Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blutooth MIDI device to transmit to external gear?

I am looking for some kit that will allow me to transmit MIDI from my keyboard to an external device about 6-8 feet away that ONLY has a MIDI in port and not using cable. I thought Bluetooth, but after discussions with a rep from CME (and despite "flowery" descriptions on their webpage) none of their devices (even the newer WIDI Jack) can do this. I already have two of the WIDI Master devices hence checking in with CME first.

So does anyone here have any suggestions (that are not prohibitively expensive) that would work here for this task?

I know I can just stick to a MIDI cable, but as I am now going wireless into the iPad, I'd like to try and keep it for the whole setup.

EDIT: PS, btw I actually do not think it's possible, but happy to be proven wrong :)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I own several WIDIMasters.

You should be able to connect a WIDIMaster to your sender. Then a WIDIJack, with external power supply, to the MIDI Input of the receiver.

What about this does not work?

Or go with a device that has external power.

A pair of Roland WM-1 should also work. They use batteries.

You should even be able to use a WIDIMaster (because you already own one) on your sender and a Roland WM-1 on your receiver.

Note that I have not tested the WIDIJack or Roland WM1, and I have not read their specs deeply.

But I was the Chairman of the BLE MIDI Working Group that published the specification. What you want to do is certainly possible.

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

Well that's what I thought too, but the guy from CME didn't seem to think it would. I explained the thing to him the same way, which is why I then surmised it won't work.

Maybe he lost something in the translation??

EDIT: the device I am going to has external power but afaik(?) it does not supply any power to the MIDI in port.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

This is what he wrote (in part) "The WIDI Master IN connector is only a cable without electronic part inside. It must connect the main adapter (bigger one) to work."

So to get any of their MIDI in connectors they must be directly connected to a power source, which is where I thought the WIDI Jack would come in...it's a long time to wait to see if it works (WIDI Masters took about 9 weeks to get here - in Oz)

1. For MIDI DIN to iPad Bluetooth, there are adapters that supply power like the Yamaha BT-01 (click here to see).

2. For USB MIDI to iPad Bluetooth, you could try using a MIDI Host like the one from Kenton (click here to see) and then plug the Yamaha BT-01 into the MIDI Host to control the iPad.

This guy got a similar setup working. He's controlling a PSR-670 with a wireless Alesis keytar.

[video:youtube]

I have a Yamaha MD-BT01 and UD-BT01, and a Quicco Sound mi.1, but I have to admit I've never tried to get them to talk directly to each other without a computer or iOS device in the middle. It's an interesting question, since both should do I/O just fine... but how do you get them to pair to one another?

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Quiccosound mi1. Cable (note: this is different to the regular Quiccosound mi.1).

Check out this video from Katsunori-san:

(English subtitles available)

Cheers,

James

x

ps. I recently picked up the new improved mi.1 II - the latency is improved compared to my original (crowd-funding backed) mi.1.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

James, I have the Quicco mi.1 but haven"t seen anything on a version II till now, plus I"m not understanding how the cable works - their website and videos are confusing - can you post clearer info?

Here for the gear.

That's a cool setup! The Yamaha reFace makes a nice compact wireless keytar (without the unnecessary handle). Imagine if manufacturers included BLE-MIDI in every product, you could do this with any digital instrument - and the world would be a much cleaner place! Yeah, Imagine. But the Quicco will do in the meantime.

Quiccosound mi1. Cable (note: this is different to the regular Quiccosound mi.1).

Check out this video from Katsunori-san:

(English subtitles available)

yeah the quicco is the same as the yamaha MD-BT01 and the WIDI Master

James, I have the Quicco mi.1 but haven"t seen anything on a version II till now, plus I"m not understanding how the cable works - their website and videos are confusing - can you post clearer info?

The original Quiccosound mi.1 has been replaced by the mi.1 II. It serves the same purpose as the original but now supports MIDI timestamps, and has lower latency. The connector's housing is also a little smaller, so thery are able to plug into instruments that have a small gap between the MIDI IN and OUT terminals. As I say, I had one of the 1st generation mi.1 units, which has been great. However, upgrading to this one, I immediately noticed an improvement in latency, and it's not such a squeeze to connect.

The Quiccosound mi.1 Cable is a brand new product. It's a set of two interfaces that allow fully wireless MIDI (via Bluetooth) without the need for a computer or iOS/Android device as a bridge. In the video above, Katsunori-san uses the mi.1 Cable to connect a Reface CS with a Nord Rack 3 wirelessly. This would not be possible with the original mi.1. I guess theoretically you could connect an mi.1 to both instruments, and then pair them both with the same computer, and then use MIDI routing software to link the two...but it would be complicated, and the latency would be double (Reface --> computer --> Nord Rack 3). With mi.1 Cable, you do not need a cable to provide the intermediary connection - the two instruments can effectively communicate with each other directly. Moreover, you can prioritise timing by connect the white mi.1 Cable into the instrument that requires it.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

which is where I thought the WIDI Jack would come in...it's a long time to wait to see if it works (WIDI Masters took about 9 weeks to get here - in Oz)

Yep long wait and my widi jacks came in last Thursday apparently but Australia post lost them after saying they were delivered to my house. I didn't mind the wait but this is first time Australia post has stuffed up for me.

I only knew they were apparently delivered because on the Friday I received an email from Australia post asking how did my delivery go. Had they not sent that email I'd still think they were to be delivered sometime.

Because they are small they get given to postie to pop in mailbox. They werent there so I've told Australia post that sometimes our mail gets left in same number in the next street and there's in ours.

Ive never had a problem with Australia post couriers. Only postie but this is first I actually know is missing because it a small package with tracking.

So I am still hoping they track them down after this long weekend. Apparently they'll get the postie to try to remember where he left it or check out the other house.

I'm hopeful as I've always had good experience with Australia post

I'd have preferred to buy locally because I rarely get things from overseas because of this worry but as they were a pre order they weren't available here anyway.