Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer Polyeight

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are surely busy, that"s for sure. I prefer when they differentiate in their 'cloning'. Even more so when the inspiration is only a starting point, as in the DM12.

One of these days they will make one I want. I"ve my eye on how the Gigli Pro 800 turns out.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

just one more

to ignore

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

One of these days they will make one I want. I"ve my eye on how the Gigli Pro 800 turns out.

Yep. Just like 40 years ago, I'm not tempted. I wanted the likes an OB-Xa or Prophet 600 back then, and do so now as well - if Behringer complies that is.

Yep. Just like 40 years ago, I'm not tempted. I wanted the likes an OB-Xa or Prophet 600 back then, and do so now as well - if Behringer complies that is.

Behringer made a Prophet 800, but it"s a module. As for the UB-XA? That is taking a bit longer. At least it can"t be called the OB-XA since Tom has already copyrighted that moniker. As a matter of fact so did Roland. They did however rip off Arturia with the Swing Keyboard controller which is an exact copy of the KEYSTEP. Despite Behringer denying it!

Here's a vote for the Legacy line. If you just want the Polysix for its sound, its an easy way to get it. Stack two instances and poof, its a PolyTwelve. I had a hardware MonoPoly at one time, so its a spacey experience to see its lacks addressed in a huge way with the soft version, which includes a librarian and dual effects. A stack of four instances of that can get big easily. Its not everyone's route of choice, but it delivers.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I'm starting to lose track of Behringer's logic in cloning all those 70s and 80s synths. Now, I can understand redoing the big boys, Minimoog, 2600, CS80, Jupiter 8, OBXa.... those ones which have become so overpriced on the used market to be out of reach for most average musicians; having them (or close approximations) at a fraction of the price is wonderful. But the mid range stuff, the polys with just one oscillator, the ones that have to resort to internal chorus to sound decent? I'm wondering if there really is enough demand to sell all those different instruments.

Not to mention that of all the *big* polys that have been announced, none has really seen the light yet... I guess that the little brothers are easier to replicate. Or maybe, Mr.B is aware that when they issue the clone of a really iconic synth, everybody is going to dissect and judge every little molecule of it...

Btw I think that the Model D and the 2600 sound great.

Still waiting for a Bovachord.

Make it a module, slightly scaled-down controls...modern tech might enable a smaller form factor, though the entire thing was based on tubes IIRC. I'd buy one lol!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments