Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha YC88

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the current opinion on the YC73/CP73 action on this board?

I played a CP73 two years when it first came out. A bit heavier-feeling IMO than the TP40 in my Forte, but I remember it didn"t quite win me over. I was also kinda disappointed with the extra sounds in the Sub section, so I returned it. But in retrospect I wish I had kept it a little longer and given the action a better shake. I"ve been trying to get close to a YC73 - had one on order, but FedEx lost it. I want to try playing that keybed again to see if I feel any differently about the YC73 'version' of it, if it"s actually different. If FedEx ever finds it, it will eventually end up at my local Sam Ash, and I"ll be able to go play it...

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

What's the current opinion on the YC73/CP73 action on this board?
Highly subjective. It looks like Brad was not fully convinced. I played a CP73 and CP88 next to each other. The CP88 was great. The 73 was "adequate". I would have happily gigged with it given the light weight - it's entire galactic clusters better than the TP100 of most alternatives

Cheers, Mike.

I think Yamaha have got this wrong....

I have a YC61 with its new 'waterfall' keyboard. Great feel for organ, and surprisingly effective for AP and EP playing as well.

Even if the YC88 needs to have a weighted keybed, the YC73 should have been an extended version of the YC61 waterfall keybed -- (and with a C-C range!)

I use my Yamaha P.105 as an external keyboard to the YC61, and that has a similar weighted GHS style keybed to the new YC73.... Great for playing the YC piano voices..

For playing organ though? ..It's horrible! (IMHO of course :) )

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

I think Yamaha have got this wrong....

Possibly in more ways than you mention.

I don"t understand the market for a hammer action organ feature.

Then again I"ve seen some angst from CP88 owners who are miffed that the YC88 supersedes their instrument.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Just because someone is primarily a piano player doesn't mean they may not want some quality organ sounds, and even drawbar adjustability. I think Yamaha saw that lots of people were buying the Nord Electro 6HP and the Nord Stage 3 HP76, from which they could determine (a) there's a market for products like this, and (b) it is a market segment with little competition.

Still, I suppose it's possible they could later come out with a YC73-SW with a semi-weighted action, too (just as Nord has hammer and SW action versions of a 7x-key Electro). A version that went C-to-C would be nice.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just because someone is primarily a piano player doesn't mean they may not want some quality organ sounds, and even drawbar adjustability...

Of course -- but if someone is primarily a pianist then I can see them going for an 88 note keybed -- which would probably need to be fully weighted?

The 73 note marketplace is slightly different I would suggest ...

As soon as the YC61 was released, there were those asking for a 73 note version. But I think that many of them would have expected a 73 note version of the YC61 --- complete with waterfall keyboard (and, as you say, C-C would have been nice).

Clearly though, Yamaha thought otherwise - as a result of their own market research, surely?

I would think one of the best options now might be to go for a YC61 and a P121. A 73 note piano with weighted keybed, and 61 waterfall keys for the organ...

(You would need a MIDI USB host to interface the two though)...

Even allowing for that, the total cost of a YC61/P121/ Kenton MIDI host would still be around £150 less than the current price for a YC73....... (at least here in the UK)

Just because someone is primarily a piano player doesn't mean they may not want some quality organ sounds, and even drawbar adjustability...

Of course -- but if someone is primarily a pianist then I can see them going for an 88 note keybed -- which would probably need to be fully weighted?

The 73 note marketplace is slightly different I would suggest

There are multiple 7x-key advocate contingents. Some are piano-oriented players who want something smaller/lighter than the 88.

I would think one of the best options now might be to go for a YC61 and a P121. A 73 note piano with weighted keybed, and 61 waterfall keys for the organ...

(You would need a MIDI USB host to interface the two though)...

Even allowing for that, the total cost of a YC61/P121/ Kenton MIDI host would still be around £150 less than the current price for a YC73....... (at least here in the UK)

Yeah, that could be a nice, compact, cost effecive combo. Though in the U.S., the combo is pricier than the YC73, by about $100 for the boards and another $50 or so for the least expenseive Kenton equivaient. You could save that $150 by going with a Studiologic SL73 Studio, though, and then at least come out "even."

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I"m sure Yamaha"s sales data shows they needed to offer the three sizes. But I wonder if it shows wether the 73/76 key model should be semi weight or weighted. It would be really nice for them to do 4 action offerings.

88k and 73k weighted. 76k and 61k semi weighed. Even if one has to be special order.

Then of course one of us would complain that we wanted the 73k to be semi.

Or 76k to be weighted. :)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yeah, that could be a nice, compact, cost effecive combo. Though in the U.S., the combo is pricier than the YC73, by about $100 for the boards and another $50 or so for the least expenseive Kenton equivaient. You could save that $150 by going with a Studiologic SL73 Studio, though, and then at least come out "even."

Thats because in Europe YC73 is the most overpriced of all CP/YC models, at least for now.

Relative prices between different CP and YC models in USA make much more sense (For example YC73 has the same price with CP88 while in Europe YC73 is more expensive)

EUROPE

YC61 1.659

YC73 2.499

YC88 2.777 (11% more than YC73)

CP73 1.550

CP88 2.099

USA

YC61 1.999 $

YC73 2.499 $

YC88 2.999 $ (20% more than YC73)

CP73 1.999 $

CP88 2.499 $

Yamaha P121

... The basic organ tone of the YC is really good but they HAVE to do something with the Leslie........

Amen to that!...

It's been so long now, you have to wonder if the Yamaha 'techs' actually know how to deal with the problem?.

Maybe a quick call to the guys at IK Multimedia, for a pointer or two in the right direction! :)

From the demos I heard of the new Hammond SK Pro, their Sim blows away the Yamaha YC Sim. AND the Hammond has an 11 pin connect to a real Leslie.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

... The basic organ tone of the YC is really good but they HAVE to do something with the Leslie........

Amen to that!...

It's been so long now, you have to wonder if the Yamaha 'techs' actually know how to deal with the problem?.

Maybe a quick call to the guys at IK Multimedia, for a pointer or two in the right direction! :)

Especially since Yamaha bought Line 6 who know how to make guitar amps, amps sim's and effects. The guitar world has had Leslie type pedals since the 70's when the UniVibe came out, after all these decades they should know how to make a Leslie sim' in their sleep.

From the demos I heard of the new Hammond SK Pro, their Sim blows away the Yamaha YC Sim. AND the Hammond has an 11 pin connect to a real Leslie.
As well as plenty of assignable out options. Then again, the Hammond's AP is not as strong as Yamaha...

Cheers, Mike.

I owned the CP-73 and wasn't too happy with the "Balanced" action it had, so I sold it and bought a used CP-4(GREAT key board). Yamaha always had great piano sounds and I like their strings, brass etc, but they always had lousy organ sounds!

Finally they come out with the YC series with draw bars and problem solved. I don't play much organ songs, but when I do I'm a little fussy with what I want sound wise, and I actually like the weighted key feel when playing organ.

Now I just wished they made the 73 keybed with the weighted graded action like the YC-88. I don't need 88 keys, and a 73 keybed would be lighter weight for carrying to gigs!

Just because someone is primarily a piano player doesn't mean they may not want some quality organ sounds, and even drawbar adjustability. I think Yamaha saw that lots of people were buying the Nord Electro 6HP and the Nord Stage 3 HP76, from which they could determine (a) there's a market for products like this, and (b) it is a market segment with little competition.

Still, I suppose it's possible they could later come out with a YC73-SW with a semi-weighted action, too (just as Nord has hammer and SW action versions of a 7x-key Electro). A version that went C-to-C would be nice.

I don't get that inbetween action stuff. Why one earth would you want to play piano on a semi-weighted action and organ also....I don't get that at all.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Sounds logical to me. Playing piano on a TP-8O is awful. And playing Organ on a GHS is lame. Yamaha semi weight synth action is quite nice feeling - with the water fall key choice on the YC-61 it"s still preferable for organ than piano. But it isn"t awful for piano. Makes for a one keyboard night if you like to bring as little as possible. The VR-700 does a nice job of that as well, without shaving the mm that Yamaha does.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Interesting... Pauleway, Coker -- Is the CP4 still a good acquisition in 2021 for a used one? I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a Kawai ES920 just for an 88 key weighted piano slab for gigs (38 pounds). I am intruigued by your posts if I should save a few dollars with a CP4 in the $1,200 or less price range and still get some years out of it for very occasional use. I'm interested if you would say if the CP4 still sounds and plays good or if it's a little long in the tooth sound-wise?

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I don't get that inbetween action stuff. Why one earth would you want to play piano on a semi-weighted action and organ also....I don't get that at all.

For someone who simply can't/won't gig with two boards, your options are to find a semi-weighted (that is, organ-oriented) action that is at least passable for a lot of piano work, or a hammer action (i.e. piano-oriented) board that isn't too terrible for organ.

Interesting... Pauleway, Coker -- Is the CP4 still a good acquisition in 2021 for a used one? I am intrigued by your posts if I should save a few dollars with a CP4 in the $1,200 or less price range and still get some years out of it for very occasional use. I'm interested if you would say if the CP4 still sounds and plays good or if it's a little long in the tooth sound-wise?

The CP-4 is my favorite keyboard for Feel/Touch of the keybed, and best acoustic piano sound (for my taste), I also prefer it's string/brass sounds and it only weighs 36-lbs!

Great for your bottom board, but the organ sounds are very limited and for me almost unusable. I love my CP-4!!

I"m with Pauleway on the CP4, but I think it weighs 38.5 pounds. I use my MODX8 for gigs that need several zones of good sounds and sequencer, like tiny cover bands, and use the CP4 for jazz gigs because of the action and great piano sound. It just makes me play better. I"ve considered the CP88, but in the end I didn"t see that the enhanced interface was worth the cost for my needs.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

.... And the Leslie is apparently better than the YC.

That's a no brainer .. the B3X Leslie is a contender for the best ever Leslie sim -- and the YC is certainly a contender for one of the worst :)

That's great to hear pauleway and coker. Within a couple weeks I need to make a decision for an 88 key piano slab. In my budget, my choices are either a new Kawai ES920 or a used CP4. I think I'm going to pass on a "great deal" for a used CP73 but it was an intriguing option that I don't really need.... so new ES920 "portable piano" with the Kawai RHIII action vs. the CP4 "stage piano" in excellent condition with low miles on it. I just got a Nord Wave 2 which killed the budget for a new CP88 but no regrets.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

For someone who simply can't/won't gig with two boards, your options are to find a semi-weighted (that is, organ-oriented) action that is at least passable for a lot of piano work, or a hammer action (i.e. piano-oriented) board that isn't too terrible for organ.

Good way to screw up technique.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com