Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Random audio question...

The other day at the music store I got a TRS cable with R and L on one side and just one plug on the other side. I plug the R and L side into my keyboard and the other side goes into my

A) Audio Interface if I'm at home recording things

or

B) DI Box if at a gig.

My question is how is this different from just having a TRS with one one plug on each side. Does it convert the stereo magic to one channel? So is it still technically stereo?

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you're describing an 'insert' cable- plug the TRS end into an 'insert' socket on the back of a mixer and the 'R and L' ends into the in and out jacks of an outboard processor. The TRS carries the signal out of the mixer and back in again after it passes through the processor. This isn't what you want for a keyboard cable as a rule- pick a format, either TRS (for 'balanced' connection to a balanced input) or TR for an unbalanced input. If you want stereo, get two.

Sounds like you're describing an 'insert' cable- plug the TRS end into an 'insert' socket on the back of a mixer and the 'R and L' ends into the in and out jacks of an outboard processor. The TRS carries the signal out of the mixer and back in again after it passes through the processor. This isn't what you want for a keyboard cable as a rule- pick a format, either TRS (for 'balanced' connection to a balanced input) or TR for an unbalanced input. If you want stereo, get two.

thanks for replying. so it doesn't belong with a keyboard? that's interesting - it sounds pretty good at least.

Can you tell me what kind of cable you recommend then?

The input jack on your interface isn't stereo, so all that's happening is you're just getting one channel from your keyboard into the audio interface. The same as if you plugged in a standard 1/4" to 1/4 cable. You just need to regular 1/4" to 1/4 cables to record both channels from the keyboard I(ie..e stereo).

The insert cable you bought is only for connecting specific types of equipment, so you should take it back if you can. It falls into the "if you don't know what it's for, you probably don't need it" category.

The input jack on your interface isn't stereo, so all that's happening is you're just getting one channel from your keyboard into the audio interface. The same as if you plugged in a standard 1/4" to 1/4 cable. You just need to regular 1/4" to 1/4 cables to record both channels from the keyboard I(ie..e stereo).

The insert cable you bought is only for connecting specific types of equipment, so you should take it back if you can. It falls into the "if you don't know what it's for, you probably don't need it" category.

Got it! Thanks for divulging.. I'm a little curious about what "specific types of equipment" one would use it for? But as it is, I'll just hold on to it. I have other TS/TRS cables to use if needed and this one doesn't seem to be hurting anybody/thing (unless I am mistaken).

First, if your headphone jack is 1/4", you can plug the TRS cable into that jack and the two cables to separate channels of a mixer or recording interface.

That would be full stereo - to get the widest effect pan the two channels fully left and right.

As an insert cable, you would plug the TRS into a single jack that has both send and return. The send cable is usually from the tip of the TRS, that goes into the input of an audio processor - a compressor or EQ or other signal processor. The return cable will send from the tip of the TS (Tip Sleeve) cable to the R (Ring) of the TRS cable, that cable is connected to the audio output jack on the signal processor.

That's 2 ways to use it, there might be another.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Just because I'm a pernickety old sonofagun, that should be

either TRS (for 'balanced' connection to a balanced input) or TS for an unbalanced input

Tip-ring-sleeve or Tip-sleeve.

Your post is correct though :thu:

Cheers. Mike.

If the cable has TRS on one side and only one other end with TS, it could be the ring of the 3 part plug is connected to the ground of the other plug, by an wire actually going the length of the cable to connect to the sleeve of the distant plug in that plug itself. This has as advantage that the ground current is compensated for by using the TRS side on a balanced input.

Alternatively, it coul dbe the ring isn't connected at all to not short out the negative phase side of a balanced output when connecting to an unbalanced input.

You could check it out with a continuity tester (a multi meter) where the sleeve connects to.

T.

It's a splitter cable, stereo TRS to two mono TS connectors. So the two mono cables one will be right only other will be left only.

I"ve never seen a use case for 1/4' stereo splits, though.

As an insert cable, yes, and I have an Effexon ring mod/distortion unit that has TRS jacks for multiple control voltages.

But I"ve only ever seen a combined stereo jack on headphone outs, and I wouldn"t want to patch those into another device...

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

It's a splitter cable, stereo TRS to two mono TS connectors. So the two mono cables one will be right only other will be left only.

I"ve never seen a use case for 1/4' stereo splits, though.

As an insert cable, yes, and I have an Effexon ring mod/distortion unit that has TRS jacks for multiple control voltages.

But I"ve only ever seen a combined stereo jack on headphone outs, and I wouldn"t want to patch those into another device...

Remember I played guitar 60 years before touching a keyboard so used them for two amps for stereo setup, or for two amps one clean and other for pedals going to a second amp. Anytime you wanted to split the sides to process each differently.

I'm a little curious about what "specific types of equipment" one would use it for? But as it is, I'll just hold on to it. I have other TS/TRS cables to use if needed and this one doesn't seem to be hurting anybody/thing (unless I am mistaken).

I use this cable to connect the TS L/R Monitor outs from my Key Largo to the 1/4' TRS Stereo input on my Rolls PM55P mixer. I use the XLR Mic input on the Rolls for an aux feed from the main sound board. That way, I can always hear my keys in stereo, and I"m not dependent on the sound guy or the monitor mix app on my phone.

Also, I can use it to take the TRS stereo out (which doubles as a headphone jack) from my Casio CT-X700 to the L/R inputs for a channel on the Key Largo..

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

I'm a little curious about what "specific types of equipment" one would use it for? But as it is, I'll just hold on to it. I have other TS/TRS cables to use if needed and this one doesn't seem to be hurting anybody/thing (unless I am mistaken).

I use this cable to connect the TS L/R Monitor outs from my Key Largo to the 1/4' TRS Stereo input on my Rolls PM55P mixer. I use the XLR Mic input on the Rolls for an aux feed from the main sound board. That way, I can always hear my keys in stereo, and I"m not dependent on the sound guy or the monitor mix app on my phone.

Also, I can use it to take the TRS stereo out (which doubles as a headphone jack) from my Casio CT-X700 to the L/R inputs for a channel on the Key Largo..

Thanks for all the replies! I suppose I can take the single TRS end and put in the headphone/stereo out of my keyboard and then plug the L/R into inputs 1/2 of my audio interface, viola! stereo? I think...?

Does your keyboard not have regular outputs on it? It almost certainly already has a left and right output that you plug into the two inputs of your audio interface. Yes, you could use that cable, but the headphone output is amplified, so you're going to be introducing at least some level of noise. Unless you have a really specific need for that cable, the cables you already have, and the outputs that are made for them are the best tools for the job.

One example of a keyboard that would use such a cable:

Roland FA series workstations have a 1/4" stereo sub-out socket. (as opposed to two separate mono sub-out 3 and sub-out 4 sockets)

You would use an "insert" style cable - like the one you bought - to split it to separate L and R male plugs to connect to a mixer, etc.

Does your keyboard not have regular outputs on it? It almost certainly already has a left and right output that you plug into the two inputs of your audio interface. Yes, you could use that cable, but the headphone output is amplified, so you're going to be introducing at least some level of noise. Unless you have a really specific need for that cable, the cables you already have, and the outputs that are made for them are the best tools for the job.

It does have regular! Just testing the waters... :)

It seemed to sound pretty good that way (possibly because it's amplified like you said), and slightly different from using the regular outputs. But I guess that's the wrong way to go.

Dave needs to place this into the Hall of Fame Threads for all of the responses.

It can be used as a:

a) Stereo Plug to Left and Right Mono signals which can be used 45 different ways from Sunday since we were 14 years old at Radio Shack.

or

b) A mixer insert plug to be used as 5 people have explained above.

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

When the right channel output jack on my Privia (PX-5S) started to fail, I took a 10' (3 meter) insert cable, plugged the TRS into one of the Privia headphone jacks, and then plugged the Tip TS into my home PA's left input channel, and the Ring (Ring == Right Channel == Red wire) into the PA's right input channel. Works fine, and buys me time until I feel like opening the bugger up and futzing with the bad jack.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

The headphone output will be louder, which always sounds "better", and there could also be an impedance difference which makes it sound different than the line level outputs; but there's a reason you don't go into studios (professional or otherwise) and see keyboards connected via the headphone jack (unless the other jacks aren't working).

You seem to really want to find a use for this cable, and no one's going to stop you, but you already have the right (and better) cables for the job, and you'll probably never have a need for this particular cable. The first response (from Werno) describes the most common use for these cables (as an insert on a mixer), and even if you have a mixer with insert jacks, a compressor is about the only logical thing you'd connect via an insert.

It does have regular! Just testing the waters... :)

It seemed to sound pretty good that way (possibly because it's amplified like you said), and slightly different from using the regular outputs. But I guess that's the wrong way to go.

I've got a Roland Handsonic that I picked up used (and cheap). The previous owner beat it up, told me that the right output channel was intermittent. He used the headphone out and so do I. It's fine for recording, just do your gain staging correctly and there's no problem with it. Don't run the headphone out up loud, set your audio interface by putting headphones on and turning it up. When it starts to make noise in your cans, turn it down a little. Then adjust the headphone volume to get a good signal to your DAW. Unless they've used a tragically cheap headphone amp it should sound great. I'm thinking it will sound great and work fine.

Eventually, I built a box mounted in my rack that has a TRS in and L and R TS outs that are already routed to ch 7-8 on my interface. I just use a TRS to TRS cable from the headphone out on the Handsonic and record. Very quiet, not noisy at all. I HATE noise and will make it go away if I can't get rid of it.

The first response (from Werno) describes the most common use for these cables (as an insert on a mixer), and even if you have a mixer with insert jacks, a compressor is about the only logical thing you'd connect via an insert.

Compressor, distortion, external EQ or filter, tube warmer â anything that adds character to the signal.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

One example of a keyboard that would use such a cable:

Roland FA series workstations have a 1/4" stereo sub-out socket. (as opposed to two separate mono sub-out 3 and sub-out 4 sockets)

You would use an "insert" style cable - like the one you bought - to split it to separate L and R male plugs to connect to a mixer, etc.

Just to add a 58th example :)

I did just this with Roland FA-08: I routed the organ patches to the sub out. Then used the TRS to 2 TS Y cable to go into my Lester K L + R inputs. It worked great!

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I've got a Roland Handsonic that I picked up used (and cheap). The previous owner beat it up, told me that the right output channel was intermittent. He used the headphone out and so do I. It's fine for recording, just do your gain staging correctly and there's no problem with it. Don't run the headphone out up loud, set your audio interface by putting headphones on and turning it up. When it starts to make noise in your cans, turn it down a little. Then adjust the headphone volume to get a good signal to your DAW. Unless they've used a tragically cheap headphone amp it should sound great. I'm thinking it will sound great and work fine.

Eventually, I built a box mounted in my rack that has a TRS in and L and R TS outs that are already routed to ch 7-8 on my interface. I just use a TRS to TRS cable from the headphone out on the Handsonic and record. Very quiet, not noisy at all. I HATE noise and will make it go away if I can't get rid of it.

Thanks for the tip, when I ran this cable out my headphone into the audio interface out I did not notice any noise (not to say there was none). It actually sounded better in some ways, it was louder obviously so that's probably why.

I appreciate all the input. Glad everyone is so knowledgeable. I am a layman at audio engineering. :2thu:

I appreciate all the input. Glad everyone is so knowledgeable. I am a layman at audio engineering. :2thu:

We all have to start somewhere. I've done many audio experiments that were evil and wrong. I've created the "yellow smoke of Death".

I've had things steadfastly refuse to blow up even when pushed well beyond limits.

Over time, I've learned a few things, mostly because I just tried them and saw what they did. Without mistakes, I probably wouldn't know anything. As it is, I don't know much.

Dr. Mike and Craig A both have some great threads in their forums for somebody wanting to learn more about recording. Those are great places to ask questions too.

This is the busiest forum and lots of diverse musicians come here for various reasons, even guitarists like me. I think they are mostly sort of used to me by now...

This is the busiest forum and lots of diverse musicians come here for various reasons, even guitarists like me.

RED ALERT!!:boing: There´s a guitarplayer in the thread!!

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

Can I plug one of these into anything?

Stereo plug

I wouldn't, just based on that incorrect description. :)

Seriously, it's of very limited use. It can be used to split a mono RCA signal into a stereo 6.5mm input, which are very rare beasts. Using it the other way around, which is a common requirement, is fraught with potential problems as it would be shorting the left and right channels together. This can lead to anything from working acceptably to working, but distorting, right up to blowing stuff up, so not recommended unless the pitfalls are understood.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.