Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2021 resolutions?

Hi All!!

In previous years I would link back to the earlier thread but it seems I broke my own tradition in 2020, so I will start afresh...

What are your resolutions for 2021? Mine are diverse... So in no particular order:

* focus on playing the blues - really, and I mean REALLY dive deep into it;

* apply pentatonics in a musical way, and perhaps play a solo or two on bass;

* start an additional band, preferably a blues trio where i will share vocal duties;

* practice the ukulele more - I have so much fun playing it, it's a shame I don't do it more (or better).

On the non-musical front, there's:

* train for a full marathon (I ran 2 half-marathons in one week earlier this year, but training towards it was brutal and I overreached a bit, so I will rethink my training schedule and take it easier);

* go to yoga class weekly / meditate more;

* finalize a very specific event of which I best speak later - it is at the same time a sad event, and something which opens new opportunities. More on this once it u folds, I promise.

Anyone wanna play?

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good list. I highly recommend you read both "Deep Blues" and "Rock and Roll, an Unruly History" by Robert Palmer.

And, listen with sharp ears to Muddy Waters and Billy Holiday. Be aware that there are pitches in the blues that are not in the tempered scale, learn to hear those.

The African via Middle Eastern influences cannot be ignored.

My New Years Resolution is to record my own songs in my humble home studio. If that's al I accomplish I will be happy.

Cheers and Happy New Year to you and yours!!!!

Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 2 weeks later...

More live playing, once open-air festival season starts.

I was fortunate to do about seven or eight such gigs last fall, and I'm hoping the band will resume it's schedule once the weather gets nicer here.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Resolutions, shmezolutions...

But I am hoping to get my singing voice back in order, or at least better than it currently is.

Hoping to also get a chance to ply upright at a gig.

And maybe finally get that elusive fretless 5-string.

Maybe even get back into songwriting; but I don't think either of my current bands are the right projects for what I write.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• 2 months later...

For years, I would put "learn Beatles songs" on this list. A few weeks ago I was approached by a guitarist, to start a Beatles cover (not tribute) band... I love the irony!!

Been playing a lot of uke, lately. Love it. There's no yoga classes, but I try and maintain my 3x/week running schedule. Slowly building up to half-marathon distance again. I got time...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Sounds like you are doing very well Eddie, is good!

I've made some progress but lots of life changes this year.

My resolve is strong, I'm re-setting right now and getting things in order.

Life is unavoidable, as long as we are here! Keeping my chops up and jotting down ideas, those are both good.

Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.