Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Goodbye to the eLicenser dongle!

Apparently Steinberg is dropping the eLicenser dongle in favour of some other authorization scheme.

This has also resulted in Vienna Symphonic Library switching to the iLok, but they'll be supporting iLok Cloud as well as the iLok dongle.

A lot of people will be affected by this. The iLok holds more licenses, is faster and more reliable, less likely to break, and has better license protection.

Not only that, but once this switch is fully consolidated, we can free up a valuable USB slot for stuff that is connected to a USB hub (dongles don't like hubs).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for others, but the eLicenser has been nothing but trouble and annoyance for me, Idiot that I am, I tried to crank up my copy of Cubase the other day for the first time in a couple of years and it wouldn't go. Not only was the code thingy out of date, eLicenser itself was out of date. What a kludge. I've been meaning to uninstall Cubase and haven't gotten around to it. I think it's time.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Speaking more about iLok, but for some people the hardware dongle is actually more convenient--these are people with multiple machines that need all the same software.

For me as a home hobbyist with one computer, anything requiring a dongle or always-on cloud connection is right out. I ended up getting an iLok account finally for two plugins that were on major sale, but it's just the software version that is similar to other forms of copy protection.

I still prefer the simple serial # that doesn't care how many machines you install it on :) I understand that companies don't like to have their "warez" pirated but some still do it this way (u-he) and that honestly has been a factor in me buying several of their products.

Oh hoo-freakin-ray!

It didn"t bother me that much until I wanted to sell a license, which meant buying an elicenser.

I do wonder how we will handle software use on more than one machine, which previously just meant moving the elicenser.

I make software noises.

I haven't had to actually do it, but iirc iLok provides a way to move the computer-based license through their software.

If the service is cloud-based, I'd think you wouldn't have to do anything (?) since they could easily stop more than one machine from accessing the online service I would think.

Certainly something to ask about/research, I have contacted a few companies about questions like that (and, how many times can you transfer etc) before buying their product.

Too late for me. The strongest reason i migrated from Cubase to Logic was because i was moving from a desktop to a laptop, with the idea to work on public transportation. In that kind of situation you do not want a dongle that somebody can easily grab and run.

But today i am happy with Logic, that suite me better, and i sold my Cubase Pro copy (still have Cubase Element to read old file). No plan to go back.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

• 2 weeks later...

The eLicenser has always been a terrible copy protection system; more than one vendor who used it made a point of telling buyers, "Don't lose it. If it's gone, you're screwed."

I once lost a half hour at a NAMM show because a product demonstrator couldn't get Cubase to boot because of license shenanigans. (It was the Steinberg booth.)

I don't like dongles; I don't travel much, and when I do, I rarely take a loaded-out production machine, so I use the option to install an on-disk license for my iLok-savvy plug-ins or just do without. It should be noted that each vendor gets to decide if a product can be authorized on a computer rather than an actual key; some still don't.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music