Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Eat of any tree except this one. And this one. and...

Recent GC e-mail (paraphrased):

Great Deals on Major Brands!

Click here for exceptions.

Result:

Products from the following manufacturers are excluded:

A Designs, ADAM, ADAM Audio, Aguilar, Allen & Heath, Alvarez, Ampeg, Antelope Audio, Apogee, Apple, Arturia, Ashdown, Ashly Audio, Avantone, Avid, B.C. Rich, BAE, Barefoot Sound, Beetronics FX, Blackstar, Bogner, Bose, Boss, Burl Audio, Caparison Guitars, Catalinbread, Chapman, Crate, Cusack Music, D'Angelico, D.W. Fearn, Danelectro, Dangerous Music, Dean Markley, Deering, Diezel, Duesenberg USA, Earthquaker Devices, Earthworks, Egnater, Electro-Harmonix, Elysia, Empress Effects, Epiphone, Ernie Ball Music Man, EVH, Fender, Fender Custom Shop, FOCAL, Focusrite, Fostex, Friedman, Fulltone, Fulltone Custom Shop, G&L, Gallien-Krueger, Gibraltar, Gibson, Gibson Custom, Godin, Golden Age Project, GoPro, Gretsch Drums, Hagstrom, HeadRush, Heritage Audio, iConnectivity, ISP Technologies, iZotope, JHS Pedals, Johnson, Kat Percussion, Keeley, Kemper, Korg, Kramer, Kurzweil, Kush Audio, LaChapell Audio, Lag Guitars, Lakland, Lewitt Audio Microphones, Lindell Audio, Lucida, Mackie, Manley, Marshall, Martin, Meris, METRIC HALO, Millennia, Milkman Sound, Mojave Audio, Moog, Morgan Amplification, MOTU, Native Instruments, Neumann, Nord, Novation, Orange Amplifiers, Paiste, Pettyjohn Electronics, Phoenix Audio, Primacoustic, PRS, Palatino, QSC, Radial Engineering, Randall, Rane, Reloop, Reverend, RME, Rockett Pedals, Roland, Roland Cloud, Royer, Ruach Music, S.E. Shires, Savannah, se Electronics, Seagull, Sennheiser, Sequential, SERATO, Shure, Slate Digital, Slate Pro Audio, Slate Media Technology, Snark, Softube, Soldano, Soundbrenner, Source Audio, Spector, Squier, Steinberger, Steven Slate Audio, Steven Slate Drums, Strandberg, Studiologic, Suhr, Supro, Suzuki, Synergy, Taylor, Teenage Engineering, Telefunken, Teletronix, The Loar, Toft Audio Designs, Tone King, Tube-Tech, Two Notes Audio Engineering, VHT, Voodoo Lab, Vox, Walrus Audio, Wampler, Warm Audio, Washburn, WESTONE, Xotic Effects, Yamaha, ZT, Zvex.

Why not just metion the three brands that we can buy -- wouldn't that be easier?

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just metion the three brands that we can buy -- wouldn't that be easier?

Even more annoyingly, they really will offer deals on at least some of those brands - they"re just required to claim they won"t for reasons that would be illegal in most of Europe.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I was already discouraged, trees are chewy and lack vital nutrients.

Our GC is a dead man walking, there's no reason for me to go there. It doesn't change my world that they don't want to mark down anything.

I don't have to shop there.

I find too much cool stuff already. Blew my meager budget on an Aston Element mic and a Tech 21 Double Drive 3x MOD.

And a great playing vintage Peavey Fury bass.

I will concede that some niches are more easily fed than others.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Williams

Proline

Livewire

Sterling Audio

Harbinger

Digital Reference

Road Runner

Musician's Gear

Mitchell guitars

Sound Percussion Labs

All you have to do is look for the address on the box. "P. O. Box 5111 Thousand Oaks CA" means it's a GC house brand.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Kawai isn't in the list, doesn't look like. There was another one where I got lucky, I can't remember which brand it was now.

I asked Sweetwater for a deal on my last keyboard and they gave me a nice deal between 15 and 20% off...they are hit and miss though.

Williams

Proline

Livewire

Sterling Audio

Harbinger

Digital Reference

Road Runner

Musician's Gear

Mitchell guitars

Sound Percussion Labs

All you have to do is look for the address on the box. "P. O. Box 5111 Thousand Oaks CA" means it's a GC house brand.

You can add Simmons drums. BTW, I (knowingly) bought a set.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Recent GC e-mail (paraphrased):

Great Deals on Major Brands!

Click here for exceptions.

Result................................................................................

Why not just mention the three brands that we can buy -- wouldn't that be easier?

Yeah, that email excited me for a bit -- but then I made the mistake of looking at the exceptions............

NOT happy to see Yamaha on the list -- as I was hoping to score an MODX7 for the price of a 6...

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Well, my local GC isn't as quick to overlook the fine print...

Manager there said they needed a "viable coupon code" to honor the discount...

But shortly after that, I got yet another email from GC; this time mentioning "20% Off of Heavy Hitters through March 31st". It turns out the Yamaha item I wanted was on the Heavy Hitter list, but only with "extended financing terms" -- and no discount. But as I've learned in business, sometimes "all you need to do is ask"...

So I asked (of the GC phone orders #, and not the local store) what they could do instead of the financing to get me to drop over a G on a brand new board today, and they made me a decent offer. Well, OK, their first offer was a little bit low, so I asked again -- and I had to wait another 10 minutes or so -- but they came back with a # which I could accept, and I placed the order,

Oddly enough, it was close to the original discount offer from this morning, which Tom had mentioned.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Some that are noticeably not on that list (WWBW is doing a deal where you get 25% off purchases above $99 after doing a survey, but they're related to GC and MF so they have a similar list but they also don't exclude Studiologic and SE).

Modal

Sequential

Dave Smith/DSI

Access

Erica Synths

Elektron

ASM

Hammond

Dexibell

GSI

Crumar

KAT Percussion

Native Instruments

Turbosound

That doesn't mean they necessarily sell all of those brands, but they do sell a lot of them.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• 2 weeks later...
I have NEVER had an issue with my local GC honoring discounts, despite the 5 pages of exceptions. Yamaha, Korg, whatever.

I'm pretty sure they do that to get around trick manufacturer MAP policies.

This. A partial explanation for why the online vendors want you to "call for the best deal." The stores can give discounts the manufacturer's prohibit from being advertised publicly.