Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I just got the vaccine. Ask me anything.

Can't tell you guys how much I love this thread!

My wife Sarah is a principal scientist with Pfizer, she's been working insane hours on the vaccine rollout for that past nine months or so. Her area of expertise is how to get something out of a pristine lab environment and into something that can be deployed reliably in the field.

I got my first poke on Monday, was absolutely surreal to have her sitting in the car with me at the drive-up clinic. (Just in case I needed anything else to make "keyboard programmer" sound frivolous! :P )

I saw a few comments here about the speed of development... One thing that really helped in this case, and it was just luck, was that Biontech already had a vaccine in the pipeline for a similar coronavirus. It was still a sh*t-ton of work, but not as massive an undertaking as having to start from square one.

I always show Sarah posts and threads like this, and it always makes her day and helps keep her going!

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the Pfizer vaccine, and like many others, arm soreness was my chief complaint after the first dose. The day after my second dose, I again experienced arm pain, although perhaps not as much as after the first injection. I also felt sleepy all day at work, like I could just lie down and take a nap. Later that evening, around 7:00-8:00, I developed a low-grade fever accompanied by mild-moderate chills. I took two Ibuprofen, went to bed, and woke up the next morning feeling just fine.

My wife had the Moderna vaccine and after her second dose she experienced severe arm soreness accompanied by a large red spot all around the injection site. She"s pretty tough (tougher than me, lol) but could barely sleep that night due to the discomfort. If she drifted off and even slightly rolled over onto her arm the pain would wake her. I"ve read this has been dubbed 'COVID Arm.' She also experienced fatigue and a low-grade fever for a day or two. The arm pain persisted for the next few days (she could barely raise her arm to shampoo her hair) but gradually diminished.

I"ve heard that after this first round of vaccinations everyone may need a booster (i.e., third) dose in a few months to protect against the variants that have been popping up. Just heard there"s a new 'double mutated' variant out of India, which reportedly can escape our immune system. My goshâ¦

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I"ve heard that after this first round of vaccinations everyone may need a booster (i.e., third) dose in a few months to protect against the variants that have been popping up. Just heard there"s a new 'double mutated' variant out of India, which reportedly can escape our immune system. My goshâ¦

I'm wondering if this is going to an annual thing for awhile or it will get rolled in the annual flu shots? I thought I read somewhere the effective window for the vaccine is seven months. That's why I think this called to play for an encore.

My wife Sarah is a principal scientist with Pfizer, she's been working insane hours on the vaccine rollout for that past nine months or so. Her area of expertise is how to get something out of a pristine lab environment and into something that can be deployed reliably in the field.

I got my first poke on Monday, was absolutely surreal to have her sitting in the car with me at the drive-up clinic. (Just in case I needed anything else to make "keyboard programmer" sound frivolous! :P )

I saw a few comments here about the speed of development... One thing that really helped in this case, and it was just luck, was that Biontech already had a vaccine in the pipeline for a similar coronavirus. It was still a sh*t-ton of work, but not as massive an undertaking as having to start from square one.

I always show Sarah posts and threads like this, and it always makes her day and helps keep her going!

Cool post. Here in Canada our roll-out was stalled early because of supply. International vaccine manufacturers left our country many years ago, leaving us relying instead on outsourced supply (EU, India, USA). However, the contracts for millions of doses were signed last summer. Now, we're on track to have targets surpassed earlier than planned, with the Pfizer, Moderna & AZ arriving daily and J&J on the horizon.

I'll probably have my vaccine by late April, but still have no plans to gig until COVID is a thing of the past, because the work depends on a tourist economy. Vaccines are in a race against time with variants, and a great many countries have yet to access vaccines at all. From what I've read, Germany has entered the throes of a Third Wave. Brazil is horrific. I would urge some of you folks who plan on relaxing your vigilance just because you got poked, to be as mindful as you have been. Am I being alarmist? It's a big world.

Here for the gear.

Heading in for my 2nd Moderna shot this coming Monday, March 29th. Will report in afterwards on that one.

Same soreness in arm from first shot that others are reporting, no other noticeable after-effects? My wife got the J&J 1-shot dose just over 10 days ago, and had no ill effects from it.

No intention of carrying on as if this is some kind of "Get Out Of Quarantine, Free" card. Still wearing my masks & disposable gloves, washing my hands, and my clothes, which are wearing out from constant cycling through the washer and dryer, and avoiding crowded spaces, indoors or outdoors. If I see more than a handful of cars outside my neighborhood grocery store first thing in the morning, I turn around and drive home. Haven't had a haircut in more than a year.

I'll have to make some concession for live Music at some point, but IDK if I'll ever set foot in a restaurant or movie theater ever again. Just not that important to me . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I had the first Pfizer 27 Jan, the second 17 Feb. My regular health provider. Got a call saying they had a "few" shots available about 2:30pm, wanted to know if I could be there at 3. My wife got her first (Pfizer) 24 Feb, and the second yesterday, hers were at Walgreens. My brother got his first 17 Mar (Pfizer). No real pain nor annoyances on either, although slight arm soreness that night/next morning.

After all this time with very limited supply, NC now is open to all 16+ years old, and the supply has considerably increased. Pfizer and Moderna were available at first, J&J was just added.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Had my first Pfizer shot a week ago yesterday, St. Paddy's Day. I was advised to slug a lot of water, which I did. Absolutely no side-effects. Even poking around my arm it was hard to find the injection site. It was slightly tender there, otherwise I wouldn't even notice without poking around looking for it. Getting my second on the 7th, and I've scheduled a couple down days afternoon just in case that one gets a reaction.

I'm so thankful for all the nurses, doctors, scientists, volunteers, and others who made all of this possible in such a short period of time.

...I always show Sarah posts and threads like this, and it always makes her day and helps keep her going!

On behalf of my wife and everyone else on the front lines, please extend our heartfelt thanks. The historic significance of Sarah's contribution can't be overstated.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

...and bad taste in our mouths.

I forgot about that one, sort of a metallic taste. It was an intermittent thing, and didn't last long.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I got the Moderna shot. 1st shot, arm a little sore, that"s all. 2nd shot, sick for two days with 101.5F fever, chills, aches, etc. Then 48 hours later, fine. That was two weeks ago and I"m grateful to feel reasonably (hopefully) safe from this pandemic that"s affected us all. Especially since I"m considered high risk due to other health issues. Hope everyone who agrees to get vaccinated, ultimately can and will do so, and the sooner the better for all of us. I know we"re all looking forward to some semblance of normalcy!
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Pfizer here, had both of them over a month ago because I am over 60 and work in public schools -- we were in the second group, right after front-line health care workers. I felt neither shot at the time, but had soreness in my first-shot arm the next day, and had soreness on the opposite side of my body a day after the second shot. That and great lethargy for a day.

I'm one of those Horrible People who never actually gave a rat's patootie about masks or isolation even before the shot. I only wore / wear masks to be polite when folks are scared, or when folks require it for admittance.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I'm still the only person I know that can say that I don't know whether I've been vaccinated or not. :idk:

I'm in JnJ's trial for the efficacy of two shots of their vaccine. I got my second shot last week, and I got an email from them this morning saying they will be contacting those who got the placebo to give them the single shot. I think I'll know next week. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm still the only person I know that can say that I don't know whether I've been vaccinated or not. :idk:

I'm in JnJ's trial for the efficacy of two shots of their vaccine. I got my second shot last week, and I got an email from them this morning saying they will be contacting those who got the placebo to give them the single shot. I think I'll know next week. :thu:

That's awesome. Good luck either way.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Very commendable Joe.

Is it a three-way test? Two shots vs one shot vs none?

Cheers, Mike.

Here's a thought, don't take their call next week, revel in the mystery, and hit the road as a keyboard player with the moniker Placebo Joe.

I should get paid for this stuff. . . .

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

First dose of Moderna done, as of 2pm yesterday. Some mild arm soreness last night into today, but it's fading; mild, intermittent headache.

2nd shot scheduled for first week of May. If my reaction is similar to several others in my circle (which matches, so far), the 2nd shot will yield an increase in the soreness/headache, plus some fatigue and chills - yet with a ravenous appetite.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Here's a thought, don't take their call next week, revel in the mystery, and hit the road as a keyboard player with the moniker Placebo Joe.

If people know he's the Placebo Joe, he'll never work.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

If people know he's the Placebo Joe, he'll never work.

Right. People have to believe he's the Real Deal in order for him to work.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Very commendable Joe.

Is it a three-way test? Two shots vs one shot vs none?

No, for whatever reason Ensemble 2 is testing two shots of vaccine vs. two shots of placebo. I guess they figure they've covered one shot with the first test (Ensemble). :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Pfizer. First one a week later pretty tired 2 days out of nowhere. Second one couple days ago couldn't sleep at all that night and had flu symtoms. Body aches, headache...could barely make it to the kitchen for a glass of water. I read blood type can effect your reaction. I'm type A which is said to tend to have bad reaction. Felt like worst flu symptoms I ever had. But in morning 9 hrs after, I started to come out of it slowly. Needed aspirin for headache. Day after all seems good. May go for a run which yesterday was unthinkable.

I'm A positive. I've donated blood 4 times the past year, last one very recent. They test for antibodies and all came back negative. For what it's worth, I'll take the bad reaction to getting this virus anyday. It shouldn't stop anyone from getting the jab IMO.

I was tired for a day or two after the first Pfizer shot--but as a non-early-morning person who has to drive a high-schooler to school at the CRACK OF ****ING DAWN who can say. My default state is zombie...As it is for my kid and many others..... as I have too many decades of staying up later to wake up before 6am. And the pressure of knowing this keeps me from sleeping. . Early high school is changing some places but unfortunately not in my county.

He'll be driving in a couple years and if I survive, he can take my car as I hopefully won't need it daily (no intention of ever working in an office again, working from home has been the ONE positive from Covid.)

Sadly I think my mom, and my friend's mom, are likely to end up with Covid since they seem to oppose the vaccines for political reasons. Fricking sad, both have conditions that are not good for it and are in their mid 70s, but people have to make their own choices.

Pfizer. First one a week later pretty tired 2 days out of nowhere. Second one couple days ago couldn't sleep at all that night and had flu symtoms. Body aches, headache...could barely make it to the kitchen for a glass of water. I read blood type can effect your reaction. I'm type A which is said to tend to have bad reaction. Felt like worst flu symptoms I ever had. But in morning 9 hrs after, I started to come out of it slowly. Needed aspirin for headache. Day after all seems good. May go for a run which yesterday was unthinkable.

I think a reaction is more the natural immune system response, which will vary from person to person, rather than any particular blood type. Sometimes I have heard people say they will not get the flu shot because it made them sick (not saying you're saying this), when in all likelihood it was just their immune system "recalibrating itself".

From a CDC article on vaccines:

Vaccines help develop immunity by imitating an infection. This type of infection, however, almost never causes illness, but it does cause the immune system to produce T-lymphocytes and antibodies. Sometimes, after getting a vaccine, the imitation infection can cause minor symptoms, such as fever. Such minor symptoms are normal and should be expected as the body builds immunity.

How does it feel having all of that 5G flowing through your body?

Couldn't have been easier. The longest part of the process was the 15-minute wait afterward to make sure the 5G implanted correctly.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how to activate the damn thing ... ;)