Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rig rundown video

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rock on! I love it! Thanks so much for taking some time to do the video overview. I like your stand updates, in particular the cross brace looks very helpful for tying the whole room, I mean rig together.

I'm a little curious about the Radial DI box and if you've considered replacing that with a KL-8 or Key Largo? I have the stereo JDI and was using a separate mixer in front of it (Ashly 308-B). I found that I could replace the mixer and the DI with a single Key Largo for my current rig and would go with a KL-8 if I needed more channels. That simplified the number of units and connections in my rig.

Anyways, I know you obsess over all of these details and everything is there for a reason. Also a little curious about the venting on the rack...is the extra weight of the vent panel on the back worth it, or would it just vent naturally without that panel? It looks cool and cleans up the back of the rack for sure, though seems mostly aesthetic unless I missed something and there are actually fans in there? Which would be helpful if you were running hot power amps, though most of your gear probably doesn't give off too much heat.

Best of luck with your upcoming gig! I can't wait to do some gigs maybe later this spring or summer. I'll try to do a video rundown like this for my rig as well.

Cheers and ROCK ON!

Eric

Love it! Do you bring an electric or gas leaf blower?

Just kidding... I used to have rodents die in various components when I'd keep the rig stored in a truck in the midwest. :):)

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Nice! Thanks for putting this together...it's always great to see this stuff.

If I had one complaint, I'd have preferred to have seen everything powered on with some examples of some of the sounds you're using. :)

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Nice! Thanks for putting this together...it's always great to see this stuff.

If I had one complaint, I'd have preferred to have seen everything powered on with some examples of some of the sounds you're using. :)

Yeah, one of these days I will do that. :) I don't have an outboard amplification, so I need to record on my DAW and then sync it up with video

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Thanks everyone!

Here's a few up close pics of the rack

overall front

Eemk4d.jpg

Left side of panel showing the audio inputs and left Main output

be6FjP.jpg

Right side of panel. Unlabeled 1/4" input is the TRS jack that goes to the in-ear wireless. Then the USB inputs, a MIDI DIN input

HDMI jack for a monitor at home for doing setup work, and a panel mounted BNC jack for the wireless ear antenna

LZwH2n.jpg

Back showing vented and hinged panel and the Neutrik PowerCon connector that gets power into the rack. Missing is the 1U vented blanking panel at the top.

PDfb8J.jpg

Answers to some of the questions raised here coming next

David

..... in particular the cross brace looks very helpful for tying the whole room, I mean rig together.

Sometimes when moving the stand around, if a wheel got caught, no matter how tight the clamp was, the upright could turn and I didn't like that. Adding that lower cross member solved that.

All I have to do is loosn the two clamps, and the rest folds in on itself as it always has for transport.

I'm a little curious about the Radial DI box and if you've considered replacing that with a KL-8 or Key Largo? I have the stereo JDI and was using a separate mixer in front of it (Ashly 308-B). I found that I could replace the mixer and the DI with a single Key Largo for my current rig and would go with a KL-8 if I needed more channels. That simplified the number of units and connections in my rig.

The Focusrite 18i20 Gen 3 can also be a stand alone mixer, in addition to audio interface. The routing possibilities are endless. My Radial PRO-D2 is used when I don't bring the rack. I run YC61 output into the MODX8 input, then the MODX8 output to the Radial DI

Also a little curious about the venting on the rack...is the extra weight of the vent panel on the back worth it, or would it just vent naturally without that panel? It looks cool and cleans up the back of the rack for sure, though seems mostly aesthetic unless I missed something and there are actually fans in there? Which would be helpful if you were running hot power amps, though most of your gear probably doesn't give off too much heat.

The hinged panel is mostly aesthetic, and it doesn't add much weight at all. It's very thin. I like a clean look, and I also like it for keeping hands and other things out of the rack. Keep in mind the Gator molded rack is light compared to a typical ATA style case.

Best of luck with your upcoming gig! I can't wait to do some gigs maybe later this spring or summer. I'll try to do a video rundown like this for my rig as well.

Cheers and ROCK ON!

Eric

Thanks brother!!

David

:thu: and I feel lucky that I've seen you guys play a few times!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI