Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chick Corea Elektric Band gone from itunes

Can anyone find any Elektric Band or Akoustic Band studio recordings other than To The Stars on iTunes or Apple Music?

They seem to have disappeared unless I'm mistaken.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Can anyone find any Elektric Band or Akoustic Band studio recordings other than To The Stars on iTunes or Apple Music?

They seem to have disappeared unless I'm mistaken.

Earlier I was looking for the same on Spotify and Amazon Music with no luck.

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

I just checked Amazon Music (streaming service) and gone there too. Chick Corea had quite a business group behind him selling his albums and other things on his website. His stuff always seemed priced on the high side to me, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are pulling things to repackage and re-release later.

I think GRP overall is missing from Spotify too. The Elektric Band is a notable omission, because some are there (Weckl"s stuff, Brecker"s album etc.)

Corea"s output for Stretch, Concord, Blue Note is there, though, so it doesn"t seem like a business decision by them.

• 2 years later...

Much if not all of this is now back on Apple Music and Spotify. I have been periodically checking and this is the first I’ve seen much of the library up. Chick’s catalog is huge so I can’t offer complete assurance that the album you seek is there. All of Elektrik Band appeared to be present along with Brecker and Weckl’s works that were absent. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

I have imported my own rips of the Chick Corea Elektric Band in Apple Music, so I've been using that for a long time. In case you don't know: you can import some music in your Apple Music Library on, say, a desktop computer and then those files will also be available for streaming on all your devices. You can even delete the original files from the source library (through the app by choosing an option to remove the local downloads) and the cloud upload would still be available on all your devices without even counting towards your iCloud usage. It's a super useful function IMO. This discussion is about iTunes which I believe is the store where you purchase music and not stream it but I think the cloud stuff works in both places.

@Matthiola that's great, thanks, just started watching it. That's my favorite lineup (the one from their first album) with Scott Henderson and without Eric Marienthal. Don't get me wrong, I love Gambale and Marienthal too but there's just something pure about that first album and lineup, it's fusion at its peak to me.

23 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I have imported my own rips of the Chick Corea Elektric Band in Apple Music...

Right. 

It would not cost a lot to grab those CDs from a local Goodwill or Salvation Army or pawn shop and rip them. 

Recycle the coasters, er, CDs when done.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 10/30/2023 at 3:06 PM, CyberGene said:

@Matthiola that's great, thanks, just started watching it. That's my favorite lineup (the one from their first album) with Scott Henderson and without Eric Marienthal. Don't get me wrong, I love Gambale and Marienthal too but there's just something pure about that first album and lineup, it's fusion at its peak to me.

I got to see them in 85 as a trio prior to Henderson and that was a real treat with so much sonic space.   They have a DVD of that performance (not a very good transfer from the broadcast videotape but it's out there).  One of Scott’s complaints during his short tenure is that Chick didn’t allow him to play much in the way of chords as a rhythm instrument.   You can kind of see why as Chick had what he had in mind covered.   Scott was a much better fit with Zawinul, who gave him a lot of  free reign.

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Yeah, I love what Scott Henderson does here.  In those days I compared everything to Holdsworth and Henderson's tone and lines were something akin.  I'm not sure if I heard the record before seeing them on that first tour, whatever the case, blown away seeing them live.  I did see the Gambale incarnation also, I believe Holdsworth was opening up for Chick so it was double good for me. Frank G is so very awesome but I always dug the vibe from that first touring quartet with Henderson.

Wow, that bass tone from Patitucci on the 6 string, just heaven, and the playing ain't so shabby either.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

On 10/30/2023 at 1:34 PM, Matthiola said:

Also check: 

This is a great exhibition of Scott's virtuosity coming in to play as a soloist and acompany Chick's lines.   

As a piece of trivia, Scott had on his Timex digital watch so that he would be on time to meet up with ladies after the show.  

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, zephonic said:

I've been looking for a transcription of King Cockroach. Found something on MuseScore but it was only the first 20 bars or so.

Anybody know or seen anything?

They did release a songbook for the first self-titled Elektric Band album, which has it. And I’m not a 100% sure, but there is also a red-covered book called The Jazz Solos of Chick Corea, which might have the solo. Such a gorgeous tune, and surprisingly tricky actually! 

-

I actually bought all the albums on brand new CDs when he passed (still can’t believe it…), because I never had official copies and they weren’t on Spotify.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

Fantastic thanks! I'd heard of him but wasn't familiar with his playing. Great solo on Humpty Dumpty!

Love that Minute Waltz quote thing thrown in there starting at 0:47.   

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 1/4/2024 at 1:32 PM, Matthiola said:

Stumbled upon this. Never heard of Daniel Szabo, but apparently Chick was his mentor. Really awesome playing.

Off-topic, but I'm struck by how much John Patitucci is starting to resemble Al Bundy. Always great to hear him and Weckl. I'm not familiar with the pianist. 

• Haha 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

1 hour ago, Synthaholic said:
On 1/4/2024 at 12:32 PM, Matthiola said:

Stumbled upon this. Never heard of Daniel Szabo, but apparently Chick was his mentor. Really awesome playing.

Off-topic, but I'm struck by how much John Patitucci is starting to resemble Al Bundy. Always great to hear him and Weckl. I'm not familiar with the pianist. 

I also noticed that Weckl has kept a phone line open to the 80’s for his hair.   :) 

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 1/4/2024 at 11:37 AM, zephonic said:

I've been looking for a transcription of King Cockroach. Found something on MuseScore but it was only the first 20 bars or so.

Anybody know or seen anything?

I have the whole thing baby. Bought that book from --- Dave Ferris I think!? Or maybe Dave loaned me his for awhile, then I gave it back, then I bought it elsewhere. Or did I loan it to Dave for awhile? I don't remember. Either way that book has the whole first Elektrik band album and it's GREAT. Send me a PM on FB or e-mail Menno.

This clip of KC - which is my fave Elektrik Band tune - is great. I am a little shocked to hear how much Pattituci is playing on top. Or am I crazy? The groove is less settled than I remember it being, but it could be that I am just becoming more aware of what different time feels like as I get older and wiser. I too love the Scott Henderson incarnation best.

• Like 1

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

On 1/5/2024 at 5:47 PM, jazzpiano88 said:
On 1/4/2024 at 9:05 PM, Dave Ferris said:

Fantastic thanks! I'd heard of him but wasn't familiar with his playing. Great solo on Humpty Dumpty!

Love that Minute Waltz quote thing thrown in there starting at 0:47.   

I caught Henderson playing the same line minus the final flourish in the original Elekric Band clip above at 30:48 in “Got a Match”.  

What a monster. 

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 1/6/2024 at 10:24 PM, Bobadohshe said:

I have the whole thing baby. Bought that book from --- Dave Ferris I think!? Or maybe Dave loaned me his for awhile, then I gave it back, then I bought it elsewhere. Or did I loan it to Dave for awhile? I don't remember. Either way that book has the whole first Elektrik band album and it's GREAT. Send me a PM on FB or e-mail Menno.

Bro, that’s great! I’ll hit you up just now.