Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi-OT: Monday morning thoughts on the Grammys

I was wondering how they could possibly do WAP on television. Turns out they rapped the clean version - available in my DJ pool. The background girls uttered the words the track is famous for a few times though, although it was mixed in very low.

Bruno Mars and Anderson Paak knocked it out of the park in presentation and style, but unfortunately the song wasn't worth it to these ears. Maybe I just need to hear it again.

Both Megan Thee Stallion and Billie Eilish gave gracious and touching acceptance speeches that I don't think would have happened in a regular Grammy. The small intimate setting among just their peers allowed them to open up - and it was really cool.

The elephant in the room was Blinding Lights. It was clearly the #1 song of a year one will ever forget. It is still popular, and just set another record last week as the first single to stay in the Billboard Top Ten for a consecutive year. It was just crazy to not nominate it for anything and makes the Grammys look rigged (as it is often accused of).

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never watch the Grammy's but last night I was channel surfing and dropped in just for grins. Imagine my surprise when I saw Brandi Carlile singing a John Prine song. I thought I'd punched in the wrong station.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

The elephant in the room was Blinding Lights. It was clearly the #1 song of a year one will ever forget. It is still popular, and just set another record last week as the first single to stay in the Billboard Top Ten for a consecutive year. It was just crazy to not nominate it for anything and makes the Grammys look rigged (as it is often accused of).

Haven't watched since the Jethro Tull / Metallica debacle. But, really? Nothing for Blinding Lights? Really??

I like Anderson Paak, Bruno Mars is good, but sounds too formula for me. I heard their song together and I like the song, it's like a lot of the Soul music I grew up on, BUT the production overworked and polished the soul right out of the track.

I like Anderson Paak, Bruno Mars is good, but sounds too formula for me. I heard their song together and I like the song, it's like a lot of the Soul music I grew up on, BUT the production overworked and polished the soul right out of the track.

Yeah this is kind of what I was getting at. These guys are terrific performers (and really can do no wrong) but the arrangement itself seemed all slick and polish with no guts. I kept waiting for the payoff - a strong hook or something - that just never materialized to these ears.

But it's a new song that I'd never heard before. Maybe I just need to listen to it again.

I haven't watched the Grammys in years, although occasionally a local guy makes good (as Fantastic Negrito did last night again, a Bay Area dude who has some of my tribe in his band).

Still remember when Aretha last-minute subbed for a sick Luciano Pavarotti and sang Nessa Dorum.

All the awards that interest me are announced before the televised portion.

I"m all in on Anderson .Paak & Bruno Mars bringing back the 1970s Philadelphia Sound. Gamble and Huff, Thom Bell, The Stylistics, The OJays, Harold Melvin and The Bluenotes. Love it.

They omitted Lyle Mays from the memorial segment. He passed away a few weeks after last year"s program.

An insightful writeup from the LA Times on the show and the overall success of the format. I hope they remember for next year. As the article mentioned, it's been bad for years, but apparently this is the first year without Ken Ehrlich in ages. Forty years at the helm was too long....

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2021-03-14/grammys-2021-trevor-noah-cbs-awards-shows

Yeah this is kind of what I was getting at. These guys are terrific performers (and really can do no wrong) but the arrangement itself seemed all slick and polish with no guts. I kept waiting for the payoff - a strong hook or something - that just never materialized to these ears.

But it's a new song that I'd never heard before. Maybe I just need to listen to it again.

That song sounds to me like it's from a musical about the disco/funk/soul era.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Yeah this is kind of what I was getting at. These guys are terrific performers (and really can do no wrong) but the arrangement itself seemed all slick and polish with no guts.

Agreed on all accounts. I guess that means our age is showing again.:laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yeah this is kind of what I was getting at. These guys are terrific performers (and really can do no wrong) but the arrangement itself seemed all slick and polish with no guts.

Agreed on all accounts. I guess that means our age is showing again.:laugh::cool:

I do think the presentation was a little over the top, but I love the song. Very reminiscent of Thom Bell, one of my all-time faves from the 70's.

Bruno Mars...I do think the presentation was a little over the top, but I love the song. Very reminiscent of Thom Bell, one of my all-time faves from the 70's.

While there's nothing I can do about it, I feel some kinda way about Bruno Mars' rip and recycling of black music and riding it all the way to the bank. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I didn't watch the show. Was it a new song or Leave the Door Open? I felt the same way as y'all about that one.

It was "Leave the Door Open" with a 1970s style video performance. The musical equivalent of McDonald's food. :laugh::cool:

PD

I like "Leave the Door Open" and both videos, the release one and the Grammy performance. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I"m all in on Anderson .Paak & Bruno Mars bringing back the 1970s Philadelphia Sound. Gamble and Huff, Thom Bell, The Stylistics, The OJays, Harold Melvin and The Bluenotes. Love it.

Yeah, well, the thing is, though: the sound was only half of what made that stuff good. The other half was great songwriting (along with Pendergrass & co caliber lead singers...) - which these guys (Mars & .Paak) lack. There's just nothing THERE (on "Leave The Door Open"). Like Bill H. said above, you keep waiting for a hook or something to grab on to...which never materializes.

But songwriting in general is a problem these days, at least in hip hop and r&b (which has become pop, though).