Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone Recording with Audacity?

Some old friends from a high school band recently contacted me to do some recording. Since we are scattered over the country this will be virtual using Audacity software. Bass player and drummer have been able to connect to their computers but I have not been successful. First attempt was with a 1/4" to USB cord from the line out of my Yamaha S90 XS to my Dell inspiron laptop. Although the LED on the cord flashes when I play, and I see a signal when I test microphone on the Windows 10 Settings--> Sound, page, I do not hear any sound through the laptop speakers or external amp and speakers via the lap's headphone jack. And there is no presence in Audacity. Audacity shows it is recording when I hit the record icon, but obviously it is not getting the input. I also tried 1/4" to 1/8 stereo" from S90 to lap headphone with same result. Those two methods for connection come right out of the Audacity users manual. I have messed with the windows and Audacity settings but to no avail.

The guys have been successful in recording, editing, overdubbing, and marrying tracks so we need to all be on the same platform. Cant figure out what I am missing or doing wrong!

Anyone have any experience with Audacity or recording in general that may shed some light on this?

BTW this is not a "Duh" moment. Speakers are not muted on the laptop :rolleyes:

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the way most accomplish what you want to do is with an audio interface.

If you're running mono you can use something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QR6Z1JB

If you want to run stereo, use this upgraded version:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QR73T66

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

I would be running mono. But I have 2 keyboards. Can I assume the stereo version would work for that? It looks like there are two 1/4" inputs on the front panel.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

I would think so, since the purpose is to be able to record multiple channels simultaneously, whether it's two different instruments/microphones or a L/R channel from a stereo source.

https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-2i2

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

I think the way most accomplish what you want to do is with an audio interface.

Huh, I was assuming that's what the "1/4" to USB cord" was. Or is it a DAC like you'd use to get a headphone out on a phone with only USB?

The only audio jack on a recent Inspiron is probably a TRRS phone/mic jack, which would explain why just connecting it to a keyboard output wouldn't work. A cable to break out mic and headphone jacks like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I3A47I4/ might do it, but yes, an audio interface would be more useful.

Yes, you could record mono from two keyboards simultaneously with the two-input version. Alternatively, you could record them one at a time. Or you could run the output from one to the line in of the other and record both at once onto a single track, but then you lose the ability to do things like adjust the balance of the two tracks after the fact, or overdub just one of the two tracks.

I use audacity on a PC laptop. I needed a USB audio interface to connect a line out from my keyboard setup, alternatively you can use a USB microphone to mic up your amp. But yeah, a direct line requires an interface.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

Thank you all for your input!

Stan

If the MOX8 is available, it has a built-in USB audio interface. Here's how to use it...

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_basic_audio_recording

If the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver for Windows 10 isn't already installed on your computer, it can be downloaded here:

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/index.html?c=music_production&k=MOX

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Dumb question, but a small mixer with USB output would do the trick, yes?

Yes. I'm looking at getting a 10 channel yamaha mixer with USB out, and that will act as a 2-channel audio interface.

Dumb question, but a small mixer with USB output would do the trick, yes?

Yes. I'm looking at getting a 10 channel yamaha mixer with USB out, and that will act as a 2-channel audio interface.

Yep me too. I'm needing (If I EVER get back to gigging) a small mixer with a couple of mic pres and a couple of stereo channels. Since my recording Mac Pro went belly up a few months back, I thought I'd get something that has a USB ouput as well to record a few things into my laptop.....two birds with one stone, and all that.....

Yes, I use a USB mixer direct to Audacity on Windows. No audio interface. Works flawlessly.

The mixer is the audio interface, or should say contains an audio interface along mixer section.

Yes of course, I just meant that I'm using no dedicated standalone audio interface. Sound quality is more than good enough from what I can judge, and there are only some very occasional glitches, which most probably are caused by my old slow laptop, rather than the USB mixer.

Yes, I use a USB mixer direct to Audacity on Windows. No audio interface. Works flawlessly.

The mixer is the audio interface, or should say contains an audio interface along mixer section.

Yes of course, I just meant that I'm using no dedicated standalone audio interface. Sound quality is more than good enough from what I can judge, and there are only some very occasional glitches, which most probably are caused by my old slow laptop, rather than the USB mixer.

If you can run direct audio to your headphones instead of "round trip" audio (which is the playback of what has been recorded), then you can increase your latency which will reduce or eliminate glitches.

First, try increasing latency. If there is no "delay" of your live tracks then you are already there. If glitches continue try increasing latency until they go away. If they don't go away then it isn't your laptop.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Which mixer do you use?

Stan

I've user various, from a tiny Alesis Multimix 4, to a Behringer Q1202USB, now I've settled on a Yamaha MG12XU.

All worked fine. Maybe the Behringer was infinitesimally more noisy. The Yamaha's build quality is top notch, as with anything Yamaha.

Good to hear you like the MG12XU. I'm getting the MG10XU. I wish the 10 channel had the sliders and mute buttons like yours, but for the money it's a great deal.