Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Rd-88 vs FP-60X Keybed Questions

I'm looking to upgrade a Roland FP-30 that's helped get my piano chops back into shape after way too many years of not playing enough. A new FP-60X would have 10X more sounds than FP-30, with the same keyboard as I really like the ivory-like feel and the way it plays. A Roland RD-88 Stage Piano has 8 times as many sounds as the -60X, but I'm planning to add an MODX6 as the top board of my stack which can cover all other sounds needed -- with an easier action (synth) to play. I'm originally a Hammond player at heart and like having a "close to a real piano feel" for my bottom board; I believe the FP-30 was a great action to start out with 1.5 years ago.

I've seen numerous postings about Roland's RD-88 or Roland FP-30/-60 series on this forum, and I'm hoping someone can verify what I think I've found as major differences between those 2 boards (besides the # of sounds), which will affect the way they feel and play. Both the RD-88 and new -60X have Roland's PHA-4 keyboard, but it appears there are some key differences: (no pun intended)

* RD-88 has the "standard action" (with escapement), the case is 10" deep and it weighs 30 pounds

* FP-60X has the "progressive hammer action" (with escapement), the case is 13.5" deep and it weighs 43 pounds

On the active thread about maximum weight, Adan said:

As a rule, better actions correlate with more weight

I had a chance to test drive an RD-88 at the local GC yesterday, and it did feel "very different" and wasn't quite the same or as piano-like as my FP-30 is, and I'm thinking the extra weight and case depth of the -60X probably changes the length or pivot point of the keys versus the shorter action RD-88.

Has anybody played or owned both boards and can confirm the keys may be the same -- but the keybeds play differently?

To me, the keys of the RD just didn't play or respond as well... Thanks!

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

These things are VERY subjective to the action and sound you like. I love the PHA50 action in the Fantom 8 with V-Piano but neither the RD-88 nor FP-60X checked the boxes for me in the feel and sound as the Kawai and Yamaha competitive alternatives. This is a very personal decision for you, though!

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Thanks for the replies above.

It sure would be easier if you could place "any two keyboards" side-by-side to play and compare them, but that would be a whole lot of inventory...

But just THINK about what a great toy store that would be for us!!!

Anyway... Since my posting, I found more info that says Roland's "PHA-4" keybed stands for "Progressive Hammer Action" and a also video that says the RD-88 is scaled across the low to high keys -- so the RD-88 "should" have the same keys, keybed and feel as the FP-30 that I'm used to playing. I'm starting to think more about how I might use this board after I retire in a few years, with the boatload of added sounds, the keyboard split with dual upper sounds and the lower gigging weight. The user interface isn't a strong point as it requires a lot of clicking (and it's not great on the FP-30 either), but I'd plan to set up some favorites (scenes) for my song list anyhow.

I'll have to go spend more time with it to see if I can get used to the feel.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Thanks for the replies above.

It sure would be easier if you could place "any two keyboards" side-by-side to play and compare them, but that would be a whole lot of inventory...

But just THINK about what a great toy store that would be for us!!!

Old No7

Anyone here remember the old Lyon and Healy store that was in Chicago's loop? The piano floor (third floor IIRC) was a dream, with dozens of all kinds sitting side-by-side to try.

I have an FP10 with same action as the 60x I presume.

I have played the RD88 a number of times at my local Guitar Center.

I really like the FP10 action. Isn't it known as PHA 4? It feels solid.... Much more so than Yamaha in this price range.

I am waiting to try the FP 30x...60x etc. I haven't seen any but in the meantime I am LOVING the FP 10 ! What a bargain that Costco bundle last Thanksgiving was....stand seat headphones and one of the better piano samples I have ever heard

I am anxiously waiting the X series. Can they give us a decent Rhodes and wurli?

If not I will stay with the FP 10. I like this action...its not bouncy or any of that.

Yeah, very personal indeed. Never liked the RD2000 or Fantom 8 actions myself but loooove the RD88.

The RD88's action works well for me, too. Much as the Nord Stage 3, 76 is my workhouse (and typically my 'single keyboard gig' choice), the action can beat up my hands a bit on heavier rock pieces; really noticed that after a rehearsal last week. I hardly notice any hand fatigue with the RD-88, even after a few long gigs and rehearsals late last year. Like the action in my MODX 8 (and earlier S90XS) it's fairly quick, yet unlike those instruments it has a graded action.

Slightly OT, but if the RD88 somehow had organ presets with a solid variety of 9-drawbar simulations (even if only pre-programmable) I'd be tempted to give my hands a rest for awhile and let it take on the majority of playing. And the synth section is way-underrated. There's a lot to be had with three flexible zones of Z-Core and 3000+ Tones.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Just heard the Mirriam Music demo of the Fp30x and FP60x...

I am not in love with the Rhodes sound on these demos.

Was hoping the 30x might have a Rhodes I could use. Guess I will stick with FP 10 triggering a Yamaha MX 49 for now....

Thanks to all for the feedback above -- much appreciated.

Yeah, very personal indeed. Never liked the RD2000 or Fantom 8 actions myself but loooove the RD88.

Update!

I did get a new Roland RD-88 and am blown away by the increase in sounds (tones) versus the FP-30 that I'd had. I'm really glad I got this instead of the +13-pound heavier FP-60X. OK, I'll admit the RD's user interface requires a whole lot of clicking to get to the sounds I want (a round dial like on my MX61 would have been nice), but I'll plan to setup some "scenes" (user presets) in the custom bank of sounds which users can easily add to.

As for the keybed and the way it plays...... I'm liking it a lot!

Turns out...................

I found there's a big difference between when I set it up at home and I play seated (as I did with the FP-30) versus where they had it setup in the store -- at chest height. Having your forearms above the keyboard (while seated) changes the way the keybed feels versus when it's up at chest height and your arms are down below the keyboard. The feel is different, at least to me. It must have something to do with body mechanics or physics, but the keybed feels so much better at home than it did in the store.

Cheers.

Old No7

• Like 1