Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is your maximum weight for a gigging board?

I've never had a weight limit in the past; usually my concerns focused on whether the keyboard in its case would fit in whatever gear hauler I was driving at the time. These days my main board is a Yamaha S70XS (45 lb) that I tote in a Road Ready RRKB76W case (about 52 lb). The case is on wheels, which helps, and load-ins aren't too bad. But wrangling 97 lb at the end of a long night is getting old -- and so am I.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

I wouldn"t get a gigging keyboard that"s over 30 pounds these days, so the future is plastics. Same limit for powered speakers, unless I"m playing keyboard bass.

Kurzweil PC4, Expressive E Osmose, UNO Synth Pro, Hammond B-3X on iPad, Rhodes Mark II Stage 73, ART 710-A MK4s

A 50 lb keyboard feels pretty light if you're taking it to a $500 gig. The same keyboard carried to a Monday night rehearsal is godawful.

I finally found a solution to the Monday night rehearsal shlep: an iPad, a plugKEY, and any old keyboard that's lying around the studio.

Kurzweil PC4, Expressive E Osmose, UNO Synth Pro, Hammond B-3X on iPad, Rhodes Mark II Stage 73, ART 710-A MK4s

I don't really set a weight limit though I can occasionally gig with Keyboards that each weigh between 20 and 30 pounds. For almost thirty years I've been mainly gigging with a Gibson G101 which weighs about 65 lbs. I also carry a Fender Rhodes Piano Bass which weighs around 50 lbs. Since there is no modern equivalent I have no other choice except for a Vox Continental which weighs less but requires carrying a separate case containing the stand. Up until the early 80s I carried a Hammond C-3, two Leslies, Wurlitzer 200A, and some guitar equipment.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Light is good, though I'd prefer light to also be well-made and have an internal power supply....Nord has that down, I'll give them that. My Modx7 is a great synth and very light but it feels like a fisher price toy, and i HATE wall warts.

I have more issue with "cumbersome" than I do "heavy"....our stages can be very small and the smaller and easier I can wend my way through patrons the better.

main reason to switch to Nord Stage 3 compact and Nord Wave 2.

Used to carry too heavy flight cases and racks.

This is the same rig I have, all metal, internal power supply, built like a tank, 20 pounds each-

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Around 50 lbs would be the most I'd care to schlep now; closer to 40, even better. What's bugged me more over the past decade has been moving bulky and ackward 88s, specifically an original Kronos 88 (slick sides, like an eel), then a Montage 8. If the Montage 8 had been a more streamlined, compact instrument I might've been willing to move it (w/ a wheeled case and stairs assistance, when needed). Bulky, overwide keys are a pain on small - midsized club stages; had a guitarist once almost knock the Kronos off the stand, and the Montage 8's width seemed to go on and on..

Sometimes wish I'd sprung for a Nord Stage 3, 88 instead of the 76. I use it as my bottom-tier keyboard, and cover piano with it a lot. The 88 is built intelligently: wheel and pitch stick up top, the build and interface fairly compact. And it weighs just under 42 lbs.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I also have the Stage 3 Compact + Wave 2 and love that combination so far in the gig rig. Weighted 88 piano is still something I need to take care of quickly, even if it's just a one trick pony digital piano only.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Weighted 88 piano is still something I need to take care of quickly, even if it's just a one trick pony digital piano only.

Brotha Jeff, check out the Kawai ES110 and ES920 digital pianos. At 26.5 and 37.5 lbs respectively, not bad for a light-weight slab. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

In the 1980's: Prophet 600 in road case, Gibson RD Artist Bass, Stand for Prophet, Fender Bassman 135 cab, Fender 2x15 Cabinet (with JBL's), seat. Also (with help) put the pianist's Rhodes 88 in the back of the truck, and an amp for it.

Bit over a decade ago: (for piano recitals) Kurzweil PC3X in road case, 1 or 2 JBL EON15G2, stand, seat. For other things: Kurzweil PC3 and PC361 (or Hammond SK1-73), all in road cases, 2 QSC K10 speakers, OnStage 2-tier Z-stand, seat, music stand.

Now: the rig: Samson Carbon 61 MIDI controller, K&M 18880 aluminum stand, iPad for sound generation, iPad for sheets, 1 K10 cabinet, Only when I really need the 61 keys, Lightweight rig: same as above with IK Keys37Pro, iPad in that case. If not much amplification needed sub a Roland CM-20 amp. If venue has decent FOH sound capability, no amp at all.

Semi-permanent rig at church: PC2, PC3, OnStage Z-stand, small Tascam Mixer, pair of JBL EON15G2, seat, sheets on iPad on mic boom on Z-stand. Sometimes iPhone or iPad with additional sounds. Have to tear down very occasionally (usually over a year). The PC361 and Hammond occasionally setup in the shop over the PC3X that stays there, into a pair of EV SXA-100+ cabs.

Still have a Trace Elliot 100w power FET amp, 2x10 with horn cab, and 1x15 cab. They are in the shop. Still have the RockNRoller cart, but no longer a van to easily put it in with gear.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I just ordered a 40 pounder (Forte SE) to replace a 32.4 pounder (Arturia) so we'll see. The Arturia was no problem carrying, even up and down stairs.

The case or bag is part of the schelp factor as well. I always try to find Gator Pro-Go bags for my stuff if available.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Same as above: used to take a 65 lb Farfisa drawbar organ and a 100 lb Leslie 860 everywhere. In high school I could last longer than the guy on the wrestling team when it was time to lug a Leslie 147 across a football field. Nowadays, I tolerate the 30 pound weight of my PC361, and love the 25 lbs of my Casio PX5S (Huh. It feels much lighter than the PC361...). I'm looking forward to going even lighter, e.g., PC4-7, one o' these days.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Agree, Prof D. I love the 38 pound Kawai ES920 and I will probably order one soon. There is also a 32 pound ES520 that lacks the triple sensor and escapement of the RHIII action but still a level up from the ES110. It has a couple fewer secondary piano and other sounds, and the EQ is a menu dive instead of on the surface control. Other than that, it's the same as the ES920 minus 6 pounds and $400 as an intermediate model.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Depends. What does the gig pay?

Funny. And probably true.

For the past 5 years I've mostly used FA-06 and VR-09.

Each are under 13 pounds, maybe a few more pounds for padded bag.

I still get my son to carry them for me when he's with me. :laugh:

I have an Electro 6 HP, which is okay at 25 pounds.

But added weight is a factor. It generally only goes if the set list calls for a better piano.

Lighter FA and VR pianos are okay in a band mix. I prefer VR organ over Electro.

My favorite organ, my VK-8, feels heavy at 32 pounds. VR-09 usually prevails.

So usually my limit is 25-30 pounds. The weight limit can be more flexible for special occasions.

My Jupiter-8 goes with me every now and then, weighing in at 49 pounds.

The 130 pound Rhodes barely ever leaves the house. Only once in the past 15-20 years. Only with a helper.

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

Agree, Prof D. I love the 38 pound Kawai ES920 and I will probably order one soon. There is also a 32 pound ES520 that lacks the triple sensor and escapement of the RHIII action but still a level up from the ES110. It has a couple fewer secondary piano and other sounds, and the EQ is a menu dive instead of on the surface control. Other than that, it's the same as the ES920 minus 6 pounds and $400 as an intermediate model.

The ES520 does have a triple sensor action.

I"ve been schlepping a Kronos 88 (53 lbs.) and a Jupiter-80 (39 lbs.) for the past ten years. Wheeled Gator cases help a lot but definitely observing that weight tolerance for rig is inversely related to age.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Scientists from all over the globe did studies and have found there is a mathematical equation for the average upper tolerance of keyboard weight:

120 lbs - (your age x 1.5)

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

Scientists from all over the globe did studies and have found there is a mathematical equation for the average upper tolerance of keyboard weight:

120 lbs - (your age x 1.5)

I mean...91.5, decently close (including the case).

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

You're correct, Kurt. The ES520 has the Kawai Responsive Hammer Action II keybed. So it's triple sensor, but doesn't have the counterweights and let off simulation of the ES920. The sonic difference AFAIK in the main SK samples is that the ES920 uses larger sample sets called Harmonic Imaging XL - so longer attack samples, more expression, larger sample sizes. I think the ES520 uses the piano sound engine from the MP6/ES7 era. A few years old. Maybe your ears can tell or maybe they can't. I don't know if the typical playing through the onboard Onkyo speakers or through a small PA system will necessarily expose the critical differences in the sound engines, to be honest. I do like that the ES920 has 4 band EQ control slider set right on the playing surface instead of in a menu dive.

Like many people here who gig, onboard accompaniment rhythms or being able to record a performance to USB stick as a WAV aren't really that important to me personally as I have a pretty loaded DAW and plug in tools on a recent model laptop for these kinds of uses.

Cheers to Kawai, though. I have never put Kawai on a finalist list before in a world where I am the target buyer for the Big 3, Nord and Kurzweil every day. They have a very competitive lineup of products right now and in a forum of users like me who care about action, sound, weight and price they make a nice offer. I don't think of them right now in the do-it-all gig slabs, but they understand the piano player quite well.

There was a short period of time when my son wanted to make a few extra bucks and would roadie for me. Best gigs ever when I threw him $20 to set my rig up, and tear them down. I'd sit at the bar and have a beer while he worked. Then he grew up a bit, and wasn't so interested.

Back to the OP topic: there's no need to be over 40 lbs for a decent weighted 88 action. Sure, there are heavier actions that might play better, but of course we're talking low-paying gigs here. Besides, there's a thousand-pound grand piano sitting in my living room if needed.

The biggest surprise for me was how much having the right case helped. The Nord 88 soft case is pricey, sure, but I think it's worth every penny. In addition to wheels, it has a handle strategically placed at the midpoint for wheeling the keyboard vertically, like golf clubs. So near-zero weight unless it's getting it on/off the truck, and on/off the rack. I use a sort of judo hip throw to load it into the truck. LIfting on the rack requires a thoughtful moment of prep prior and dry hands.

I had Yamaha CP5 previously that threw out my back twice. It had to go. No problems since then.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

A good understanding of body mechanics is helpful in one's "later years", lol. When I think back to my younger days of hauling â by myself â a Yam CP70, rhodes, OBXa in a hard shell case, etc. I can't imagine how I did it.

My main boards for the past 15 years have been the Edirol PCR-M80 (8 lbs / 3.7 kg) and the Roland A800 Pro (10 lbs. / 4.5 kg). Also, the times I've used more than a single keyboard on a gig could be counted on Django Reinhardt's fretting hand with a few fingers to spare. My shlep allowance is taken up mostly by two QSC K8s â and even those are starting to feel heavy in my advancing years.

It would take a lot for me to consider using a keyboard heavier than what I'm used to now.

1979 - 1985 Yamaha CP-80 600 lbs (both pieces in flight cases)

1985 - 1988 Roland MKB-1000 w/ MKS-20. 230 lbs (in flight cases)

1988 - 1992 Yamaha KX-88 w/ MKS-20. 185 lbs (in flight cases)

1992 - 2000 Yamaha Clavinovia PF-100 135 lbs (in flight case)

2000 - 2019 Yamaha S80. 85 lbs ( in soft shell gig bag)

2019 - current. Yamaha P125. 50 lbs (in soft shell gig bag).

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

1979 - 1985 Yamaha CP-80 600 lbs (both pieces in flight cases)

1985 - 1988 Roland MKB-1000 w/ MKS-20. 230 lbs (in flight cases)

1988 - 1992 Yamaha KX-88 w/ MKS-20. 185 lbs (in flight cases)

1992 - 2000 Yamaha Clavinovia PF-100 135 lbs (in flight case)

2000 - 2019 Yamaha S80. 85 lbs ( in soft shell gig bag)

2019 - current. Yamaha P125. 50 lbs (in soft shell gig bag).

I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

Honestly, since I got my Yamaha P-121 the only thing I can think about is what an idiot I've been at hauling around 40+ lbs 88-keys for decades.

Now I'm deciding what to do with my Stage 2 HA88: I love it and it's the best and most useful keyboard I've ever had, and it still gets a lot of use on my cover bands, but for piano-only gigs I now use the P-121. In the studio I mostly play the Stage2 sounds from my Kawai console with a much better action. So, I'm strongly inclined to substitute the HA88 with a Compact, saving half the weight and a few inches of space.

So my rig would be:

- piano only: P-121

- mixed cover band stuff: Stage 2 Compact (I can live with playing piano on the waterfall keybed, if it's only for putting down a few chords in a thick mix)

- studio: Nord pianos played from the Kawai

- high-paying, special gigs: P-121 + Stage Compact.

Looks like the best of both worlds...and the best for my back.

• 2 years later...