Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rack Wiring/Cabling Suggestions?

Hi all,

I'm curious how those of you who are using racks wire everything up. My rack setup consists of a Fantom XR, Emu Proteus/1, Emu Mo'Phatt (may be interchanged with a rack shelf with a Proformance and JV-1010 occasionally), and a Korg N1R in a four-space rack case. I then have a 2U case with a Radial power conditioner and an Ashly line mixer. So everything in the 4U needs to be powered from the 2U case and connected to that line mixer. I'm planning on stacking them (on a Quiklok stand). So here's what I'm wondering...does anyone have any suggestions for cabling setup? I'm considering using maybe using some 3' 1/4" cables to connect the modules to the line mixer, out the back of the bottom unit into the top, but for power I know at least one unit (the N1r) uses a non-IEC cable (as do the Proformance and JV-1010 should I use them), so I have to store the power cords for the modules somewhere when using the rack system as well.

Here's what the layout is right now. Pardon the iffy photoshopping - I'm still waiting on a few components to arrive and it's faster to mock it up.

Front

Max-Rack-Stack-Front.png

Back

Max-Rack-Stack-Back.png

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas for cable management and keeping things nice and tidy and looking good?

Thank you,

Max

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Short patch cable runs, but don't forget that they're always shorter than they say, due to lack of consistency in production runs as well as the connectors themselves being counted as part of the cable length. In a tall rack, 1 meter sometimes isn't enough (or 3 feet if the manufacturer measures that way; many vendors use both systems depending on the product).

Cable ties help a lot. And try to keep the cables away from heat sources. Best to have a rack that has a bit of space at the back so that things don't get scrunched up and mess up your cable organization during transport.

The MIDI cables can just be plugged in as needed, I'd think, as you don't have enough inputs or a MIDI router for having them all patched full-time.

Get some small dots or rectangles in different colours, to label and mark each cable, if you can -- probably at both ends. I do this for drum miking, but need to do it for my rack gear as well.

It's too bad we can't buy patch cables in colours as with mic cables and instrument cables. With Canare mic and instrument cables, I use blue for left channel and red for right channel, on stereo modules. And for mics, I have a system as well and now they make available even more colours than before (they've added grey, white, brown, and one or two others in recent years). For ;patch cables, I usually stick with Mogami.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I bought a bunch of TRS patch cables a number of years ago on eBay. Made by a company named GLS. Still using them, quality seems pretty good.

Looks like they are still available. Try www.glsaudio.coma

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

The MIDI cables can just be plugged in as needed, I'd think, as you don't have enough inputs or a MIDI router for having them all patched full-time.

I actually do have a Midi Solutions Quadra Thru that I think should do the job, once I buy short midi cables. I just didn"t mention it. Not sure where I"m putting it at the moment but it"s nice and small.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Step one should always be to figure out exactly where you will want your rack mount units located and kept. If you are still experimenting don't start in on dressing the cables yet.

If possible, run AC power cables to one side and audio/MIDI cables to the other. Try to keep them away from each other.

If power cables and audio/MIDi cables must commingle, the ideal is a a 90 degree crossing over of the two cables to minimize contact. Running them alongside each other may result in hum in your audio system.

Tie wraps are certainly handy.

Most AC power cables are longer than you need for a rack mount. When I was dressing my rack I bought some AC plugs that can be installed with just a a screw driver and a wire stripper. I measured and cut all power cables with a bit of extra length but not much. I was able to eliminate several feet of AC power cables hanging out of the back of the unit.

Since you will be unplugging and re-plugging cables, I agree that you should mark everything so it's easy to be consistent.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Here's an older thread that shows some of my rack wiring techniques.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2622001/made-some-updates-to-my-live-rig#Post2622001

If you get fancy enough, you might want to ask Redco to make you some custom snakes with the right length you need, plus straight or 90 degree cable ends. Setting up a new rack is fun! Here's a picture from when I was working on my current rack, which is just a three space to hold IEM rig, Vent, and Key Largo. I'm using a fancy multi-pin rig that our own vonnor built for me.

tRlrJfK.jpg

I have two 3-space racks for my live rig. One has a power supply, Ashly mixer like yours, and and Ashly compressor. My second rack has my IEM system, a guitar modeler and another power supply. I use the short (12 inch) power cables in both racks, along with short TRS cables, and have cut the power supply cable in the top rack so that it has a short line. I then just connect the power from one to the other and connect the modeler lines to the mixer. Three cables and done, everything else is permanently connected. Since you have all of the power in one rack, you will have to snake a bunch of power cables from one rack to the other. Just use the shortest ones you can. Your design looks like it will bring the power cables all through the line cables. I think I would arrange it so that there is a power strip in the rack with the modules, so that all you would need to do is connect one power strip to the other.

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

I don't have any rack gear, but have kicked around the idea of getting one for several reasons...including somewhere to put a drink (not really kidding!). I also have a key largo and started bringing a UPS after having some power issues at gigs...it would be nice to have things mostly pre-wired. I'm not sure I'd go so far as a patch bay but that would be the most convenient, just plug in my 4-cable snake and boom.

Shortest cables possible along with a line mixer & power strip in the same rack.. That was always my approach. I would generally make the cables myself so they'd be just long enough.

After multiple rack configs and gear changes over the years, I now have a s**t load of cables I don't need anymore!

Just sold 6 rack synths, pedals & fx units as I've decided to move all the stuff I don't use anymore. I finally reached the point where I could part with it. No more racks full of gear and cable insanity. I still have quite a bit of gear but it's a big improvement.

I'd get a 6 space that's deeper. Then everything can stay connected and your set up is super easy.

I considered this. Two reasons why I can't really do that.

1. Since being injured in an accident last year that messed up my back and some other things, I kind of don't want to haul around anything bigger/heavier than a full 4U case. I'm just not in the shape to do it anymore. Part of it is the ergonomics.

2. I actually already have had everything but the power conditioner (pre-order) and N1r (on the way) for a bit, including a really nice 4U case I had a guy (Casesmith Customs) custom build me and a small 2U SKB. I'm not eager to get a heavier 6U case (see point 1) after investing in this stuff.

IMG-1813.png

IMG-1814.png

The 4U is actually 17" deep plus lids to accommodate larger modules with some extra room, while the 2U is a shallow 10.5".

IMG-1815.png

I was kind of hoping to be able to just use the 2U with the mixer and power supply for gigs where I'm using multiple boards but no rack synths as well, as it would be a nice all-in-one setup. But yeah, I can't go larger than 4U.

Step one should always be to figure out exactly where you will want your rack mount units located and kept. If you are still experimenting don't start in on dressing the cables yet.

Right. I know I want power and the mixer to be able to be used independently of the other equipment for other gigs, and I can't go over the 4U I have. I'm trying to do a modular approach to this (think an amp head plus associated gear).

If possible, run AC power cables to one side and audio/MIDI cables to the other. Try to keep them away from each other.

Thank you! I will try to do that. Of course, the N1R and Proteus are the odd ones out with the power on the right half, so I might end up running those two separately.

^^^ I'm with ya Max! I have a "portable recording studio" in an 8 space rack. It weighs too much, I do not like it.

I'm thinking of different combinations now. One slot is empty, if I sell one rack I could go with 2 - 3 space racks.

Or one 3 and one 4 like you have. Maybe three 3 space if I expand.

All I know is the 8 space is not "mobile". I've got a hernia surgery pending. Heavy needs a new home. 2 guitar amps will be on their way soon as well. I have a couple of small, light ones that sound great. I can just mic them.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Those pictures are helpful. It appears that you have ample space in the larger white tolex rack for stashing power supplies etc. The smaller rack appears to have very little space for such a thing, so maybe you should get a little bit larger one?

Another nice thing to consider would be the cable in/out plates that Redco (and others) sell, if you need to daisy chain anything or have access to run cables from your rig. EscapeRocks has mastered this and has a ton of great posts on this.

I'm with you on not wanting to carry much more than 4 space racks these days.

It is possible to purchase short AC cables that have one male plug and 3 or more female ends to attach to your rack modules. Every ounce counts.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

It's a white tolex - the maker has a ton of different color options. This one he calls "White Bronco". Seems nicely made.

https://www.casesmithcustoms.com/

Here's all the tolex color options available: https://www.casesmithcustoms.com/index.php/options-amp-cases/tolex