Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crackling triggering iOS apps from my YC61?

Hi,

I have bought a couple of apps today to use with the built in audio interface of my YC61 but I'm getting a crackling noise? The apps that I'm trying are the Ravenscroft 275, GSI VB3m and IK iGrand. I've tried these on both my iPad mini4 and my iPhone 7 but have the same crackling noise!

I'm brand new to using apps via a keyboard so am not sure if there are certain settings I need to do? Any suggestions as to why I'm getting the crackling noise?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks I wasn"t aware of this.

Bizarrely I tried Ravenscroft this morning and it worked perfectly for over 1/2 half then it started getting crackles? I seem to be getting the crackling at different random times? Sometimes it"s works great for a while and then other times it crackles early on!? It is worse with VB3m despite this using noticeably less cpu?

Sometimes it"s works great for a while and then other times it crackles early on!?

Was the charger plugged in? If not, it's possible that performance may degrade as the battery level drops...?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Ok I tried both my iPad Mini 4 and iPhone 7 fully charged with the charger plugged in and am still getting crackling when trying to play VB3m and the Ravenscroft 275 through the built in audio interface of my YC61.

Should I be changing any other settings on my iPad? I"m pretty new to using my iOS devices as sound modules.

For Ravenscroft, go to the gear settings icon in the top left, audio/MIDI preferences, and increase the audio buffer size. I would guess that VB3m may a similar setting somewhere. Also, for testing, make sure you're loading only one MIDI app at a time. Make sure they work well by themselves before trying to run them in tandem.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks Scott. I"m using the 512 buffer size in the Ravenscroft and only have that loaded. In VB3m there doesn"t appear to be any options for changing the buffer size.

512 should be plenty, I would hope you could get 256.

Yeah, I saw on the VB3m product description that it is supposed to automatically select the best setting for itself. Nice idea, but it might have been nice to be able to override that, even just for troubleshooting purposes. But then, I've always been skeptical of things like that, and that's just me.

My next idea would be to see what happens if you don't use the YC61 interface. Any chance you have another way to connect, like a 5-pin DIN MIDI connection into your iPad?

What version of IOS are you running?

Our 2nd generation Ipad Pro is running 14.4 and our Iphone 6s is running 11.4 and both run Ravenscroft flawlessly with a buffer of 512.

We have an older Ipad from 2012 with IOS version 9.3.5 and Ravenscroft makes periodic crackling noises on it no matter what I do with the buffer, polyphony, sustain, etc.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Always turn on the aeroplane mode and turn off WI-FI while playing. Cracles are almost certain if Your device devides to check mail etc. and it"s not cool if You get a call in the middle of soloð.

The VB3m has no background audio yet, so You can"t really use the stand-alone with some other app. The only real option to run several music apps at the same time is to run them as AUv3 in a host like AUM.

PX5S+XW-P1, SK1, Solton MS-100, MoXF8, Ketron X4

Samson Graphite49, Behringer iStudio202, iPad3, iPad mini2, Galileo, Korg Module, forScore

RCF 310A, Roland CM-30, Yamaha 01V, Radial ProAV2

I have Ravenscroft and VB3m running smoothly in AUM with 256frames buffer at 55-65%CPU in iPhone7 iOS 14.4.2ð

1940.jpg.570ef3ce6057cb9cadf0a1dd415a50b1.jpg

PX5S+XW-P1, SK1, Solton MS-100, MoXF8, Ketron X4

Samson Graphite49, Behringer iStudio202, iPad3, iPad mini2, Galileo, Korg Module, forScore

RCF 310A, Roland CM-30, Yamaha 01V, Radial ProAV2

I also have IK iGrand and had no crackling.

You may wish to change leads and try another adaptor

Ok I'll try this.

Would the be any advantage to running Ravenscroft 275 and VB3m through something like AUM?

I've just seen this really great demo of the YC61 by Sorin Zlat and towards the end (13:12) he demonstrates the built in audio interface with the iOS Ravenscroft 275 app on his iPhone. He is just using the Apple USB3 adapter and a USB cable and it works perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...

As a small update I"m able to use Pure Piano at a buffer of 128 without a single issue on my YC61 but need to increase the buffer of Ravenscroft 275 and VB3m to 512 or even 1028 on occasions!?

I"m wondering why I can"t get these apps to work well with the YC61 yet I"ve seen reports of others having no problems with older iPhone 6 running VB3m on YC61!.