Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studio desk accommodating keyboard controller- yes/no/recs

I will be moving things around in the house to allow a bigger dedicated home studio space, granting the opportunity to re-think my setup. Currently, the keyboard rack is configured in an 'L shape relative to an 27' iMac.. I have a small desk for the computer and audio monitors on stands next to the desk.

Ergonomics are important to me specifically regarding a chronic shoulder problem that flares if I use the arm in an elevated extended position. For instance, if I have to reach for the computer typing keyboard or mouse, I get pain in short order. Designs that require reaching over the music keyboard to computer keyboard would be a non-starter.

I have found that the L configuration makes it more cumbersome to use computer Plugins, so I tend to use more internal keyboard sounds. Having a dedicated music keyboard for computer plugins that is quick and ready to use is the motivation for change in setup.

For the new space I am considering a dedicated studio desk with slide-out support for an 88 key controller (or maybe a new 61 key). I could purchase or make the desk as I make furniture.

My questions are:

What are your experiences using dedicated studio desks versus a conventional desk for the computer in a home/project studio setup?

Specific comments about ergonomics would be particularly helpful.

It seems like there would be a compromise in computer or music keyboard height ergonomically. True?

Is the music keyboard stable on a slide-out support? Good/bad experiences and specific products would also be helpful.

Thx!

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up not trying to buy or build a drawer for either my 88 or 61 key controller...instead, I moved my desk up a bit (which is actually better) and then put my keyboard on a z stand that can slide out from under the desk (it's tile under my desk). Not ideal as the z can get in the way of my legs despite being set as wide as it can go.

Another way to do a drawer without doing a drawer is to build a "double desk" (two desktops) where the controller keyboard can be covered by a removable section of the top desktop. Or another way to think of it is that it's a drawer/shelf where you don't have to worry about the moving aspect of it. The controller basically sits in a hole in the desk and you uncover it as needed.

I'll be interested in what others might suggest as I dislike the L config also.

What about a desk that has the top optimized for an 88 key keyboard and a small pull-out shelf underneath for the qwerty keyboard and mouse?

Seems like an easier build since there wouldn't be much weight on the drawer and it would not need to be large so the sliders would be closer together, making it more rigid.

Dad was a cabinet maker too, woodshop tools were my "toys" and i've built quite a few cabinets.

Also, the shelf would not have to drop down as far since a computer keyboard and mouse are not as thick as most keyboards.

I just put a 25 key X-Key on my desktop, they are really compact. Probably not a solution for you since you want a bigger board.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I designed a desk which I commissioned local skilled woodworkers to build for me, and I'm delighted with the result. The desktop surface is a little higher than ideal, but I've used it for extended periods without any ergonomic problems. I researched the slider mechanism extensively and used one that was quite over-provisioned for the load. It's absolutely rock solid. More so than most of the keyboard stands I've used!

GbSl2Zf.jpg

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I designed a desk which I commissioned local skilled woodworkers to build for me

I like your design and functionality. I also commissioned a woodworker who had experience with broadcast facilities and studios, but for many, it's a financial decision, and simply not affordable.

Many options are appearing on-line these days from companies building "studio furniture" and the options are endless. But at the end of the day, you have to settle for something that works for you.

A well planned working environment can support your artistic endeavours immensely. I just completed a re-build of my studio recently, but elected to keep the L-shaped desk I had custom made 25yrs ago.

18db8fa2e395631ba175fca6681ce4e00b04b392.png

Lady Gaia-

Looks like a CP88? Which drawer slides did you end up using? Could they support something as heavy as a VPC-1 or MP-11SE (65-75 lbs)? Did you consider having a notch cut out of the shelf to allow your knees to sit closer to the key surface?

I ended up not trying to buy or build a drawer for either my 88 or 61 key controller...instead, I moved my desk up a bit (which is actually better) and then put my keyboard on a z stand that can slide out from under the desk (it's tile under my desk). Not ideal as the z can get in the way of my legs despite being set as wide as it can go.

I have a similar setup with a piece of utility mat spanning the stand. The nap of the mat is perfect for gripping Velcro that holds my pedals in place, and the whole thing slides out easily too (fir floor).

Here for the gear.

I designed a desk which I commissioned local skilled woodworkers to build for me, and I'm delighted with the result. The desktop surface is a little higher than ideal, but I've used it for extended periods without any ergonomic problems. I researched the slider mechanism extensively and used one that was quite over-provisioned for the load. It's absolutely rock solid. More so than most of the keyboard stands I've used!

From most the pictures I've seen of these type desks all the sliders look like the same ones used on rack mount servers. I've "racked and stacked" more servers that I want to remember and most companies use what looks like the same company for the sliders. Being they are designed to hold heavy servers pulled out to work on them supporting a keyboard is no big deal. The only pain was getting a fully loaded server up in the air and getting the server rail to line up with the rack side rail holder could be a pain and take two or three people to do. Only one place I worked had a server jack for lifting the servers so one person could get them on the rails.

Looks like a CP88?

Indeed it is. I was looking for an action I'd respond to first and foremost, with the ability to simply turn it on and have access to decent basic sounds for composing purposes as a highly desirable secondary consideration. Actually recording the instrument was less of an issue, I use it mostly as a controller when it comes to anything beyond an initial chord progression or melody.

Which drawer slides did you end up using?

They're from a company called Vadania. I used their 16-inch extension heavy-duty sliders so I could get to all of the controls on the top panel and get behind it for cables without too much trouble, though in practice I don't always use them at full extension. There's enough friction that I can record ideas easily with them part way out so I'm constantly moving back and forth between the computer keyboard and playing surface. For more performance-focused use they lock both fully out as well as fully in, but it turns out you can also trick them into locking so they won't slide in when they're exactly halfway out, which can be handy.

Could they support something as heavy as a VPC-1 or MP-11SE (65-75 lbs)? Did you consider having a notch cut out of the shelf to allow your knees to sit closer to the key surface?

They're spec'ed to support up to 265lbs, so I doubt weight would be an issue. I didn't consider a notch, as structural rigidity was my primary concern. The drawer is only 3/4" thick, which doesn't nearly as much as the required headroom to allow for a variety of keyboards. That's what took the VPC-1, MP-11SE, and Montage all out consideration for me. They were just too tall to make room for my knees, the drawer, the keyboard, and the desktop surface without putting the desk unacceptably high.

Looks like a CP88?

Indeed it is. I was looking for an action I'd respond to first and foremost, with the ability to simply turn it on and have access to decent basic sounds for composing purposes as a highly desirable secondary consideration. Actually recording the instrument was less of an issue, I use it mostly as a controller when it comes to anything beyond an initial chord progression or melody.

Which drawer slides did you end up using?

They're from a company called Vadania. I used their 16-inch extension heavy-duty sliders so I could get to all of the controls on the top panel and get behind it for cables without too much trouble, though in practice I don't always use them at full extension. There's enough friction that I can record ideas easily with them part way out so I'm constantly moving back and forth between the computer keyboard and playing surface. For more performance-focused use they lock both fully out as well as fully in, but it turns out you can also trick them into locking so they won't slide in when they're exactly halfway out, which can be handy.

Could they support something as heavy as a VPC-1 or MP-11SE (65-75 lbs)? Did you consider having a notch cut out of the shelf to allow your knees to sit closer to the key surface?

They're spec'ed to support up to 265lbs, so I doubt weight would be an issue. I didn't consider a notch, as structural rigidity was my primary concern. The drawer is only 3/4" thick, which doesn't nearly as much as the required headroom to allow for a variety of keyboards. That's what took the VPC-1, MP-11SE, and Montage all out consideration for me. They were just too tall to make room for my knees, the drawer, the keyboard, and the desktop surface without putting the desk unacceptably high.

Really well thought out (and beautiful) system.

I hadn"t thought about the controller height/knee issue. I often do a mock-up both in CAD and with some material before a build. I probably would have spec"d for the tallest keyboards but it makes more sense to apply a limit.

I"ve been thinking about height compromises and I guess one option is to change chair height, and the other would be to change the table height. Since the sitting/standing desk fad has taken shape, you can buy motorized desk legs (Something like this

Electric desk base/legs)

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

GbSl2Zf.jpg

This is just stunning! I have to ask - do you have formal drawings for it? I'd happily pay for a copy to get a local woodworker to do something similar. It just looks amazing...

Like your design that is what I've been look for something I can set my iMac at desk level and not elevated. Most the studio desks the desktop racks force you to put speakers, computer, and etc way up high. That doesn't work for me being I where bifocal glasses. All that wood that desk must be heavy. I've been looking at some sit-stand studio desks. I heard seen some media composers with them they say it helps when spending lots of hours at your desk.

I don't really do any mixing or "producing" here, 99% of the time I'm just tracking stuff to send off to other people. I have a bunch of vintage keyboards, and I wanted to make it as easy as possible to use the real ones, while also keeping the space flexible for hosting rehearsals in the space (if that ever happens again). And trying to spend as little time as possible in recording engineer brain.

Consequently I ended up going a different route than the typical big studio desk. My goal was to get all the "studio stuff" (interface, preamps, monitors, laptop, power, etc.) as self-contained as I could in a situation that I could roll around the room to whatever instrument I'm recording, or out of the way. I ended up settling on an 8-space shock rack with 2" foam all around and good casters that I picked up on craigslist. That was just wide enough for a FlexiSpot M8B Standing Desk Converter on top, which holds a 15" MacBook Pro, a pair of 5" monitors, and other assorted junk.

Ergonomics is crucial for me too. When I'm programming strings or other highly fiddly VI tasks, I set the Flexispot to the exact height I need to bring the laptop in just *barely* above a MIDI controller. I drilled additional holes for the z-stand pictured so I can have it as low as my knees allow, so the computer keyboard and trackpad are still at a reasonable height. When I'm tracking organ, piano, etc., I just position it off to one side and set the height where it's most comfortable. I can crank up the height of the FlexiSpot a bit if I'm playing organ, or bring it all the way up if I'm tracking accordion, singing, etc. It's a lot of stuff up top but the Flexispot mechanism has held up fine.

I have a couple of stereo DI's always patched to the UA Apollo x4 (Demeter STDB-1 down the rack, JDI Duplex up top). For the Apollo 8 Duo and the 500-series preamps down in the rack, I had Redco make a custom patch panel for easy access to the I/O.

It isn't pretty, just a big old ugly purple rack from the days way back when Sweetwater sold branded racks. Lots of cables running down the back of the desk into the rack, a power strip stuck to the top of the rack for the things up top, etc. It's definitely ten pounds in the proverbial five pound sack. Gotta roll it slow and careful, and the standing desk converter, and all the stuff up top, has anti-slip mats so they don't vibrate off while I'm rolling it around. But it works great for my needs. The most recent upgrade was one of those cheap adhesive LED strips for the underside of the desk so I could see the rack controls a bit better. I occasionally wish for a little more screen real estate but for what I do, this is workable.

http://slorg.org/kc/rack1.jpeg

http://slorg.org/kc/rack2.jpeg

http://slorg.org/kc/rack3.jpeg

This is just stunning! I have to ask - do you have formal drawings for it? I'd happily pay for a copy to get a local woodworker to do something similar. It just looks amazing...

I'd be more than happy to share, just PM me with contact information so I can send you the files. I have the original CAD drafting work that I did, the formal drawings done by the shop that built it (in PDF form only - I don't have the CNC files that they drew up to do the bulk of the work on their automated system), and I can point you to the specifications used by the metal shop that did the legs. I could refer you to the shop that did the legs, as they're stunningly well constructed with nice adjustable feet, but I expect shipping from the US mainland wouldn't be attractive. It was bad enough to Maui!

You can see most of the details of the build with a 3D model I have hosted. The only changes I think we made after this were to make the desk surface 1" thick instead of 3/4" and round the front edge of the desk with a small radius. With the model open, open the "Meshes" list and click the eye beside the Desktop_Surface mesh to hide it and see some of the internal construction. Drag anywhere on the image to spin it around so you can see cable runs.

I also have a balance study in spreadsheet form, which might be reassuring for the shop building it to understand weight distribution with the drawer in and out, but of course it's based on density of the specific materials I used and the exact leg style. Brushing off some basic Newtonian physics to reassure myself that it was going to work was just part of the entertainment of putting the project together!

All that wood that desk must be heavy.

It's not quite as heavy as you might expect, but it's not exactly lightweight either. That's part of what keeps it stable and helps with the overall balance with a keyboard tray that extends out as far as it does. I didn't actually weigh the final project, but our estimates had everything at around 110lbs without the legs. The Neumann monitors and the CP88 weigh that much again!

I'd be more than happy to share, just PM me with contact information so I can send you the files. I have the original CAD drafting work that I did, the formal drawings done by the shop that built it (in PDF form only - I don't have the CNC files that they drew up to do the bulk of the work on their automated system), and I can point you to the specifications used by the metal shop that did the legs. I could refer you to the shop that did the legs, as they're stunningly well constructed with nice adjustable feet, but I expect shipping from the US mainland wouldn't be attractive. It was bad enough to Maui!

You can see most of the details of the build with a 3D model I have hosted. The only changes I think we made after this were to make the desk surface 1" thick instead of 3/4" and round the front edge of the desk with a small radius. With the model open, open the "Meshes" list and click the eye beside the Desktop_Surface mesh to hide it and see some of the internal construction. Drag anywhere on the image to spin it around so you can see cable runs.

I also have a balance study in spreadsheet form, which might be reassuring for the shop building it to understand weight distribution with the drawer in and out, but of course it's based on density of the specific materials I used and the exact leg style. Brushing off some basic Newtonian physics to reassure myself that it was going to work was just part of the entertainment of putting the project together!

All that wood that desk must be heavy.

It's not quite as heavy as you might expect, but it's not exactly lightweight either. That's part of what keeps it stable and helps with the overall balance with a keyboard tray that extends out as far as it does. I didn't actually weigh the final project, but our estimates had everything at around 110lbs without the legs. The Neumann monitors and the CP88 weigh that much again!

Wonderful and thanks - I will PM you :)

In another thread here, the below video was referenced. I'm considering doing something similar. However, I play to buy a QWERTY keyboard tray that mounts on the table surface to put it at the correct ergonomic height when I'm not using the musical keyboard. When I use the musical keyboard, I'll just unmount the QWERTY tray and put it on top of the desk.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My questions are:

What are your experiences using dedicated studio desks versus a conventional desk for the computer in a home/project studio setup?

Specific comments about ergonomics would be particularly helpful.

It seems like there would be a compromise in computer or music keyboard height ergonomically. True?

Is the music keyboard stable on a slide-out support? Good/bad experiences and specific products would also be helpful.

Thx!

This is my current setup:

vHN8QIL.jpg

I used to have an OmniRaxx setup with a sliding QWERTY kbd tray under the desk. That was horrid- the desk was too high for the kbd and the QWERTY kbd was too low & awkward to use. In my current setup, the keyboard (A88) is so shallow that reaching the QWERTY kbd is not an issue in terms of being uncomfortable... but I'm only using it for DAW use, I'm not writing a book with it.

Most of what you see with the desk is a hodge podge of things I got for next to nothing. An old office desk top. Some old decommissioned racks that with the help of some DIY blocks were the same height as the drawer unit under the desk on the far left. The shelf that the keyboard slides under that the QWERTY kbd sits on is painted 1/4" plywood with 1" x 4" sides. The most expensive part (not pictured) is the chair, because it needed to be higher than a standard office chair, but a drafting chair was too high, so I had to custom order something. Ergonomically, it's very functional. It's not as classy as some, but I'm not embarrassed to have clients see it, and that has to be a consideration if you make a living with this stuff!

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I don't know what I'm going to do if/when the hutch I'm using right now breaks. It comes from the era when people on computers worked from paper documents all the time, so there's a hinged shelf that lies at a 45º angle from the keyboard tray up to where the monitors sit. I currently have my Linnstrument, Arturia MicroFreak, and iPad mini sitting on it; the ergonomics are just about perfect. Naturally, you can't get these any more.

DocShelf.jpeg?dl=0

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Mind if I ask about the sliders? They appear to have a blue switch at the tip of them...is this a locking mechanism? And if so it it a fix position one or adjustable? I'm looking at doing the same thing for a few months now but just trying to get the right drawer sliders. Thanks.

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

Mind if I ask about the sliders? They appear to have a blue switch at the tip of them...is this a locking mechanism? And if so it it a fix position one or adjustable? I'm looking at doing the same thing for a few months now but just trying to get the right drawer sliders. Thanks.

The blue levers are used to unlock the sliders, which lock when fully retracted - and can optionally also lock at full extension (swapping the left for right defeats this behavior if desired.) There is no other adjustment available. I have, however, found that you can 'trick' the sliders into engaging the full-extension lock when they"re only half-way out. This means you can"t push the drawer in past the half-way point without unlocking them, but it will still slide out to full extension where the other half of the lock engages.