Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gigs: Good to be back in the Game

While we had a gig or two a month starting last July, it hasn't been till February of this year that things have begun to pick up, albeit at limited capacity shows.

This past Friday night, we finally were back on the big stage, with many more to come.

Jammin'

I5McV3.jpg

Even with "limited capacity" we still had 250 people buy tickets for reserved seats.

Q6ihxE.jpg

During soundcheck, my drummer put his phone on one of his floor toms to catch when we do an acapella check to make sure relative voices are mixed right.

What you hear is his side fill monitor

[video:youtube]

And the audience signing along (which is the total energy boost for us.... this crowd was great, literally signing all night.

Forgive the quality, a friend apparently captured this on their potato phone.

[video:youtube]

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome Dave. Love those harmonies on After the Fall. The vocal inflection, tone, blend, phrasing, etc., definitely capture (ha) Journey. I've heard various singers do Steve Perry with varying degrees of success, but bands often fall short with the harmonies...but that was top-notch! :2thu:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I've said it before, your lead vocalist is the sh&t! Harmonies are great too. The instrumental aspects of a Journey tribute takes skill, but imo opinion it's going to be the vocals that make a band like this successful.

And you've played as a unit for a very long time, which says a lot about you as people with a teamwork ethic.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'm totally booked for the summer; actually turning down shows because time slots aren't available. Still looking like everything is outdoors which I am not particularly a fan of ....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Got my first two in about three weeks. Going to be very weird, it's been a year and a month. Our schedule seems a bit light for this year but I'm that surprised. Our guitarist has lots of single and duo shows as that's more affordable for places vs a full band.

I have pretty much a brand new setup with an ipad in the mix, I haven't played or sung these songs in a year, and I'm super leery of crowds as an automatic reflex at this point (vaccine logic notwithstanding.) what could go wrong! :) First one is outdoors and an early 3 hrs so that will let me ease into things.

My biggest concern with things getting back to normal is being able to stay up so late! My main band has played sporadically over the past 8 or 9 months, but with curfews and so on, our shows have all been early-evening -- like 7-9:30 or 8-10:30. We joke that we're already loaded out at the time we used to start. It's gonna take a lot of 5-Hour Energy drinks to get readjusted!

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

I had an actual load-the-gear-and-play-in-front-of-living-humans gig this past week too. Outdoors, spaced, and our side of the stage was all either fully or mostly vaccinated. The people were mixed between distanced and very-not distanced, masked and not, but the overall percentage of generally good behavior made it easier for me to imagine/hope/rationalize/pretend that those who were on top of each other were vaccinated too.

Of course, the problem is now it won't happen again for awhile, so it ended up feeling a little like Awakenings, with this brief moment of "real" life and then more fog of uncertainty.

But not going to lie, it was fun AF.

1924.thumb.jpg.359e3e623b8b77afdebee995d7b48389.jpg

1925.jpg.278a441f8b11a2bc6adf7d68804642d6.jpg

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

My biggest concern with things getting back to normal is being able to stay up so late!

The struggle is real. My current (non-keyboard playing) gigging schedule is 2-3 nights a week till midnight, and it's wiping me out! I'm not a night owl by nature, and after essentially taking a year off it's a real body slam. And we haven't started normal hours yet - till 1:30. :ohmy:

But all in all, it's a great feeling to be out again. Congrats to all who have resumed gigging! :hugegrin:

My biggest concern with things getting back to normal is being able to stay up so late!

The struggle is real. My current (non-keyboard playing) gigging schedule is 2-3 nights a week till midnight, and it's wiping me out! I'm not a night owl by nature, and after essentially taking a year off it's a real body slam. And we haven't started normal hours yet - till 1:30. :ohmy:

But all in all, it's a great feeling to be out again. Congrats to all who have resumed gigging! :hugegrin:

It is real, though mine is the other direction. Many decades of waking up no earlier than 8:30 have not prepared me for waking up to take my kid to high school. Both my kid and I are slowly becoming zombies, by Friday I'm dragging like crazy. It's fricking stupid to start high school at 7AM is all I have to say. Some counties are changing this but not ours.

I learn SO much from you here (we play in similar bands). It's awesome to see your posts come to life on stage. Thanks for posting!!!

M-Audio Hammer 88, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha ReFace CP, Korg D1

MacBook Air 13" M1 (2021) Logic Pro X 10.5, Mainstage, Roland Cloud (Ultimate), U-He DIVA, Arturia V-8

JammSammich, Peoria, Illinois