Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using iPhone/iPad in a Windows Set Up?

I'm hoping to get some advice on how to connect an iPhone 7 to a Windows 10 laptop, running Gig Performer. Ideally I would like to be able to send MIDI to Soft Drummer on the iPhone and audio out of Soft Drummer to Gig Performer.

I am aware of Studiomux which apparantly is supposed to do this well, but it is now broken with ios 14 and the Beta not yet playing well with Windows. And I suppose I should mention, some sort of expensive hardware interface probably not a solution for me.

But I hope this is easily accomplished though I can't figure it out. Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The iConnect Audio2+ and 4+ will allow you to do it. If you find one used, they're not too expensive. Takes a bit to figure out the software, but once you do, it does a great job of letting Windows and iOS device communicate. I use Ableton and am not familiar with Gig Performer, so YMMV.

Kurzweil PC3x - Polybrute - Voyager XL - Minitaur - Roland PK-5 - Integra-7 - TR-8s - KArp Odyssey

"Prog keyboardists are supposed to look like they're manning the helm of the Starship Enterprise..." -synthizen2

The iConnect Audio2+ and 4+ will allow you to do it. .

Thanks! That should defintely do what I need, but even used at around $99 is a bit more than I'd like to spend and the size a bit bigger than I'd like for my purposes. I'm wondering if just an Apple USB Camera Connector will do what I need? Does anyone use RTPMIDI? That would get me MIDI though not audio

Well, to do this reliably, you're going to need SOME sort of interface. MIDI from the Windows machine and audio back into the Windows machine will require a MIDI/Audio interface on both boxes, unless you go for an iConnectivity option. If $99 is out of your range, things get pretty constrained; the best and most compact iOS interface that does MIDI in and audio out is the Korg plugKEY, but that's about what it costs.

You should have an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Connector Kit anyway; it lets you connect your iOS device to any kind of USB audio hardware, or evento a powered hub that listens to multiple devices, AND keeps your iOS device charged. An excellent $39 investment that's usable in many ways. (Word of warning: do not try to save $20 by buying a cheap imitation. Get the real Apple device! It has internal smarts, and gets updated periodically through iOS to maintain compliance with software changes; imitations don't do this, and eventually will simply stop working.)

If you have a spare interface lying around, the adaptor will let you use it, but if you don't and your budget for new gear really is under $99 and $39 of that is going for the adaptor, figuring out how to make it work with what's left is going to be tricky.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

+1 Dr Metlay.

Getting MIDI from PC to iPad is easy - a CCK and a USB cable.

Audio from iPad to PC needs to be considered as well - at both ends. I've seen some software solutions for this, but don't know how well they work.

This might be possible for $100, but I'm not sure that would be my recommended budget. It might be simpler to get a PC-based drummer virtual instrument for the money.

Cheers, Mike.

... PC ... send MIDI to Soft Drummer on the iPhone ...

You can try RTP-MIDI to send MIDI from the PC to the iPhone. It runs over Wifi and Ethernet. Typically you'd create an "ad-hoc Wifi network" directly on the PC and then have the iOS devices join that wifi network - connected devices will show up in Gig Performer. Let us know if you try it with Gig Performer, I'm curious how well it works on PC/Windows.

RTP-MIDI - Instructions, Download and Tutorial

https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

midi.org

https://www.midi.org/midi-articles/rtp-midi-or-midi-over-networks

... audio out of Soft Drummer to Gig Performer ...

The PC will need an audio interface or USB mixer to record the iPhone audio.