Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

Say, did anyone already post here previously about the Keeley ECCOS pedal? Dannyalcatraz, hurricane hugo, Winston Psmith, I'm lookin' at you... ;) Anyone? Anyone? Keeley ECCOS? Anyone? ;)

I'm kinda curious about and interested in that ECCOS... Is there an ECCOS in here?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Just clicked on the link to check it out. I hadn't seen the ECCOS? In concept, it seems a little like the Catalinbread Echorec, though maybe more Zappa than Gilmour, in terms of the Modulation.

Very nice sounds in the demo video. My main concern is that they've repeated Line 6's mistake, by assigning the same switch to both 1/2 Speed & Reverse for the Looper? That made for some awkward switching on the Line 6 DL4. Still, at $249, I'd probably save another $50 to get something from Red Panda.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Just clicked on the link to check it out. I hadn't seen the ECCOS? In concept, it seems a little like the Catalinbread Echorec, though maybe more Zappa than Gilmour, in terms of the Modulation.

Very nice sounds in the demo video.

Judging by some demo-videos, I'm really digging the ECCOS' ability to do looping duties* while still having echo available AND virtual tape-reel flanging and related effects, the reverse functions being icing on the cake; on top of THAT, full stereo Ins, as well Outs, really appeals to me.

My main concern is that they've repeated Line 6's mistake, by assigning the same switch to both 1/2 Speed & Reverse for the Looper? That made for some awkward switching on the Line 6 DL4.

I would hear more on that, Goode Sir...

Still, at $249, I'd probably save another $50 to get something from Red Panda.

Winston- what offerings from Red Panda are similar?

*Here's the demo-video that primed my potential G.A.S., particularly the looping demonstrations beginning around 8:24:

[video:youtube]

Like WPS, that"s a new one to me, Caev.

As for pedal preferences...well, these guys said something a while back that applies...

giphy.gif

I want it all, and I want it now!

Alas, I am not a country, and cannot (legally) print money. sigh

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I'm expecting a Foxgear Echoes Delay Guitar Effect Pedal, which is supposed to deliver a convincing imitation of a Binson Echorec, for much less than the Catalinbread Echorec. I'll be interested to see if I can get "One Of These Days" out of it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I'm expecting a Foxgear Echoes Delay Guitar Effect Pedal, which is supposed to deliver a convincing imitation of a Binson Echorec, for much less than the Catalinbread Echorec. I'll be interested to see if I can get "One Of These Days" out of it.

I'm looking forward to your report on that, picker!

I've got a blue Akai Headrush E2, Delay/Looper/Tape Echo emulator. Can't swear as to how accurate the Tape Head Emulation is, but it has 5 Output jacks, one each for 4 "virtual" Tape Heads, and a Mix Out.

If you've got a bunch of Amps lying around, it would be big fun to send each Out Jack to a different Amp, create your own "Surround Sound" effect.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

• 4 weeks later...
My main concern is that they've repeated Line 6's mistake, by assigning the same switch to both 1/2 Speed & Reverse for the Looper? That made for some awkward switching on the Line 6 DL4.

I would hear more on that, Goode Sir...

In Loop mode, on the big green DL4, the same switch serves to control Half Speed Playback (which can also function as Double Speed Playback, depending on how you use it) and Reverse Playback. A single tap of the switch took you from Half to Normal Speed, and back again, a quick double-tap got you into Reverse Playback. It takes care and a bit of practice to manage it, but it still makes for some awkward footwork, and occasionally, some interesting glitches. Seeing that the Eccos has doubled up on the 1/2 Speed/Reverse switch, I have to wonder?

Still, at $249, I'd probably save another $50 to get something from Red Panda.

Winston- what offerings from Red Panda are similar?

The closest thing they offer to a Tape Echo is their Tensor, which emulates some of the Tape Forward/Stop/Reverse tricks from the Digitech Space Station; it's not exactly a Tape Echo Emulator, more of a Freak Box. You need an Expression Pedal, to get the full benefit of those effects, but the Tensor is on my longer wish list, right next to the EQD Data Corrupter.

Have we done this one yet?

I was expecting a pedal demo-video...

That"s vexsome!

Haahh! It was some silly "Breaking Bad Remix (Seasons 3-5)" music video... ! :laugh::D

Trying again:

That's cool. (To answer your earlier question posted above, I think it's been brought up here in this thread before, but Idunno fersher, 'scool.)

That seems to sound pretty cool there! Though the rightmost pedal-section would be of nearly no use to me- its effectively being (see what I did there? ;) ) "the other" kind of 'octave-up', that digitally-derived Electro-Harmonix/DigiTech Whammy variety that I just don't care for (though this is a very good version of that type). It's just one of those types of things that many people use to great effect ( ;) ) and that I'll take a different approach from to a similar end- namely, analog octave-up fuzz based more or less on vintage designs like the fOXX Tone Machine, Octavia/Octavio, and Dan Armstrong Green Ringer. I've touted and tooted my beloved Foxrox Octron, Fulltone Octron, and Lastgasp Art Laboratories Octavella Feedback Fuzz around these parts plenty of times...

Now, that octave-down (or izzitt a sub-octave, two-octaves down?) sounds lardacious and almost analog-like. It sounds pretty solid. I can dig it.

Maybe those digital octave-up sounds are less pleasing to me than similar octave-down schemes because the octave-up gives more opportunity for what I perceive as a flinty, chirpy, brittle tone (and this Triplegraph sounds considerably less so than others).

Hmm, I'd like to A/B the Triplegraph with the Electro-Harmonix B9 and C9 Organ Machines, and also my Foxrox Octron, all fed through my Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble Leslie-sim pedal, occasionally with one overdrive/distortion pedal or another in-between.

• 2 weeks later...

The other day, I saw that GC has the Pigtronix Resotron (Resonant Filter) and the Mothership 2 (Analog Synth Pedal) on sale for $129.99, down from $250.

It looks like Pigtronix is making changes to their pedal line once again - a lot of them are in long, narrow enclosures now - and I suspect the Mothership & Resotron are about to be discontinued/replaced? Pigtronix already has a more compact Synth Pedal they're calling the Space Rip.

Another long day of landscaping ahead, but if I get an hour to myself, I'm heading up to my nearest GC to pick up a Resotron.

Good! Nab that Resotron, and enjoy it!

I look forward to your review and maybe even clips or vids. :cool:

lightbulb.gif Throw some rambunctious EBow playing at it... ! :rawk:

• 2 weeks later...
+1 on having a dry/wet blend control, (missing on every other Leslie pedal I've seen). -1 on not having a drive control, (distortion is a crucial part of that sound).

My Boss RT-20 Rotary ensemble Leslie/rotary-sim pedal has separate "Effect" and "Direct" Level controls, that can be used to great effect (yyyeeeaah, pun INtended)...

Great pedal, and Gary Moore used one when he played Hendrix' "Angel" for his 'Blues for Jimi' concert event and DVD, and he sounded AWESOME.

Foolin' around with my RT-20, I found some cool ways to get some resonant, cabinet-sim, peaky mid honk, weird very small-room 'verb, and unusual tones not unlike a comb-filter or a flanger fixed in one point of its LFO-sweep. With the RT-20's Overdrive off, engage the "Brake" (step on both footswitches together to stop the virtual rotary motion; the swirling- lights will slow to a halt, and the "SLOW/FAST" LED will blink), mix the Effect, Direct, and Balance Level controls to taste. I was surprised to find that mixing-in the Direct higher than the Effect was what REALLY brought the honk on, tailored and fine-tuned by the Effect and Balance knobs...

This probably works best when the RT-20 is used in an amp's effects-loop, or placed late in-line in a signal-chain going direct to a 'board/PA/recording-interface/headphones/etc.; but certainly try it in front of an amp, too, probably best placed last or near the last in a chain of pedals. I have mine in the amp's effects-loop, just before echo and reverb/tremolo pedals...

There is a wide range of cool and quirky tonal effects to be found there! I first stumbled upon something akin to Jimmy Page's 'mics down the chimney/amp in the fireplace' tones in "Houses of the Holy" from Physical Graffiti. I also found some nice cab-sim tones evoking some of the thump, resonance and damping of a closed-back cab.

Using the RT-20 this way might be excellent following an OD/Dist pedal, preamp, or an amp's line-out for direct recording or PA/monitors/headphones... Good with clean or overdriven/distorted tones, great followed by reverb and/or echo and/or tremolo... Many settings will sound great when the rotary-motion is 'un-Braked' and in play, as well!

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/images/products/gallery/rt_20_gal.jpg

Foolin' around with my RT-20, I found some cool ways to get some resonant, cabinet-sim, peaky mid honk, weird very small-room 'verb, and unusual tones not unlike a comb-filter or a flanger fixed in one point of its LFO-sweep. With the RT-20's Overdrive off, engage the "Brake" (step on both footswitches together to stop the virtual rotary motion; the swirling- lights will slow to a halt, and the "SLOW/FAST" LED will blink), mix the Effect, Direct, and Balance Level controls to taste. I was surprised to find that mixing-in the Direct higher than the Effect was what REALLY brought the honk on, tailored and fine-tuned by the Effect and Balance knobs...

What you're describing sounds almost like a Filter effect, with some added flavoring.

What you're describing sounds almost like a Filter effect, with some added flavoring.

It seems and does actually sound very much in line with filtering effects; I believe that there are a variety of delay-based, amplitude-based, frequency-based, and 'EQ-based' (filter?) parameters going on within the RT-20's Leslie-simulation, and at least a couple of those when that virtual Leslie-rotation has the Brake put on, stopping its perceived motion with the virtual rotary-cabinets speakers facing forward in the stereo imaging. Blending the Effect and Direct levels and adjusting the balance between its virtual woofer/rotor and tweeter/turntable rubs up emphasis and cancellations, I'd guess.

It sounds really cool and is quite variable.

Seems like a lot of tone-shaping options, even with the LFO disengaged.

Funny thing, the Boss website is showing the RT-20 as "discontinued", but Sweetwater is still showing it, just waiting for more to ship from Boss?

Funny thing, the Boss website is showing the RT-20 as "discontinued", but Sweetwater is still showing it, just waiting for more to ship from Boss?

'Six o' one, half a-dozen o' th' other'... I'm sure that they're discontinued, AND that there are probably still a lot left in stock. I keep seeing ads in my email about the Boss RT-20 with one retailor or another...

It's a great pedal, and given the little tricks I've found like the "Jimmy Page mics in the chimney/amp in the fireplace", it might behoove me to get a back-up sometime. But no hurry.

If I needed to get another Leslie sim pedal in particular, I'd probably pop the extra bucks for a Neo Ventilator 2; but the Boss RT-20 is pretty damn good, and has served me VERY well.

My Boss RT-20 Rotary ensemble Leslie/rotary-sim pedal has separate "Effect" and "Direct" Level controls, that can be used to great effect (yyyeeeaah, pun INtended)...

Good to know. Interestingly, that feature is available on a, what, 20 year old pedal, but not the newer EHX or boutique Leslie pedals. Also interestingly, the Melda plug in I use with Pro Tools or Digital Performer, called Vintage Rotary, providing very detailed models of several Leslie models & allowing all kinds of control not existing on the originals, has no wet/dry effect control. Also the Logic X rotary plug in included in Mainstage, used to provide all the effects for the live Kronos gigs, is similarly not equipped. It just means you have to use a mixer send & return set up to get the blend desired. I guess the reasoning is that the actual physical Leslies didn't have an effect blend control, so why should the accurate model of a Leslie have one? But, sez I, the advantage of software is you get to have things which never existed in the physical or vintage world, so why not include them?

Scott Fraser

Also sounds like the effect I used to use a lot a gazillion years ago (i.e. late 1970s) with my EHX Electric Mistress flanger. You could turn the LFO off, crank the resonance, & sweep the delay to find truly alien metallic clanky weirdness.

Scott Fraser

@Scott Fraser - The Deluxe Electric Mistress still has the Filter Matrix switch, which disengages the LFO. The slightly less expensive Stereo Electric Mistress claims to do the same thing, maybe by turning the Flanger Rate to Zero?

Also sounds like the effect I used to use a lot a gazillion years ago (i.e. late 1970s) with my EHX Electric Mistress flanger. You could turn the LFO off, crank the resonance, & sweep the delay to find truly alien metallic clanky weirdness.

@Scott Fraser - The Deluxe Electric Mistress still has the Filter Matrix switch, which disengages the LFO. The slightly less expensive Stereo Electric Mistress claims to do the same thing, maybe by turning the Flanger Rate to Zero?

I can do that with my old 1979 MXR M-117 Flanger, and my old AC-powered TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger; both are really great for that, and each have their own different sort of overall character when doing so.

However, while this 'trick' with the RT-20 is 'sort-of' like that, it is different, and also particularly cool in its own right.