Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

controller that can use batteries?

Does anyone know of any higher quality controllers that have a battery option? As in standard keybed format not keytars....

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are numerous keyboards-with-sounds that run from batteries, which can also be used as controllers. But as for soundless controllers, I can't think of any off-hand... though there are plenty that are USB powered, so if you're using them to control an iPad or laptop, they effectively work the same as if they had batteries (i.e. they don't have to be plugged into AC).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks Scott...I was just asked the question, well a little while ago now, and had no idea. The only ones I know of are keytar style.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Controllers powered over USB can probably be powered by a USB power bank. Powerbanks that claim to "quick charge" are engineered to deliver around 2 amps, so I imagine that should power pretty much any controller-only keyboard â for how long, well that's an open question. My A800 Pro draws 300ma so I'm guessing a 10,000Mah powerbank will get me through a typical 90 - 110 minute show. Am I wrong? Other controllers could draw more than mine though.

Roland A-30 for sure, and I think the A-33 as well. "Higher quality" is subjective obviously, but I gigged with an A-30 for years. It was powered with six AA batteries and would last a long time on a charge. Had good velocity control for a semi-weighted controller. Pretty basic interface.

Well, my PX-5S is certainly a decent controller, if you can get past the lack of aftertouch and lack of a CC pedal. 11 hand-operated CCs are nothing to sneer at.

Although it was preemptively eliminated, the Roland AX-Edge does give you 4 octaves and aftertouch. I don't use it as a controller, but I do use it as a stand-mounted keyboard in addition to its guitar-strap capability.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Depends on the definition of higher-quality. The old Novation Remote LE controllers do.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

For keyboards that use a walwart (M-Audio controllers as an example) connecting a lithium battery to the power input will work. Here's an example, I think they make them for 9Volt as well. Depending on the barrell input size/style you might need an adapter or cut/solder the correct adapter.

link

Cheap enough to have two, one as a backup.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

+1 to Reezekeys and Delaware Dave's suggestion. Power a USB-powered controller with a powerbank. Power a wall-wart-powered controller with a battery that outputs 12v or 9v (assuming that's what the controller needs). I've seen powerbanks which additionally supply 9v or 12v - which means you could run a controller and an iThing at the same time, from the same source.

Cheers, Mike.

Cool, thanks everyone I'll pass all that on...afaik, 61 is about the size limit....great ideas for the powerbank/lithium battery - might even steal that for myself :)

The roland ds can be battery powered . And has a few knobs that send cc.

Thanks - and they come in 61 note size too IIRC -not too sure about it as a control surface, but I will pas it on.

The roland ds can be battery powered . And has a few knobs that send cc.

Thanks - and they come in 61 note size too IIRC -not too sure about it as a control surface, but I will pas it on.

It has a DAW mode which increases control functions (like making use of the four sliders on the left). Korg Kross is another that runs on batteries and is smaller/lighter, but is decidedly light on real-time controls. If you happen across one, the Casio XW-P1 would be another possibility, though it's not as svelte... but the depth and free panel space also means you could sit an iPad, module, etc. right on the board.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Nice one, thanks Scott.

EDIT: I'll be chatting with them this arvo, so I'll pas on all the suggestions...thanks again guys (and gals?)

If it's a MIDI controller with USB connector then whatever you're plugging into should be able to provide power for it. Check the spec's of what you're going to plug it into and that the controller can run on USB power. I have a StudioLogic SL88 Grand, a fully weighted, hammer action controller and it runs on the USB power from my computer it's plugged into.