Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help identify synth with "Metal" sound (preset)

Maybe somebody knows what synth contains this sound (appears at the beginning, middle and end)? I used to think it was SY22 (or other SY/TG series), but I checked almost all the sounds of these synthesizers and did not find the sound I was looking for. Also I checked EX5 and found many sounds that were used in music, but there is no "metallic" one.

PS/ I don't know the composer or the name of music, so I can't found the gear that was used. I identify that JV1080 and SY77 used for sure.

https://www.4shared.com/mp3/WeyX_OMNea/metal.html

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sound is commonly known as a "Metal Pad". A cheap version of it can sometimes be found in various GM banks on keyboards. As far as the original, I don't know, but it's in the General Midi standard, so it would have to be from a board predating the General Midi standard.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I didnt listen too long cause that link popped up a bunch of spam but on my roland ds a patch called D50 digiNDnc sounds like that to me.

It did not even work for me, I have Disconnect and Adguard extensions on. When a site I don't know refuses to work with those on, I don't even bother.

I didnt listen too long cause that link popped up a bunch of spam but on my roland ds a patch called D50 digiNDnc sounds like that to me.

Could you record it for review?

You might enjoy this video. A lot of these types of sounds originated with the D50's sound design project and later made their way into the GM spec.

[video:youtube]

This video has the one I'm talking about except mine doesn't do the tinkly bit at the end. The video intro and the 1:30 mark.

FunMachine.

If you believe they could be from the SY, have you looked into the ROM cards SYN WAVE 1 and SYN WAVE 2?

There are glass and metal type sounds in them.

Yes, I cheked them (everything that I found on the Internet)

To be honest, I'm not sure that my sound from SY/TG series. Nevertheless for some reason it seems to me that it should definitely be FM

Nevertheless for some reason it seems to me that it should definitely be FM

No reason why these sounds couldn't be made on an FM synth. SY synths have a huge range. These sounds can be made with FM, with samples, and even on the fully featured virtual analog synths we see today. We have different ways of creating the inharmonic partials which evoke that metallic quality.

The D50 popularized many of these types of sounds because it was voiced that way by the sound designers and it was widely used. It was a fresh palette for it's time. But we can create these sounds with different tools.

I am still curious about the sound the OP meant, Jr. Deluxe suggested it was Digital Native Dance, but what part has that metallic character (I did not listen to the audio the OP posted the link of).

sound at the very beginning (then it gradually becomes quieter)

I listened to the demo SY22 and this synth can make really scary sounds (may be my sound from SY22)

I am still curious about the sound the OP meant, Jr. Deluxe suggested it was Digital Native Dance, but what part has that metallic character (I did not listen to the audio the OP posted the link of).

I listened to the demo SY22 and this synth can make really scary sounds (may be my sound from SY22)

At the very beginning is Digital Native Dance (and also starting at the 1:31 mark), immediately followed by Fantasia. Fantasia qualifies (to me at least) as metallic sound, DND does not (FWIW) unless you are thinking of one of the partials that compose it. That was the reason why I asked the question above.

Is Digital Native Dance the sound you were after?

So I braved the spam monsters and pop up redirect vampires to listen to the OPs link for a longer listen. First I'll say that roland can have similar but not exactly the same sounds with the same name on different synths. My digital ND and your digital native dance may have differences. So the linked sound starts out like the D50 Digital Native Dance but doesn't have the twinkly chimes at the end like the D50 DND. Now my digiND as it's called on the DS has more thunk on the attack but has a metallic swell like the linked sound but doesnt fade in and out with other metallic swells like the linked sound. So I no longer think the sound is exactly digital native dance but some other sound that was probably the next patch over.

You may be better off sampling the mp3 than trying to hunt that down. Or maybe contact ed diaz somehow and ask him.

FunMachine.

At the very beginning is Digital Native Dance (and also starting at the 1:31 mark), immediately followed by Fantasia. Fantasia qualifies (to me at least) as metallic sound, DND does not (FWIW) unless you are thinking of one of the partials that compose it. That was the reason why I asked the question above.

not exactly. DND is similar because of it mettalic pad, but I think my sound from SY (22/33 or 35 series). I saw a lot of demo of those synth and found that detune mode may change the sound a lot. So, now I think my sound may be a preset with detune?

Browsing TG500's presets on synthmania I found one sound - ME Grind (http://www.synthmania.com/Yamaha%20TG500/Audio/Preset%20Voice%20II/38%20ME%20Grind.mp3)

It seems like on high notes and the "tremolo effect" (possibly on the modulation wheel) the sound becomes similar to the one I'm looking for.

Perhaps the desired sound is superimposed with some other type of choir-pad on low notes.

But I can't be sure because I havn't SY85/TG500