Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Needed accessories to using iPad as Module?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure one of the top posters such as AnotherScott will come along shortly to provide an answer of superior depth and clarity to mine but, in the meantime...

You have got:

- a controller/keyboard/stage piano

- the iPad

- the apps

You need:

1. a means of connecting the iPad to your controller

2. a means of outputting the audio

3. a means of controlling the range of apps with a master app (optional)

I combine 1&2 with a Korg plugkey. It connects standard midi 5 pin to the iPad"s lightning socket and also provides left and right 6.3mm standard jack outputs (and a 3.5mm headphone jack)

Alternatively, you may have a controller with usb only, in which case you could use a simple device like the Apple camera connection kit, or something more sophisticated like one of the Focusrite Scarlett/claret devices.

I have yet to sort out point 3, above, meaning I have to switch between apps on the iPad.

Hopefully others may help to address this point. I would be keen to hear of any recommendations personally.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I"ve just started getting into this with BX3 and Setlist maker, both of which I love! I needed to connect power, midi and audio. I think connectivity depends on which iPad you have but I used one of these as a starting point to connect two usb items to my lightning port:

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MK0W2ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

That will let you keep iPad connected to power and connect 'something else" via usb. My 'something else" is a Roland Rubix 22 audio interface which can then provide audio and midi to the outside world. The rubix is also self powered which is useful. Some keyboards provide audio over midi (numa compact 2, Yamaha modx are examples I think) so if you"ve got one you could connect that directly to the lightning adapter.

Some (older?) iPads have a headphone output...I"m not sure if newer iPads have that? The headphone output could be used for audio output which would free up one of the camera adapter USB ports to directly connect a usb controller keyboard.

I"m not really up on the wireless technology for connectivity but it obviously exists. Someone else might be able to talk to that!

First step is to watch out for what adapters and accessories are available for the IPad model.

I just updated my old Pro to a new Air, and it switched from lighting plug to USB C.

The regular IPad you can get new now are still using the lightning plug.

So far I haven"t found an adapter that cover all my needs if I won"t to do the module thing, so I have kept my old for the apps I already have.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

I am sure one of the top posters such as AnotherScott will come along shortly to provide an answer of superior depth and clarity to mine but, in the meantime...

You have got:

- a controller/keyboard/stage piano

- the iPad

- the apps

You need:

1. a means of connecting the iPad to your controller

2. a means of outputting the audio

3. a means of controlling the range of apps with a master app (optional)

I combine 1&2 with a Korg plugkey. It connects standard midi 5 pin to the iPad"s lightning socket and also provides left and right 6.3mm standard jack outputs (and a 3.5mm headphone jack)

Alternatively, you may have a controller with usb only, in which case you could use a simple device like the Apple camera connection kit, or something more sophisticated like one of the Focusrite Scarlett/claret devices.

I have yet to sort out point 3, above, meaning I have to switch between apps on the iPad.

Hopefully others may help to address this point. I would be keen to hear of any recommendations personally.

So, a used iPad mini, Korg Plugkey and interface that goes stereo miniplug in to standard lineout and I'm good to go? No USB?? Trying to keep the price down.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

You need a camera kit with a charge port to charge WHILE you are using your rig. It wont keep up to charge a net gain but it will slow the drain of your ipad battery.

You need 2 usb 4 port hubs. Hook one to the other and you have now 7 open ports. You need a usb thumb drive sized sound card. This leaves 6 open ports. 2 for keyboard controllers and 2 for other things like expression input. And you got 2 left. This is alot of drain on your bus power so if any of your keyboard can use their own power supply, do it.

FunMachine.

Depends.

Upon which iPad you buy.

At present the current models have a USB C or Lightning socket.

An iPad with a Lightning socket, then the accessory needed is a Camera Adaptor, the type with a USB type A socket and a Lightning socket. Then a standard USB A and B cable (printer cable) will be all you need.

An iPad with a USB type C socket will need a cable with USB type C plug to USB type A socket. Again the standard printer cable, USB A and B will connect up to your keyboard.

The above are all Apple accessories readily available, but do be aware that cheap clones may or may not function.

Do also be aware that updated iPad"s are expected to be announced in the next few weeks, it is the iPad Pro is the model expected to be updated to the A14 chip but a much cheaper iPad a sort of entry model is rumoured to be announced.

At present I use an old iPad Mini a 32Gb version which is pretty full, it has a Lightning socket so I have a Camera Adaptor and a standard printer cable that connects the iPad to my keyboard, this has worked for me for the past five years with various keyboards.

Col

3. a means of controlling the range of apps with a master app (optional)â¦

⦠I have yet to sort out point 3, above, meaning I have to switch between apps on the iPad.

This has been a topic of some discussion a couple of times lately. Check out: AUM (my choice), Camelot, KeyStage, Audiobus.

Here for the gear.

So, a used iPad mini, Korg Plugkey and interface that goes stereo miniplug in to standard lineout and I'm good to go? No USB?? Trying to keep the price down.

You don't need an additional interface or even cable adapter (which sounds more like what you were describing)... the plugkey provides standard 1/4" line out, that's one of the main advantages of the plugkey over most other iOS MIDI interfaces. But while the PlugKey is a nice piece, it has no MIDI Out, so you can't, for example, use apps like Set List Maker to send Program Changes to your keyboards, or use apps like Camelot Pro or Keystage to manage splits/layers/switching among patches that combine iPad sounds with the internal sounds from your keyboard. That's why I preferred the Alesis Control Hub, also discontinued, but findable. (Unlilke the PlugKey, the Alesis also requires purchase of Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter in order to attach it to the lighning connection and provide a passthru port for charging.)

Cheapest way to go? If you ever connected any keyboard to your computer, you might already have a basic MIDI-to-USB interface (like a Roland UM-One, Yamaha MX16, M-Audio Uno, etc.)... then all you need is that Apple adapter I mentioned, and you can just use what you already have. Or if you don't have one, you could buy one, they're cheaper than even a used Plugkey or Control Hub. You lose the audio connection feature that the PlugKey and Control Hub have, so then, yes, you'd need that cable/adapter to go from stereo miniplug (iPad headphone out) to 1/4" (or whatever your audio destination has). You'd also lose the volume knobs that the Korg and Alesis have, so you'd have to use the volume buttons on the iPad to adjust volume (or a knob/slider on the mixer/amp that you're probably plugging your iPad into), which is generally less convenient. But it works, and it would be cheaper.

All this assumes you get an iPad that has a lightning connector and a heapdhone jack, and that your interest is in connecting keyboards that have 5-pin MIDI connections. Any other scenario, the options change.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If you have a normal-sized ipad with lightening connector, may be worth trying to find an old Alesis io dock 2 (not the first version, the second). Cheap as chips, line in/ out, midi in out etc connections, charges the Ipad while being used (if I remember correctly), housing protects the Ipad from its surroundings, just seems more substantial than the Plugkey in my opinion (I have a couple of the Alesis docks). Never understood why other companies haven't taken up the ball and run with this, a 61 key controller with ipad housing and ability to run multiple apps at the same time would be an instabuy for me.

(Edit: also just remembered that Focusrite did a version for mini ipads, the Itrack Dock, ehich may also be of interest).

You don't need an additional interface or even cable adapter (which sounds more like what you were describing)... the plugkey provides standard 1/4" line out, that's one of the main advantages of the plugkey over most other iOS MIDI interfaces. But while the PlugKey is a nice piece, it has no MIDI Out, so you can't, for example, use apps like Set List Maker to send Program Changes to your keyboards, or use apps like Camelot Pro or Keystage to manage splits/layers/switching among patches that combine iPad sounds with the internal sounds from your keyboard. That's why I preferred the Alesis Control Hub, also discontinued, but findable. (Unlilke the PlugKey, the Alesis also requires purchase of Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter in order to attach it to the lighning connection and provide a passthru port for charging.)

Cheapest way to go? If you ever connected any keyboard to your computer, you might already have a basic MIDI-to-USB interface (like a Roland UM-One, Yamaha MX16, M-Audio Uno, etc.)... then all you need is that Apple adapter I mentioned, and you can just use what you already have. Or if you don't have one, you could buy one, they're cheaper than even a used Plugkey or Control Hub. You lose the audio connection feature that the PlugKey and Control Hub have, so then, yes, you'd need that cable/adapter to go from stereo miniplug (iPad headphone out) to 1/4" (or whatever your audio destination has). You'd also lose the volume knobs that the Korg and Alesis have, so you'd have to use the volume buttons on the iPad to adjust volume (or a knob/slider on the mixer/amp that you're probably plugging your iPad into), which is generally less convenient. But it works, and it would be cheaper.

e

All this assumes you get an iPad that has a lightning connector and a heapdhone jack, and that your interest is in connecting keyboards that have 5-pin MIDI connections. Any other scenario, the options change.

All I have is a Traktor Audio 2 by NI, which I have when using the VSTs in my laptop. I didn't need Midi. (Stopped using VSTs after a while, not enough net-gain for all the setup headaches, anyway...)

Your assumption is correct. - iPad with lightning, etc is correctamundo. If I go this route and like it, maybe I would add a 61 note controller. This is all speculation but the thought of having a B3 sound and a good Rhodes sound is something slab DPs (cheap ones,) are lacking.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

My current rig is similar to others here. Rather than the Korg PlugKey, I went with the Tascam 2x2 USB/midi interface for just a few more $$$. I wanted to be able to feed audio into the iPad and use it as an effects rack -- in addition to using it as a sound generator. 5-pin midi in/out, audio in/out and USB C in/out. Nice little unit and sounds better to my ears than the native earbud jack.

Yes, you will need a Lightning or USB-C adapter for your iPad, and the beefiest power supply you can find to feed it. A powered USB hub can be useful, as well as a small stand for your iPad. Some of the software controls can get pretty tiny, so I've started to use the Apple Pencil.

Unless you're doing really simple stuff, you're going to want something to host your AUv3 instruments and effects. AUM is the usual go-to, but there are many choices.

None of the stuff is really ready for live gigging. Connectors are wiggly, software can have a senior moment, and so on. I'll be using KeyStage as a live orchestrator.

With a bit more effort on my part, I think I can harden it enough to gig with, and now we're talking!

If you want to go really cheap, I've been impressed on what you can do with an ancient iPhone, iPod or iPad. You can't run an orchestra, but you can run a few cool instruments and effects for almost no $$$.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

My next iPad will be powerful enough to use Bluetooth exclusively.

I hear you, but ?????. The latency issues that I've experienced with bluetooth and keyboard controllers don't seem to be related to CPU power. They do seem related to many bluetooth profiles being throughput-optimized vs. latency-optimized. You'll notice it if you've ever used bluetooth headphones on a conference call, you're always just a split second behind the conversation. It always throws me off when playing.

That being said, I'm using bluetooth for an external x/y/z midi controller (my iPhone!) and I don't notice the latency in that situation.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

My next iPad will be powerful enough to use Bluetooth exclusively.

As cphollis said, the bluetooth latency isn't about the power of the iPad, it's about the limitations of Bluetooth. But it's getting better. CME's stuff looks nice. I've actually ordered some, but haven't played with them yet.

My current rig is similar to others here. Rather than the Korg PlugKey, I went with the Tascam 2x2 USB/midi interface for just a few more $$$. I wanted to be able to feed audio into the iPad and use it as an effects rack -- in addition to using it as a sound generator. 5-pin midi in/out, audio in/out and USB C in/out.

Similarly, I recent picked up a Zoom U-24, with an eye toward also being able to have audio inputs into the iPad and also two independent sets of outputs, which I'm told should be usable with some apps to send different sounds to different outputs (essentially adding "assignable outs" to my iPad rig). I also liked that it was pretty compact. But I haven't played with it yet. Noticing a pattern? ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Good points that I didn't understand about Bluetooth and latency, although I notice a difference with B-3X alone via Bluetooth vs other apps alone via Bluetooth. And, I have both CME and Quicco. No problemo with PlugKey. Interesting that I noticed more latency using Bluetooth with my GrandStage, less latency using Bluetooth with my Kronos.

Anyway, thanks both! :2thu:

Here for the gear.

As you are keen to keep the costs down and I see the Korg Plugkey has been suggested, do note that if you can find one that it is likely to be far more expensive than an Apple Camera Adaptor which here is the UK is £39 whilst the Korg Plugkey is £75.

Col

I see the Korg Plugkey has been suggested, do note that if you can find one that it is likely to be far more expensive than an Apple Camera Adaptor which here is the UK is £39 whilst the Korg Plugkey is £75.

but the plugkey works by itself, whereas the Apple adapter is only half a solution (assuming you're trying to connect to something with 5-pin DIN jacks). A name-brand "other half" (Roland UM-One or similar) costs about $40 here in the U.S., though there are generics, which some people find work just fine, but others have reported problems with. Whether that's quality control, or issues with certain MIDI devices or trying to do certain tasks, I don't know. It makes me more hesitant to recommend them. But if you get one with a good return policy and so can confirm it works for what you need it for, that could save you some more.

The Op wants to connect an iPad to a keyboard.

Using the Camera Adaptor plus a standard USB A & B cable is the cheapest option.

The Korg Plugkey is near enough twice the price and it is only Lightning to MIDI plus audio and hence another interface will be required to connect the Plugkey to an iPad.

If as expected a new entry level iPad is soon announced then all these discussions may be moot if said iPad has a different socket arrangement. This is why the Op is imo best advised to wait for a month or so. Even the humble iPad Mini is expected to be updated with a faster socket.

Col

The Op wants to connect an iPad to a keyboard.

Using the Camera Adaptor plus a standard USB A & B cable is the cheapest option.

Again, I mentioned that I was talking about needing to connect to with something that has 5-pin DIN jacks. Which he confirmed in an earlier post is his goal. (For example to use his Kawai ES110, which does not have the USB option. Though there are also other reasons one may prefer to use the 5-pin connectors.)

What else do you need?

How about a IPad mount/tablet holder?

I use one that attaches to my Z stand and holds the IPad perfectly positioned just above my upper keyboard so I can access it easily.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

I do have an ES110. Some of you might ask, just get a better DP. I have been thinking about a ES520, which I would of bought if available last year (slightly heavier, better internal speakers, etc.) The iPad idea seems like a cheaper better way to get the sounds I'm missing especially a B3 clone sound (and Rhodes.)

Does M-Audio Uno have features better then say, (LiDiVi MIDI to USB in-Out Cable MIDI Interface on Amazon?) It's cheaper (my M.O.)

So again, a MIDI / USB cable, an Apple Camera Adapter, iPad mini, apps and I'm swimming to the sweet sounds of B3 and Rhodes and this is Stereo?

All I have is a Traktor Audio 2 by NI ... I didn't need Midi

I like the Traktor Audio 2 its a decent compact interface, I"ve had one for ages as a 'backup' audio device for gigs and DJ"ing. The little amps are reasonably loud.

Since you don"t need MIDI DIN, just get a CCK adapter and powered USB hub. This would be the setup:

[iPad] - [CCK adapter] - [powered USB hub] = [connect both Traktor Audio 2 and Keyboard to USB hub]

notes:

- The Traktor Audio 2 needs to use its own power supply or iOS will eventually complain.

- DO NOT use NI"s included lightning to micro-USB adapter cable, it"s not stable.

- DO use NI"s included micro-USB to USB A cable, the Traktor is happier with that,

- On the iPad, the Traktor"s main out (-10dBu) and headphone jack work as expected, so you can monitor properly.

- On the iPhone only the Traktor"s headphone jack will pass audio (NI seems to have dropped support for iPhone).

- I recommend outfitting a small briefcase to help manage the mess of wires. You could even mount the iPad inside the briefcase.

All I have is a Traktor Audio 2 by NI ... I didn't need Midi

I like the Traktor Audio 2 its a decent compact interface, I"ve had one for ages as a 'backup' audio device for gigs and DJ"ing. The little amps are reasonably loud.

Since you don"t need MIDI DIN

I do need MIDI cause ES110 doesn't have USB. When I said I didn't need MIDI, I was using my Windows laptop with VSTs and my DP at time, a Roland FP4 had MIDI USB. (I miss my Roland FP4. I went through many years of horror searching for a better Rhodes sound than the FP4 including Nord Piano3, Yamaha CP4, Casio PXS3000 to my current ES110, unfortunately getting older at same time and having less needs for expensive DPs.)

Of course if that Nigerian money order thing comes through than I'll just buy everything. :facepalm:

The Apple lightning to USB3 camera connector is something that every music user of an iPad with Lightning should have.

All the other advice you have been given is good, but to do what you need to do, I don"t think you need to wait for the newest generation to be released. Just get the latest generation plain-jane iPad and you should be fine for a very long time.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music