Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Malcolm Cecil, co-father of T.O.N.T.O., passes at 84

This is inevitably sad news, but it seems less so when you look at the great impact he had. He was a vital thread in the tapestry and we all owe our current casual options in part to the unique musical path he established. That's an excellent legacy. I always got the feeling that he was having great fun. It tends to show. Malcolm also gets added points for hitting it off with Bob Moog. That didn't seem hard to do, of course, but you can really bond over the fun of building a system.

I've had an odd relationship with T.O.N.T.O. over the years. Its been a dual fascination, due to its stunner application by Steve Wonder and "The Phantom Of The Paradise," where it famously stood in for the Phantom's pipe organ. Those hit me at loosely the same time. Then I discovered the Expanding Headband works and was further mesmerized.

I was still just a noob with a MiniMoog and some guitar pedals, but the parts of the instrument I could recognize were the stuff of fantasy, never mind the parts that were alien to me. Its in my Rarities folder alongside the Synthia, the GX-1 and the Orchestron. They all hold places of honor along my early path to becoming a colossal synth nerd. Thanks for lifting the game, Malcolm.

Malcolm Cecil passes

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hold those albums he coproduced with Stevie and Bob Margouleff in the same arena as the Beatles Rubber Soul - Abbey Road, the Stones with Beggars Banquet - Exile on Main St., Elton John s/t - Blue Moves, Miles' Milestones - In A Silent Way etc......an artist at his creative and commercial peak, firing on all cylinders with the right songs, right producer/collaborators etc. What an amazing guy...RIP.

I had a chance to chat with him briefly a couple of times over the years. A wonderful fellow, very kind and seemingly a bit amazed that so many people knew about his little baby. He will be missed.

I am not sure if TONTO is still in the possession of Mark Mothersbaugh... does anyone know? EDIT: That Rolling Stone story tells of TONTO's current location. I must make a pilgrimage someday.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

R.I.P. Malcolm. You touched so many of us and your legacy lives on.

In his honor, it would be great to see a recreation of TONTO done right in a VST? Can I get an Amen?

Talk about a labor of love! Sheesh. Arturia? Cherry Audio? Bueller?

Watched the YT video of The Making of TONTO:

After watching that video, I realize how cool it would be to be able to play with that beast

for an afternoon/day/week/month/year. The Stevie parts were breathtaking!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I got to meet Malcom at the Moog Factory in 2014. It was the first day of Moogfest and I was dropping off my Voyager for service. As I walked around the main floor greeting old friends I was introduced to MC. Like, "Oh, and here's Malcom Cecil." We shook hands and in my head I'm thinking, holy f*ck, it's Malcolm Cecil! A gracious man, a true legend. Beth and I were told later that he bought one of everything on display in the showroom that day.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

A VST version of T.O.N.T.O.?? Have you ever seen the list of modules, not to mention various well-aged EQs and mystery effects? You'd need a power-computer just to run enough instances of the various SEMs, Moogs, ARPs and Crom knows what else. Imagine the number of screens required! Imagine one for the patch bay alone! Imagine the coding process of galactic proportions! Imagine the DEMO version for 6 platforms, cue Godzilla music! Ha!

The new versions of the 8-Voice or the VCV should be plenty. Unhinge yourself by running both at once, if that's the rush you need. T.O.N.T.O. is unique in general shape and time stamp. Its Malcolm's legacy in hardware. Its somewhat like Keith showing off his modular Moog to a crowd once. He said "You can't touch it. Don't even LOOK at it!" It got a great laugh because its True in several colorful ways. Lotta noise about a mere monosynth. :o:hitt::D

You don't need a software T.O.N.T.O. You just need a med check and a fresh copy of Full Bucket's Korg FB3300 to sooth the faux butthurt. :hugegrin:

~ "King of the Hill"

My new wallpaper for the next month! Thanks, mate! Imagine the sensory overload if there was a busty woman sitting there instead of Malcolm. :pop:

~ "King of the Hill"

A VST version of T.O.N.T.O.?? Have you ever seen the list of modules, not to mention various well-aged EQs and mystery effects? You'd need a power-computer just to run enough instances of the various SEMs, Moogs, ARPs and Crom knows what else. Imagine the number of screens required! Imagine one for the patch bay alone! Imagine the coding process of galactic proportions! Imagine the DEMO version for 6 platforms, cue Godzilla music! Ha!

The new versions of the 8-Voice or the VCV should be plenty. Unhinge yourself by running both at once, if that's the rush you need. T.O.N.T.O. is unique in general shape and time stamp. Its Malcolm's legacy in hardware. Its somewhat like Keith showing off his modular Moog to a crowd once. He said "You can't touch it. Don't even LOOK at it!" It got a great laugh because its True in several colorful ways. Lotta noise about a mere monosynth. :o:hitt::D

You don't need a software T.O.N.T.O. You just need a med check and a fresh copy of Full Bucket's Korg FB3300 to sooth the faux butthurt. :hugegrin:

I watched as they went through all the components and I understand what you're saying. I was kind of half-joking when I posted it.

I've got my hands full with all the hardware and software I have (including the OB-E). I'll never make it through them all before I die I'm afraid!

I'll have to talk to my doctor next time I see him about my meds. lol

BTW David, thanks for the heads up on the FB3300. I don't hang around KVR too often and that one slipped past me. So help me out here, I already got the GForce OB-E Eight Voice, and will probably pick up the Cherry Audio version too since it's so cheap, but what is this VCV you mention? If it is the Arturia V Collection, I have that as well and hope to wade through all it has at some point. Baby steps, right?

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Midinut, here's the link. Its a modular software synthesizer already offering a mass of modules, with a user community that's been growing steadily. If you're Eurorack-serious but either new to it or lacking space (and $) for a ton of hardware, its the next logical place to go. Like I said, you can now build T.O.N.T.O. inside your computer. You won't get the fine wood cabinets or drifting molecules of Stevie's DNA wafting up from the keys, but the sound, yeah. I prefer slab synths and Logic Pro as more direct. My brain already feels like a modular with half of the cords dangling in the breeze.

VCV Rack

~ "King of the Hill"

Wow! Just send me down another "rabbit hole" why don't you! lol

I remember when Native Instruments first brought out Reaktor and thinking to myself "I could build pretty much any synth I ever wanted with this thing" and looking at all the modules people would share of things they built in Reaktor.

Sadly enough I have never scratched the surface of what it can do. I also got Tassman way back when it was still a part of AAS Modeling Collection. Same story. About the time I start to grasp a VST, another one pokes its head up at me!

Thanks for that link though. I have debated for years whether to go the Eurorack route and have not because I spend more time with figuring these things out than I do actually making music. VCV may be a way to wade in gently!

Funny, I was just watching a Moog 50th Anniversary Documentary and they were describing the Keith Emerson Modular. Wow, what a HUGE sound that thing makes. Can't afford one nor do I have the space (however, if someone was to gift me one, I'd find the space!) but I do have the Arturia Modular V and the iPad version.

Hardware:
Yamaha

Software:
Recording

>> Wow! Just send me down another "rabbit hole" why don't you! lol

You don't need any help with that, being one of Our Kind. I've resisted it reasonably well, but like many space cadets, I dream of Omnisphere. If I ever land that, I get the unsettling feeling that I'll take Strum and M-Tron Pro along, but abandon everything else. I can't multitask like that.

>> Thanks for that link though. I have debated for years whether to go the Eurorack route and have not because I spend more time with figuring these things out than I do actually making music. VCV may be a way to wade in gently!

Its not my direction, but I admire people who have a small modular within reach. I got to do the early MS-20/ARP/Moog trigger dance. When you have that option, its like an effects puzzle box. Plugging into the wrong jack can be a great discovery. Mr. Big pulled that stunt with a BOOMP moment. My poor dog splayed his feet and ran out the door.

>> Funny, I was just watching a Moog 50th Anniversary Documentary and they were describing the Keith Emerson Modular. Wow, what a HUGE sound that thing makes. Can't afford one nor do I have the space (however, if someone was to gift me one, I'd find the space!) but I do have the Arturia Modular V and the iPad version.

You'll love this... I prodded a friend into getting the Modular V. He loved the form and the swinging patch cords, but the payoff was even greater. He sent me a QuickTime video of himself running it through his whopper sound system. (Nicely padded basement studio.) He hit a note that growled like a dragon. His wife came down the stairs just far enough to bend down and yell "DAMNIT!!! WTF is wrong with you???????" :laugh: The software versions possess the holy goods. :2thu:

~ "King of the Hill"