Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Like Reverb

You can buy with PayPal, but if you sell, you MUST provide your bank account number and routing info and use the Reverb Payment system. They will not pay you with PayPal.

Same with eBay.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought they had a maximum fee or something???

I'm not sure if the 1.5% (shipping insurance) tacked on to an item that sells for $1,500 or more is a new fee. :cool:

I hated that when I saw it recently...so I used my UPS account to ship it instead. Problem solved.

dB

I should have done the same thing. The Reverb shipping price is usually lower than UPS so I didn't even consider it. :mad::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've only had one experience with reverb so far, and it was extremely negative. It was while I was working in Durham NC. A local seller had an instrument I wanted, but Reverb's rules meant I couldn't pick it up in person. Understandably, it's related to their verification process. I'd write more, but the forum is freezing up all day so I can't see what I'm typing.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

IDK Mark, I contacted a seller who happened to live right across the river in the next city before I bought an item, and they changed their listing to local pickup. I bought it and picked it up locally (Emu PROformance Plus). All I had to do extra was mark that I received the item in my Reverb account.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

That's what I thought, but the seller told me it is an across-the-board non-negotiable policy, and a new one at that (as of last November or so).

Needless to say, I didn't do the buy, as the advantage of dealing locally was removed from the equation and his price otherwise was high.

I've been afraid to do anything on Reverb as it's still an unknown for me, in terms of safety as a buyer, and becoming a seller is quite hard.

As it is, I'm having good luck on the bay lately, but their fees, as well as PP's, have gone way up (I consider it bad form to name the entities).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

"I've been afraid to do anything on Reverb as it's still an unknown for me, in terms of safety as a buyer, and becoming a seller is quite hard."

How is becoming a seller hard? I signed up and listed stuff immediately, and everything I've listed has sold quickly without any issues. If eBay works, that's great â keep using it; but reverb has been very simple and successful for me.

My only beef with Reverb as a buyer is that I can't use filters.

IE with ebay I can use "arp -behringer -korg" when I want to see the vintage ARP stuff and not the reissues (and pages of store listings). To my knowledge, Reverb doesn't have that.

I've sold very few items on Reverb but all the sales have been quick, clean, and satisfying. I'm still working out how to not get completely screwed on shipping costs, though.

Ebay... I've been burned so often that I finally gave up.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I bought from Reverb a number of times when CME owned them, in fact one time wanting to buy a used guitar from CME they said they can't discount, but it's listed on Reverb and we can accept bids from Reverb. That was cool. Back in my computer days I bought some stuff off eBay, only bought music gear once maybe twice so it was okay no problems, but I liked the Reverb experience a lot more especially since it all music gear.

Makes me optimistic reading all of the good experiences with Reverb. I have not used them but have used Ebay. I have read that Reverb tends to look out for the seller more than Ebay does in that Ebay tends to favor the buyer more frequently than not. I have been reluctant to use either and have been worried about SCAMMERS.

....on the bay lately, but their fees, as well as PP's, have gone way up (I consider it bad form to name the entities)....

Misguided :crazy:

....on the bay lately, but their fees, as well as PP's, have gone way up (I consider it bad form to name the entities)....

Misguided :crazy:

Not completely. Maybe he's thinking of this forum policy though since "the bay" doesn't have sales guys it really shouldn't matter.

Discussing specific pricing/talking about specific retailers

We request that members not post about any specific retailer in regards to pricing of gear/great deals they got, etc.

Here's why: in the early days of the forum, music store sales guys would come on here trolling for sales...some of them would even stoop so low as to pretend to be just another end user who just wanted to share the news about this cool store they bought their gear at, or some wonderful salesguy that they thought all of us should know about... rolleyes

Consequently, we try and keep info about specific pricing/retailers off the boards.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

.....Maybe he's thinking of this forum policy though since "the bay" doesn't have sales guys it really shouldn't matter........We request that members not post about any specific retailer in regards to pricing of gear/great deals they got.....

"Bad form" is not saying "against forum policy/rules" it is a perception of what is socially unacceptable.

Many people do not want to say "Ebay" on forums for instance because they treat it like it's taboo as in blasphemy. Here in the context of this thread there is no difference between PP and PayPal unless saying the actual name you will be stricken by lightening or something.

Happy as both buyer and seller. Have shipped, have picked up. Vastly better than eBay in my experience.

My experience also, even with the rising costs. I sell everything "As Is", use Reverb's shipping and buy Reverb's insurance. As soon as I print the label, the money becomes available to me. I then transfer it to my bank account and have the money the next business day.

Might cost me a few extra dollars, but the sale is completely finished. No customer returns, and any problems with shipping damage are dealt with by Reverb, not me.

:nopity:

I always ship separately, I have a FedEx account. With regard to PayPal, their payment system does hold on to money, but as you develop a good reputation with Reverb they shorten the hold, if I remember correctly.

as you develop a good reputation with Reverb they shorten the hold, if I remember correctly.

This very well could be true. I am listed as a "Preferred Seller, Quick Responder, and Quick Shipper".

One has to write an essay on why one should become a "Preferred Seller", then one gets approved or not by Reverb staff.

This is probably the key to quick payment.

:nopity:

That's what I thought, but the seller told me it is an across-the-board non-negotiable policy, and a new one at that (as of last November or so).

I bought my PROformance a month ago or so, so that's not the case. HOWEVER, it might be that Reverb will not allow someone to do local pickup *after* buying an item that was listed with shipping. For me the seller changed the listing to local pickup only before I purchased it, and it worked great. That might be the difference.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Also Reverb isn't as well known, even now when I mention it to some musicians they havent heard of it.

CME the company that started Reverb was mainly a guitar store so Reverb leaned more to guitars and related equipment. CME sold Reverb a couple years ago and they seem to all more of all varieties of instruments. My guess they are still new to non-guitar types.

I like reverb for the feel. Especially on guitars. I have to limit its use live. Too much makes a big mess. Dry has more balls. Except pedal steel. I use liberal amounts of verb and some delay on steel. It helps steel be the organ/pad machine in a Country band.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt