Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

question about kronos/nautilus sequencer

Hi,

trying to do basic multitrack pattern recording on the nautilus, which I assume is very similar to kronos, i know there are some users here! :)

I have a nice combi, with drums on track 1, bass on 2, piano on 3.

so I setup a 2 bar loop, mode "loop all tracks", record some drums, and now want to change track to lay down some bass.

to my astonishment, this is not possible, without first stopping the recording!

wtf, which century is this?

am i missing something here, please tell me it's possible on kronos, so I can figure out the workflow on the naut,

thanks.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hard to diagnose, Woody. Its very important to get more deep diving on Nautilus, esp for recording.

This symptom reminds me of the pattern sequencer approach where there are surprising limits.

Kronos , as we know, has a very workable linear SEQ which I use heavily to this day.

I can only guess, on Nautilus [ I don't have it] there is another menu item to discover, or that " Loop All Tracks "

is an obstacle. And that you have to Loop individual midi tracks.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

thanks, forget the nautlius for a while, is it possible on Kronos to loop record, and change tracks whilst recording, to build up the pattern or song, one track at a time?

on the nautilus, it seems I have to stop the recording to change track, the track selector on touch screen is locked whilst recording.

thanks, forget the nautlius for a while, is it possible on Kronos to loop record, and change tracks whilst recording, to build up the pattern or song, one track at a time?

on the nautilus, it seems I have to stop the recording to change track, the track selector on touch screen is locked whilst recording.

I don't 'loop' record exactly.

In SEQ mode.

lets say I have 3 midi instrument tracks recorded, 112 measures,

Midi tracks 1 thru 3. I have that existing Song file recorded.

when I am in "play " mode, for that Song file, 3 midi tracks playing, I can jump to midi channel

4 or midi channel 5,6 , whatever, no problem, and play that channel 4 or 5 etc.

However when in REC mode, I am locked out of that midi channel jumping around.

I have to start or be in midi channel 4, while midi 1 thru 3 are playing in order to record

in midi channel 4.

I guess this looks like a limit, if one is use to jamming on Combis.

Never felt a limit.

In addition, I latch the drum pattern track with the

kit on channel 10, a preselected pattern using the Drum Track feaure

This helps me

record more tracks, such as chords [ on piano ,guitar etc]

[70's Songwriter]

thanks Greg, you have a different workflow than I am trying to use, it seems you play through the entire song whilst recording, stop, and then change tracks.

my goal was to record a two bar loop, track by track. without stopping playback. something I'm sure I was doing on my Motif in 2013 if I recall.

thanks Greg, you have a different workflow than I am trying to use, it seems you play through the entire song whilst recording, stop, and then change tracks.

my goal was to record a two bar loop, track by track. without stopping playback. something I'm sure I was doing on my Motif in 2013 if I recall.

I wasn't 100% clear on my work flow. Actually, I work a song section at a time. Such as intro, [ lets say 8 bars], then a verse - 32 measures. ec etc etc. 112 bars or measures could be entire song length. I can also establish 112 as my song length.

Each section gets worked on track by track. I use copy/paste for repetition.

Occasionally I overdub an existing track.

Recording by section is probably more tedious, but this flow works for me.

Nautilus question- have you had a chance to look over the bottom hatch or cover ? Does it have

28 wood screws like Kronos ?

I am trying to discover if the internals are user accessible

such as if the SSD is accessible, potentially swap-able or even if there is a SATA 2 port

on the motherboard- which might allow a 2nd SSD install.

I know Korg is not encouraging this. Just the same, I am thinking long term and

what the potential is on internal SSD.

[70's Songwriter]

hi greg, thanks again, I just checked for you, no access hatch whatsoever underneath, just a large metal panel covering the entire base, secured with lots of screws. i didn't count them :)

one more try, woody. Kronos SEQ mode has a midi track loop tab- which I haven't used. Sorry I couldn't dig in to see whats what.

lots of screws- that sounds similar to Kronos pressed wood cover/hatch, as in un-screwing them opens up a view of the internals.

Thanks

[70's Songwriter]

It's a simple question, and the answer is no. You can't change things like track/MIDI channel when in Record. Never could on a Korg sequencer.

As an aside, this make me remember when Casio first came out with the RZ-1 drum machine. It seemed cool enough and even had sampling. When I got the first production unit here in the US to learn it I quickly found out that you couldn't change patterns while it was playing. You had to stop, choose the new pattern and then start it up again. And they wouldn't fix/change it. Fail.

Jerry

i find it shocking that recording in this manner, without interruption, is not possible on a newly released synth in 2021!

i tried to find workarounds to make the workflow slightly better.

- Record first track

- Stop the recording

- Press Play to get the music going again ASAP

- Change to next track (a pain to do on the touchscreen)

- Enter record mode - NO!! Not possible to enter record mode during playback!

Unbelievable.

I guess I'll use ableton.

BTW, changing tracks whilst recording on Korg Electribe, not a problem.

Time and time again, I attempt to use the onboard sequencers on workstations for that dream of DAWless jamming, but always turns into a nightmare.

i wish korg, yamaha, and roland would just abandon their workstation sequencers and integrate a midi/audio looper instead.

Yamaha and Roland have already basically abandoned their workstation linear sequencers. As I understand it, the sequencers in the Montage/MODX and Fantom are loop-oriented. In a nutshell, I think that's essentially why the Motif XF and FA were called workstations and the Montage and Fantom are not... no linear sequencing. (There are also other boards with various kinds of built-in looping functions, e.g. Roland VR-09/VR-730, Juno DS, and Yamaha YC.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)