bryce isn't in any hurry to try to bring more people into Musicplayer.com.

The GREAT thing about forums is that they can be a place to learn and discuss ideas. One of the aspects I always liked about SSS is that there are people here who know a lot, but they have no problem helping out people who are just getting started. We were all just getting started at one point (sometimes I feel I still am).

The Cakewalk forums have traditionally been very civilized compared to some other forums. I think there are two elements that contribute to civilized forums, other than the people themselves.

1. Limited traffic. There's a forum equivalent of Gresham's law, but instead of bad money drives out good, it's bad people drive out good ones.

2. Heavy-handed moderation. A lot of times in forums, I felt I needed to be a bouncer instead of a moderator. It doesn't make me look good and it's not fun, but sometimes, really trashing people (or just arbitrarily removing their posts) makes them go away. This also is self-perpetuating, because the jerks complain about what an a**hole I am, which keeps people of a similar ilk away.

I'd love to see more people participating in SSS and Musicplayer, but only if they have the same kind of attitude as those who are already here.

You are probably correct regarding population and belligerence. the anonymity of the Interwebz provides secure camouflage for poo-flinging monkeys. And, I've flung my share of poo. At a certain point one realizes that negativity does not engender positive behavior and there IS something worth having that is lost - knowledge.

On the other hand, the common courtesy on MPN has become more or less required protocol.

Therefore, it behooves us to maintain that protocol, as soon as you turn on somebody and give them what they gave, you've lost and they've won.

And some may simply need an opportunity to consider being civil. I guess if you were a shit-stirrer on Gearslutz it might be quite an adaption to come on here and join the conversations.

If they take the time to look around and consider advice given regarding behavior, they may glean some valuable information here, I certainly have!

The hugely apparent bottom line is that people do share and do help on MPN, one of the reasons I love it here and toss in my own 2 cents if it's something I've learned - guitar tech posting in the Guitar Forum for one.

I'm not afraid of losing business by explaining the intricacies of guitar set up, I've long since switched to a paradigm of "buy guitar, fix it up and sell it." and only a chosen few can bring me something for tweaking.

If one of my online friends can learn how to improve their playing experience, that is valuable. I am grateful for the kindness of others and have met some great people on here who've given me new ideas, helped clarify my direction, etc.

The benefits of politeness far out-balance the momentary "rush" of overwhelming somebody with negativity.

In a nutshell, I think the positivity on MPN will prevail over the occasional rudeness of "intruders" every time and there will be some who acknowledge that and modify their approach to their own benefit.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

This forum is not shy about confronting idiots like those on GS, and we do it without getting into a fight. If the idiots persist, they are booted. That's a big reason why the MusicPlayer forums are much more civilized. Now get off my lawn. :D

It may be that we simply don't appeal to people looking for a fight, because people here don't seem to be very interested in fighting.

I'd also suggest.... it's because there is a known respected person "in charge" - you - participating. Not that Jules Standen isn't "known", it's just not the same thing.

One of the more civil forums I've been a part of had a tremendously non-PC name- the guitar-centric Huge Racks Inc. - I believe mainly because a good portion of the participants were "known" people in the industry, AND for the most part used their actual names. The proportion of *real names* has a lot to do with civility IMO. Twitter is a nuthouse because of the anonymity. If everyone was a verified "blue check" things would be different.

I'll say one day.... someone will make a successful forum website based on that concept, and it will be thought of as "revolutionary" and become extremely popular because of it. Imagine how much better Reddit would be if people used their actual names?

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

...and threads do not go on for moths or years.

I have no problem with threads that go on for months or years. They can be really useful, and avoid starting multiple topics on the same issue. It's a slightly different forum structure over there. Yes, there are some crabby people, but maybe I'm not participating in the right parts lol since I have only had one or two issues with members over three years, about the same as here in five years. The tilt there is more studio folks versus primarily gigging folks that we seem to have at MPN. That reflects in some of the lengthy conversations there about converters and whatnot.

We DO actually have long-lived threads at KC. Check out any of the model-specific threads, particularly about clonewheel organs. Nothing wrong with that.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

...and threads do not go on for moths or years.

I have no problem with threads that go on for months or years. They can be really useful, and avoid starting multiple topics on the same issue. It's a slightly different forum structure over there. Yes, there are some crabby people, but maybe I'm not participating in the right parts lol since I have only had one or two issues with members over three years, about the same as here in five years. The tilt there is more studio folks versus primarily gigging folks that we seem to have at MPN. That reflects in some of the lengthy conversations there about converters and whatnot.

We DO actually have long-lived threads at KC. Check out any of the model-specific threads, particularly about clonewheel organs. Nothing wrong with that.

But how many stay on topic? Also, I get lost on there as well, trying to make sense of anything?

People use their actual names on FB and can be rightfully $#!^^¥. In some neighborhood groups I'm in, it seems like when the member number gets over a certain level, civility goes out the window. And these are groups of neighbors who know and live near each other. So I don't think using real names help. I wish it did.

OTOH, some groups are better moderated and posts or threads that are nasty or offensive get nuked. That seems to turn the temperature down, and the offender, when not banned, goes away as someone mentioned.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Fb is a different dynamic. The... zealotry aggression on Fb is akin to people doing a drive by in a neighborhood across town, then returning to their home turf - thanks to Fb's lack of moderation.

On a forum such as this, here IS the "neighborhood". If on places that are in Wild Wild West mode like Harmony Central, people had only one identity to use or else they're gone from the neighborhood, it would tone a lot of riff raff down, as well eliminate anonymous trolling.

For instance, on the Reaper forum periodically anonymous trolls show up who appear to be a "normal" user with a handful of posts... and then try to derail things. Or after having a trolling fit, they get banned only to return with a different alias.

Facebook and Twitter *choose* to be loony bins, and actively try to amp up aggression. I'm referencing forums were the owners would prefer not to take that tact.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Over time, my social media filters went from band-pass to a form of band-reject so severe that KC is my last such neighborhood. Twitter is a fist looking for a face, for example. The funny moments can be real keepers, but the rest is like trying to herd wolverines. I prefer civility. Screaming about synthesizers is like screaming at elevator buttons. By contrast, all I really need at the moment is a slap on the hand for comparing the CS80V and ME80, as if I needed yet another synth. :rolleyes:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese