Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yellowjackets -- Jackets XL

With the WDR Big Band, they play Jackets fan favorites over the years.

Really cool arrangement of Revelation, studio recording session of Downtown, and the full concert over in Germany are shown below.

Bass player Dane Alderson really stands out as a melodic soloist.

[video:youtube]

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, nice to hear.

I got to confess, I stop paying attention after Jimmy Haslip left. Dane Alderson and Felix Pastorius both are great but man Jimmy has great personality in his sound. I love those earlier albums, I was just listening to them in my car the other day.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Thanks, nice to hear.

I got to confess, I stop paying attention after Jimmy Haslip left. Dane Alderson and Felix Pastorius both are great but man Jimmy has great personality in his sound. I love those earlier albums, I was just listening to them in my car the other day.

I listen to the new bassist Dane and he's good, but his feel isn't working like Jimmy's did.

The only one I listen too often is the yellow CD titled Yellowjackets. This new release is on Apple Music so I am downloading now. This is where rental music comes in handy. :)

There first album from 1980 when they still were Robben Ford's backup band. I was a GIT student then (they were in process of adding the name Musician's Institute in 1980) and Robben Ford with what became the YellowJackets played every Tuesday night at a small bar in Hollywood. Alternating a set with Robben Ford and a set of instrumentals with singer Marilyn Scott singing a couple songs. The were smoking back then doing all the song from Robben first album and YellowJackets first album. The bar was always packed especially with GIT students. Lineup has changed over the last 40 years, but hey how many bands stay together that long. Also being a L.A. person got to get hear Ferrante and Haslip a lot over the year as sidemen for many other artists.

Docbop you jarred my memory. As an east-coaster I didn't get out west much at all in my younger days. I was in a little local band and we played some tunes from Robben's record that featured the band that became the Yellowjackets (Inside Story), along with some from the Jackets's first record â Tee Time For Eric, Rush Hour, Magic Sam, and Matinee Idol. We also played a Marilyn Scott song ("why-oh-you", from her first album), along with quite a bit of Brenda Russel. Both those singers have long associations with the Jackets. Here are two particularly tasty examples (imo!) with great writing, and very nice playing by everybody:

Great band. Some of their tracks are continuously on rotation for me. One of those is Tortoise and the Hare. Ferrante, Haslip, Russo and Kennedy are credited on it, but I imagine Ferrante saying "Hey guys I got this pattern. Can we take it to the moon and back?"

Thanks, nice to hear.

I was bummed way back when Marc Russo left and always wondered what the story was. I ran across this in an interview:

"The birth of my son in 1986 started me thinking," says Marc. "I spent upwards of 200 days plus out on the road (and even more some years), and felt I really wasn't in control of my own existence. I felt that I did want to do a solo record, I wanted to spend more time at home with my family and I wanted to re-define myself . . . actually, I wanted to find out who I really was. I felt like I was personally loosing my own inner identity. Musically the 'Jackets were smokin' and I felt we were making a really great statement but I wanted to write more music and I felt to do it honestly, to give myself the best opportunity, I should focus one-hundred percent on it. So all those things led me to change my course."

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Thanks, nice to hear.

I was bummed way back when Marc Russo left and always wondered what the story was. I ran across this in an interview:

"The birth of my son in 1986 started me thinking," says Marc. "I spent upwards of 200 days plus out on the road (and even more some years), and felt I really wasn't in control of my own existence. I felt that I did want to do a solo record, I wanted to spend more time at home with my family and I wanted to re-define myself . . . actually, I wanted to find out who I really was. I felt like I was personally loosing my own inner identity. Musically the 'Jackets were smokin' and I felt we were making a really great statement but I wanted to write more music and I felt to do it honestly, to give myself the best opportunity, I should focus one-hundred percent on it. So all those things led me to change my course."

Good thing he never played with Pat Metheny who loves touring and burns out people with his two or three years of almost solid touring. I used to wonder why people let Pat until I look at the Pat's schedules. Then Pat makes everyone play a second instrument says it's good for them to get another point of view. So even great sax player Chris Potter, Pat taught him enough basic chords on guitar to play on one or two songs.

Great band. Some of their tracks are continuously on rotation for me. One of those is Tortoise and the Hare. Ferrante, Haslip, Russo and Kennedy are credited on it, but I imagine Ferrante saying "Hey guys I got this pattern. Can we take it to the moon and back?"

Fantastic. Such imaginative writing and stellar musicianship. I haven't followed them too much, thanks for posting that.