Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Returning too work

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard our grant will be funded and we might go back in May. I have actually liked not working. With all the stuff going on with my dad and then the house I don't know how I would have done it if I was working?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Very nice!

Not quite the same, but I've been working from home for a year and I do NOT want to go back to our crappy "open and collaborative" office. For one thing, that's an hour from my day driving (not as bad as some have it). I've saved a lot of money making my own food, not that anything was stopping me from brown-bagging it before....Anyway, if they do push us back into the stalls (for no good reason since our work has been fine) I'll be looking around for something remote now that I have a taste of it.

Congrats on returning to work!

I've been working from home since March 11, 2020. I'm grateful that my employer had made the right kind of investments in technology and collaboration tools to make this not so painful. It was very surreal and not great for the first several months, coming from a practically full time M-F in the office each day, working on a large campus style complex with tons of team interactions and 95% of the things fully in-person. Traveling around to various hubs of the company as needed and only working from home when it was necessary.

This remote working model has turned everything upside down and I suspect we'll never go back to a full M-F type schedule, whenever that time may come. We're looking at slow and staggered return to the office after Labor Day, if the pandemic and vaccination coverage is looking good. My best guess is that I'll always be working from home maybe 2-3 days and in the office (distanced for a while) 2-3 days. I'm ok with that. I do not miss my 30-45 minute commute each way and I've only put about 2k miles on my vehicle in the past year (normal average is 15k). Plus tons of money saved not getting Starbucks and eating lunch in the cafe daily. Wearing shorts and t-shirts (or hoodies in the colder months) has also been a nice change. Spending more time with my family and my cats, plus more time to do home projects.

I would have never anticipated what unfolded this past year. I'm really happy to see us moving from a stance of fear and uncertainty to a position of hope and optimism.

I miss playing live music the most. I can't wait for that to return on a more regular basis, after only playing a grand total of three outdoor gigs in the past year.

Regards,

Eric

Congrats Paul in returning back to work. :thu:

My employer has offered telework since the pandemic started. I chose to continue working in the office the whole time.

My commute has been a breeze. It didn't very long getting used to an empty building. I'd rather folks not come back. :laugh:

One thing the pandemic has proven is that folks who spend more than 50% of their time in front of a computer can work remotely.

Telework as a "privilege" and brick and mortar mentality managers i.e. I need to "see" folks in order to believe they're working :rolleyes:, all of that has flown out of the window.

In fact, employees claim they're more productive working from home. They use less sick leave and vacation time off. As mentioned, folks are saving money in transportation and food costs too.

I believe working remotely at least several days per week will become part of the new normal. Young folks learning virtually will be prepared for it whenever they enter the workforce too.

Otherwise, I do hope that between vaccination and herd immunity, the pandemic will subside to the point that folks can enjoy work, school, play and social gatherings again. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Good for you Paul. Congrats!

For many others though, things have permanently changed. Apparently many companies are not going to renew once their lease expire. Who's ever gonna rent those massive commercial buildings? One of my cousins who's an executive for one of tech companies said you're not gonna believe how much money we save just by not having to pay for janitorial services, free coffee for employees, various bills...etc. He said they quickly adapted to the new system and are even more efficient now.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Congrats and good luck, Paul!

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music