Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pat Metheny Group: 1982 Montreal show

Friend of mine sent this to me. For some reason I didn't realize he used a Prophet 5, and what sounds he used it for - but it's fairly clear here - the descending bubble sound and the kind of flute sound that bends its pitch down as the envelope releases (not the same as his famous ocarina/recorder lead tone. There's also a brief glimpse of a headless guitar synth/controller - sounds like Pat was triggering his Synclavier FM tones with it but not sure:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLRTJyTpEYk

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I heard he recreated his ocarina sound on the Prophet and other synths that he later bought.

He has another flute-like lead that he uses which is not his ocarina sound. It's featured on "The Bat Part 2". You can hear the pitch go down as he releases the key on the Prophet.

Great video. RIP Lyle. Such an inspiring synthesist and musician.

Is the flute lead on "the Bat" the same one he uses on "Are you going with me?" I read somewhere that it's done with a slow lfo, though it sounds like a descending envelope. Or perhaps he had families of similar lead sounds?

Is the flute lead on "the Bat" the same one he uses on "Are you going with me?" I read somewhere that it's done with a slow lfo, though it sounds like a descending envelope. Or perhaps he had families of similar lead sounds?

Listening to this for review, to me he sounds like he leads off with the "Prophet 5" flute with that downward pitch bend, then switches to the Obie ocarina, then the Synclavier FM harmonica for the solo. The first of the 3 lead tones is the sound of "The Bat" - really, "The Bat Part II" - to my ears.

[video:youtube]

As he explained it to me it was most definitely an envelope.

Jerry