Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif ES rack acoustic piano sounds

I'm using an original motif rack with a midi controller. Everything sounds good but the acoustic pianos are not good. I always heard the ES had the best of the piano samples. Everything about the 2 units are pretty similar. Would it be worth the switch

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just go straight to the XS rack, as I find the pianos much improved over the ES. If Yamaha made an XF rack, that would have the additional S6 piano from the Motif XF, which is a great piano to have on tap. But they don't, so you'd have either the XS or an XF keyboard to pick from.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Well, one thing to be gained by moving up to an ES rack is the much improved timing with the more powerful processor on board. The original Motif rack was infamous for MIDI lag due to the under powered processor it had. Yamaha fixed that issue with the ES. On the other hand, the ES rack is infamous for having a wonky alpha dial.

While I enjoy Nord Grand White the most recently, I always find myself very happy using the acoustic piano samples in my Yamaha S90 ES in every band context. They are dynamic, cut through and response great to the S90 ES keyboard action.

The S90 ES has the S700 grand piano in it, which is not present in the Motif Rack or Motif Rack ES. I'm guessing that's what you're referring to? It could be loaded in to the Motif XS (European Loyalty Program but open to all, still available) and XF (Inspiration in a Flash soundset, still online on the MOXF page), but I do not believe it could be loaded in to the Motif *Rack* XS. The sound wasn't quite the same due to FX differences, but it was similar.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments