Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It Still Works. What the @#$%& Should I Do With It?

Donate it to The Museum of Worthless things?

Attempt a seance with Steve Jobs?

Put it on eBay and create an auction frenzy among crazed Mac fanboys?

Have it run a looped animation, hypnotize cats, and make a cat video to put on YouTube?

Click on AOL and see if it still exists?

Paint it candy apple red, claim it's a rare Mac prototype, and sell it as an NFT for $73 million dollars?

Wax nostalgic about the days when Appple laptops had - gasp - ports?

Guidance, please...

cvGei1C.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like a "Lombard" model. I remember buying one on ebay years ago so I could have OS9 for some old MOTU hardware programs. I had it for quite a while but I believe the HD was beginning, or perhaps did, go bad so I sold it on ebay again on "as is" status.

I keep one old Mac on hand to run SoundDiver, and I would gladly take that one as a backup, for just that reason. I can't imagine collecting them, otherwise? Maybe if someone was devoted to old Power PC games.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I remember AOL. I made furniture-balancing aids and ash trays from their discs. Speeds were so iffy back then, you could only bitch-slap someone on a bulletin board every 30 minutes. With Twitter, you can do it steadily until you end up divorced, with mushrooms growing in your crevices.

Sometimes a thing can work out for the worse when it FUNCTIONS at its best. :facepalm:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I have a few old ThinkPads that still work. Including a couple made by IBM.

I used to have a Motorola CPU Mac Classic II, but about 7 or 8 of years ago I tried to boot it just for fun, and it wouldn't boot. I don't remember how I got rid of it. I do remember calling a lot of people before finding someone who wanted it.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

The other day I saw a working Mac Laptop at Habitat for Humanity.

It had a track ball instead of a pad. I suspect yours is newer.

Mom had a "doorstop Mac", she wrote a novel on it in Word. I'm not sure it had a number, I believe it was just "Word".

It had the Super Drive, you could use the 1.4mb floppy disks, which were larger than the hard drive. It probably had RAM measured in kb.

We donated it to Starvation Army, it still worked.

I vote you crank it up, create a stick figure animation loop, then pour gasoline on it and set it on fire. Make a movie of that and post it on YouTube, it will get several million hits in the first 2 weeks, then nobody will ever watch it again.

It's a noble death! :laugh:

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I remember track balls in laptops. I never liked them.

I do like the 'eraser head' pointer which is still on some ThinkPads. I can move the cursor without ever taking my hands off the home position on the keyboard.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

I left something out.

While it's burning, shoot it with a BB gun, a sling shot or at least throw rocks at it.

Maybe kick it down some concrete stairs outside, that would be nice.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I keep one old Mac on hand to run SoundDiver, and I would gladly take that one as a backup, for just that reason. I can't imagine collecting them, otherwise? Maybe if someone was devoted to old Power PC games.

I remember SoundDiver well, the program that came with my Roland XP-30 in an OEM version. It really made it so much easier to set up patches and programs although I actually had better luck using the PC version which continued to work through a lot of Windows updates. I did have the OS9 version on the 'ole Lombard computer and it worked using midi cables but I could never get it to work using the old round serial port cable, frustrated me no end.

The XP-30 got replaced by a Korg Krome and eventually got sold during an "inventory reduction" but it was a great solid working man's keyboard I had for many years.

I've restored an iBook G4 previously, and recently picked up an iMac G3 and a Power Macintosh 5500/250 as well, to run old synth editors. I like tinkering too. :) You might find someone who would want it to run that type of thing in OS9. The hard part I find is finding compatible midi (or audio if you want that) hardware.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Somewhere there's somebody that wants that particular model for some obscure reason. My parents got used to using Word Perfect 4.x, and refused to move to anything else. They used an ancient PC clone that booted off of a floppy for decades because of that.

My laptop is a 2009 MacBook. I was pulled aside going through JFK by the TSA and asked "why do you have this?", and I asked what do you mean? The guy says "I've never seen one of these, these are very old" and I told him it was $150 - I couldn't afford a nicer laptop. He looked at me like I was maybe a terrorist. He made me start it up, show him it worked. I see it as a luxury to have a laptop compared to days of traveling without one - I'm glad I have the cheap option.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

My laptop is a 2009 MacBook. I was pulled aside going through JFK by the TSA...

I was pulled aside by the TSA in Austin because of my laptop. The agent insisted that I open it up, so he could inspect the gun inside. I told him no gun could fit in something that thin, and besides, I would need special tools to open it if in fact I could even figure out how to open it. The guy was really obstinate, and demanded again that I open it up. Again, I said there was no way I could do that. It started to get ugly so I asked for him to bring his supervisor over. The supervisor ran it through the X-ray machine again.

L-shaped circuit board :facepalm:

That's actually the only time I've had TSA trouble. Most of the time they're pretty nice. One lady even gave me a shoulder massage during a patdown.

Me and 2 friends wanted to open an Amiga store in Lexington KY when they were popular. We were really serious about it. To open a store Commodore told us we had to buy an initial 300 units, then some unreasonable number per month. We knew a small city like Lexington could never support that. Someone else did open a store and stayed in business less than a year. The business world was full of horror stories about how Commodore mismanaged the Amiga and screwed things up for dealers. So glad we never got involved after our initial talk with Commodore. Still, I loved the Amiga.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page