Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

...One of the most valuable Squiers ever"

p90jr

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VERY cool!!!!

I had no idea about any of this. And, I'm one of those "Antiqua? Ugh!" kind of guys but it looks really cool on the Jazzmaster. I guess it just has to be the right shape to work. The original double cut hollowbodies were kind of ugly guitars anyway.

Almost 10 years ago I was walking around in Goodwill and one of the employees came out from the back with a mid-70's Fender hardshell case and set it down on a table right in front of me.

I opened it and it had a Squier Tele, made in Japan inside. Maple neck, black finish and white pickguard (Tuxedo Tele). Tag said $150, I had a 30% off coupon and I bought it.

As cool as it was, I just am no longer into the 7.5" radius or the medium fretwire so I sold it for around $300 a couple of months later. I don't know what those sell for now but I did OK at the time.

Another short episode in the long story of me buying crazy cool guitars for very little and flipping out of them before they became fabulous and expensive. So it goes...

I have a Tele with a Warmoth baritone neck that I love playing, it's got it's own sound. I tune it to B, not a great deal lower than standard but it has it's own sound.

Thanks for sharing your story, I enjoyed reading it and your Jazzbari looks awesome!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Ah, the return of P90s for metal! Somewhere, Tony Iommi is nodding in approval.

The coils look similar to P90's but the magnet structure is very different and so is the tone.

Jazzmaster pickups have magnetic pole pieces, like a Strat or Tele pickup.

P90s have 2 bar magnets on the bottom that magnetize a threaded center strip and the 6 machine screws that are the pole pieces. The magnetic field is huge compared to the Jazzmaster. a P90 picks up a broader section of the string.

So they sound quite a bit fatter and Jazzmaster pickups have more "chime" - more of a Fender sound but with a fuller low end than a Strat.

Both great sounding pickups and each with their own tones.

Ah, the return of P90s for metal! Somewhere, Tony Iommi is nodding in approval.

The Stoner Rock guys have been into P90s for a while (and Orange and Sunn amps, etc), because they worship Mountain, Black Sabbath, The Stooges and more of the late 60s/early 70s blues rock bohemoths ore than the later "heavy metal" sounds... and now this new wave of guys like the band featured in the article (who I enjoy) seem to take bits of that and Dinosaur, Jr., bits of metal as filtered through 00s emo and Shoegazer swirliness plus space rock and Radiohead artiness and make it into a big roar... "'Offsets (Jazzmasters and Jaguars)' seem to huge in general with that crowd... though they put in higher gain pickups a lot of the time...

Some of 'em, I don"t doubt. But most of the ones I know the rigs for- like Matt Pike (Sleep, High On Fire) favor Humbuckers.

Then again, I don"t pay much attention to other people"s rigs unless I"m trying to figure out what they"re doing...usually for someone else!ð¤ª

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Nice looking axe P90! I like the whammy-less style bridge and I really love the Strat style output jack and plate sunk into the body top. The fret markers look cool too. I wish all Jag and Jazzmasters offered those features. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Now that's interesting.

One of my besties in N.Y. has a near-miss gem-a 70s Strat in Antigua.

I played it for years when I went to visit him.

Sadly, he bought it when his assessment skills weren't so great.

The bridge is slightly offset from proper alignment with the neck.

The high E string is off the ftretboard at the very highest frets.

Aside from that. with some much-needed TLC it could be valuable.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

For baritone guitars, I like Dragonfly Guitars Japan

1259135937_tmp_img-Y25160448.jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

Hmm, just a dark green backdrop, and nothing more...

I don't know as it's particularly valuable, but I did clean-up and set-up work on a friend's Squire Strat- that turns out to be one of very few 100% Made In USA specimens, that were made to fulfil a contract that was impacted by a fire in a Mexican manufacturing facility. It's a pretty cool and great sounding, not bad playing Strat. I spent a lot of time adjusting the heights of the pickups, as well as relief, action, intonation, lubing contact/friction points for the strings and "tremolo", etc. etc.- and it paid off in great, classic Strat tone. Bear in mind that all this work was needed due to YEARS and YEARS of misguided misuse, not necessarily how it originally left the factory...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I was just shown a Baritone guitar today that my son-n-law just picked up. We didn't plug it in so maybe on the next visit I will know more. Since we're on the subject of Baritone guitars (for which I'm Baritone challenged), I thought I'd ask you guys the same dumb questions I asked him today. Why do they need to put a bridge pickup on a Baritone guitar? Wouldn't that ad more treble when you are searching for more of a bass sound? I could see blending the two pups for at least one reason for the 2nd pickup. I guess in order to have a little more treble and/or bass, the bridge pickup comes in handy? Would you use the bridge pick up alone or is the sound better when blending it with the neck pickup? Hopefully you guys can bust through the fog! Thanks! :idk:
Take care, Larryz

I think the bridge pickup is even more necessary in a baritone. Neck pickup only can easily be too dark & ill-defined. It's not a bass, it's just a guitar played a fourth lower, so you really don't want to over-emphasize low end tonally. That's already there due to the tessitura, or range that the instrument plays in. Also, a lot of people use baritones for decidedly twangy parts in their arrangement, for which the bridge pickup is essential. My Hagstrom baritone has a P90 at the neck & a humbucker at the bridge & I always have both tones all the way up, usually blending both pickups pretty equally.
Scott Fraser

I was just shown a Baritone guitar today that my son-n-law just picked up. We didn't plug it in so maybe on the next visit I will know more. Since we're on the subject of Baritone guitars (for which I'm Baritone challenged), I thought I'd ask you guys the same dumb questions I asked him today. Why do they need to put a bridge pickup on a Baritone guitar? Wouldn't that ad more treble when you are searching for more of a bass sound? I could see blending the two pups for at least one reason for the 2nd pickup. I guess in order to have a little more treble and/or bass, the bridge pickup comes in handy? Would you use the bridge pick up alone or is the sound better when blending it with the neck pickup? Hopefully you guys can bust through the fog! Thanks! :idk:

Listen to the guitar solo on Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell, the original single. That is a baritone guitar and it is a treble tone.It sort of clank/growls through the rest of the backing tracks and is clearly heard.

By the way, Danelectro was the first company to introduce a baritone guitar and most of the classic stuff you hear (Johnny Horton, the intro to La Bamba, etc.) is a Dano. Fender's first 6 string bass came later and could be strung as a bass or as a baritone. It had a vibrato bar, nice feature for a bari!

I took a hot rod Franken Tele I had lying around and put a Warmoth Baritone neck on it. I use both pickups (EMG SA in the neck, EMG 81 in the bridge) or just the bridge pickup. The neck pickup alone is a little too smooth for the sound I want.

For baritone guitars, I like Dragonfly Guitars Japan

1259135937_tmp_img-Y25160448.jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

Hmm, just a dark green backdrop, and nothing more..

Really? I'm checking now, I can seer the photo.

Well here is the home page. The baritones are at the bottom-Zone B and B6.

https://www.harrysjp.com/dragonflyguitars.htm

Thanks Scott and Kuru, very helpful info. I listened to Wichita Lineman and could hear what each of you were talking about and the Baritone sounding lead was very cool. I remember the Ventures using a 6 string bass back in the day on a couple of tunes. I didn't remember the whammy bar though. I mentioned the 6 string bass to my son-n-law when looking at his Baritone. The one Skip has in his photo has a much longer neck. I do like blending humbuckers in the middle position of the 3way so I can understand Scott's settings. Thanks again! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Thanks Scott and Kuru, very helpful info. I listened to Wichita Lineman and could hear what each of you were talking about and the Baritone sounding lead was very cool. I remember the Ventures using a 6 string bass back in the day on a couple of tunes. I didn't remember the whammy bar though. I mentioned the 6 string bass to my son-n-law when looking at his Baritone. The one Skip has in his photo has a much longer neck. I do like blending humbuckers in the middle position of the 3way so I can understand Scott's settings. Thanks again! :thu:

I see I mistakenly referred to the neck pickup in the sentence about needing some twang in baritone parts. I corrected that just now. I meant that you really need the bridge position to get that spaghetti western/Twin Peaks kind of tone out of a baritone.

Scott Fraser

Not what I expected. I thought it would be Jimmy Page"s Hello Kitty double neck.

X3xHEvP.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Listen to the guitar solo on Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell, the original single. That is a baritone guitar and it is a treble tone.It sort of clank/growls through the rest of the backing tracks and is clearly heard.

By the way, Danelectro was the first company to introduce a baritone guitar and most of the classic stuff you hear (Johnny Horton, the intro to La Bamba, etc.) is a Dano. Fender's first 6 string bass came later and could be strung as a bass or as a baritone. It had a vibrato bar, nice feature for a bari!

I took a hot rod Franken Tele I had lying around and put a Warmoth Baritone neck on it. I use both pickups (EMG SA in the neck, EMG 81 in the bridge) or just the bridge pickup. The neck pickup alone is a little too smooth for the sound I want.

Yeah, when I use it in a band onstage, I'm playing through my guitar rig and I need a lot of reverb and a Tremolo pedal going to separate it from the bass guitar... Mine is tuned to A, so there ends up being a lot of overlap in notes between me and the bassist during a solo, though if I'm playing chords for the rest of the song I'll play it higher up the neck, roughly in the first half of a standard guitar's neck, and will even kick on my JangleBox compressor/treble boost to make it more 60s twangy and bright... but I play Americana and Indie Rock, mostly. The metal guys like love to chug away with distortion and honestly I don't think they even use the neck pickup (I've seen some tape the pickup selector to the bridge pickup so they don't hit it when they're flailing away)...

I'm fighting the temptation to buy a Reverend Descent baritone that's at a local store. I really don't need it. I really don't need it. I really don't need it.

but I like it.

:/ You need it. C'm on. You know you want it. :rawk:

I'm fighting the temptation to buy a Reverend Descent baritone that's at a local store. I really don't need it. I really don't need it. I really don't need it.

but I like it.

I didn't "need" a baritone either, until I got one. Then I had to have one when I sold it. Now I have another one.

Fair warning - my first one was a Danelectro Hodad bari. The neck was essentially a vibrato bar, touch it and the pitch shifted. Arg!

Now I have a Tele with a Warmoth bari neck on it, solid and practical.

I've not played the Reverend but swing it around a bit and see if the pitch dives. You might like that but it drove me insane. Baritones are FUN and do stuff that guitars and basses won't do.

but I like it.

giphy.gif

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

but I like it.

giphy.gif

Cookies. Punch. Light sabers. Baritone guitars. We've got 'em.

but I like it.

I didn't "need" a baritone either, until I got one. Then I had to have one when I sold it. Now I have another one.

Fair warning - my first one was a Danelectro Hodad bari. The neck was essentially a vibrato bar, touch it and the pitch shifte.

Whaat? waiter-excuse me, can I get a table on the other side of the galaxy please?

but I like it.

Fair warning - my first one was a Danelectro Hodad bari. The neck was essentially a vibrato bar, touch it and the pitch shifte.

Whaat? waiter-excuse me, can I get a table on the other side of the galaxy please?

Remain calm, Sir Skip. The neck joint on the body of the Hodad was not strong, at all. It was worthless and weak. The neck sort of felt like a noodle because of the poor support.

You don't realize that the movements you naturally make while playing could have the effect of shifting the pitch of the strings, until it does.

The design and implementation was sufficiently poor that I could not think of an easy way to stabilize it. The only answer is to make it SEP - Somebody Else's Problem. Maybe they like that method of pitch shifting, you never can tell.

but I like it.

Remain calm, Sir Skip. The neck joint on the body of the Hodad was not strong, at all. It was worthless and weak. The neck sort of felt like a noodle because of the poor support.

You don't realize that the movements you naturally make while playing could have the effect of shifting the pitch of the strings, until it does.

The design and implementation was sufficiently poor that I could not think of an easy way to stabilize it. The only answer is to make it SEP - Somebody Else's Problem. Maybe they like that method of pitch shifting, you never can tell.

Here ya go: that same pain in the neck design Hodad- in a 12 String Baritone... !!??!!

Talk about asking for chiropractic tuning instability... !!

1942.jpg.20df0734af32546e658d8b1a26566ba3.jpg