Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MAudio Hammer 88 Pro

maudio-hammer88-3-1024x565.jpg

[video:youtube]

https://m-audio.com/hammer-88-pro

Dimensions

56.0' x 11.1' x 5.0'

142.2 x 28.2 x 12.7 cm

Weight

40.8 lbs.

18.5 kg

Key Features

Best-in-class 88 graded hammer-action keys with aftertouch and assignable zones

(16) RGB, backlit, assignable, velocity-sensitive pads with Note Repeat for beat production, clip launching, and more

(8) assignable knobs & buttons for controlling virtual instruments, mix plugins, DAW controls, and more

(9) assignable faders for controlling virtual instruments, plugins, DAW faders, and more

Preset and DAW buttons for auto-mapped DAW controls & plugin parameters

Smart Chord mode enables playing of enharmonic or custom chord voicings

Smart Scale mode eliminates wrong notes making it easy to craft a perfect song

Arpeggiator with Type, Octave, Gate and Swing controls

Ergonomically designed pitch and modulation wheels & (3) footswitch pedal inputs and (1) expression pedal input

USB-MIDI connection and 5-pin MIDI Input and Output for connecting to external MIDI gear

Intuitive layout featuring an OLED screen for quick control edits

Includes music rest, MIDI editor software and a complete software production package

$799

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's an "enharmonic...chord voicing"?

Like enharmonic notes a C# and Db are two names for the same note they are enharmonic. I'm assuming since you set the key you're in it uses the correct chord name/type for chords based on the key signature.

Wow! What timing. I was just wishing the Hammer 88 (regular) had more controllers. It's going to be between this and a Komplete Kontrol S88 for me.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Why would one get this if an RD-88 is not much more expensive?

It might have a better action, it has way more controllers (faders and pads particularly), and if one cares about pitch/mod placement it has those at the left of the keys as well.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

What's an "enharmonic...chord voicing"?

Like enharmonic notes a C# and Db are two names for the same note they are enharmonic. I'm assuming since you set the key you're in it uses the correct chord name/type for chords based on the key signature.

I know what enharmonic means. I didn't understand it in the context of a controller. Does it display chord names/voicings?

Cheers, Mike.

I've been burned way too many times with M-Audio gear. I had a ProKeys 88 that the G4 key was dead after 6 months, the keys turned mustard yellow in the case in my closet after a year of storage. Out of about 5 pieces of M-Audio gear I can name off the top of my head only a set of 5 inch powered monitors lasted or worked as advertised. I haven't bought anything from them in nearly 10 years since the ProKeys but I'm not willing to spend my money to see if their quality has changed.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Why would one get this if an RD-88 is not much more expensive?

$800 vs $1300. Or if you want sliders, trigger pads, or aftertouch.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've been burned way too many times with M-Audio gear. I had a ProKeys 88 that the G4 key was dead after 6 months, the keys turned mustard yellow in the case in my closet after a year of storage. Out of about 5 pieces of M-Audio gear I can name off the top of my head only a set of 5 inch powered monitors lasted or worked as advertised. I haven't bought anything from them in nearly 10 years since the ProKeys but I'm not willing to spend my money to see if their quality has changed.

I watched an older EWF concert where their keyboard player was using an M-Audio controller without issue. Maybe you got duds, or are more particular than he was.

I watched an older EWF concert where their keyboard player was using an M-Audio controller without issue. Maybe you got duds, or are more particular than he was.

I've only had one piece of M-Audio gear - an SP-2 sustain pedal. Worked fine for about four years, then failed. I believe it's an issue with the internal cable connection. I've never had any other pedals fail, but to be fair, I know others have had all manner of pedal failures with many brands.

I just purchased a mint Code 61. Has all of the controllers on it that I need; 11 pounds. This beast is 41 pounds. Allot of weight for just a controller.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I wish controller manufacturers could sort out a form factor that puts knobs above sliders while still keeping the buttons below the sliders.

Or perhaps give us longer throw sliders in one section with a separate knob/switch section.

And a pony.

I make software noises.

I wish controller manufacturers could sort out a form factor that puts knobs above sliders while still keeping the buttons below the sliders.

Arturia Keylab Mk II, Akai MPK261, Nektar Panorama P, Viscount K4/K5, Kurzweil PC4/PC4-7

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Arturia Keylab Mk II, Akai MPK261, Nektar Panorama P, Viscount K4/K5, Kurzweil PC4/PC4-7

side note: arturia's design choice to put faders on the right and drum pads on the left is irksome for what otherwise looks like a decent line of controllers.

catalog-image.png

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I just purchased a mint Code 61. Has all of the controllers on it that I need; 11 pounds. This beast is 41 pounds. Allot of weight for just a controller.

It's the hammer action that adds the weight and all hammers action board weigh more. A Montage workstation is 61 lbs, my StudioLogic SL88 Grand controller with hammer action weight as much as my RD-2000 and it a full stage piano. You want acoustic piano feel on a keyboard it's going to be heavy.

• 2 weeks later...
So, what is the keybed? TP100L ?? Just like the M-Audio hammer 88 ? The reviewer doesn't say.

The Hammer 88 has a Medeli K6 keybed AFAIK. I think the Pro has a different keybed because it's graded and has aftertouch.

Definitely not the TP100LR as reviewers say it's not an heavy action.

Yamaha MODX7 | iPad Mini 2 | Raspberry Pi 3

The Kurzweil PC4 is graded (with aftertouch), while the SP6 one is not.

So I"m thinking the Kurz PC4 and M-Audio Hammer Pro have a Medeli K6S action, while the Kurz SP6 and M-Audio Hammer have the base K6.

It's actually heavy for a board with Medelli action (which I'm not a fan of anyway). 40 lbs should deliver something like a Yamaha NW-GH or a Kawai RHIII quality if it's in a plastic chassis with an external power supply.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

It's actually heavy for a board with Medelli action (which I'm not a fan of anyway). 40 lbs should deliver something like a Yamaha NW-GH or a Kawai RHIII quality if it's in a plastic chassis with an external power supply.

I believe it"s a metal chassis/build.