Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg NAUTILUS

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can"t believe I missed this. Looks like a double-price Krome with a color display, fewer buttons, and no more wall wart. I hope the action plays better.

Sweetwater still has this available for pre-order only. When is it expected to ship?

Brotha Z, I asked my pusher, er, KB salesman about this a few days ago. Korg won't give a date. Word on the street is some time later this month. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Can"t believe I missed this. Looks like a double-price Krome with a color display, fewer buttons, and no more wall wart. I hope the action plays better.

Sweetwater still has this available for pre-order only. When is it expected to ship?

Brotha Z, I asked my pusher, er, KB salesman about this a few days ago. Korg won't give a date. Word on the street is some time later this month. :cool:

I hear a few units are showing up in France, Canada.

But no ETA's here in the US. Its a fluid thing, and never know what might happen next week.

I also feel its $300 over priced, esp compared to MODX. But I think most of the other workstations are over priced but this my minority opinion.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I was excited about the Nautilus at first, but they blew it on the price not enough difference in price from the Kronos. Also that you can't exchange Nautilus sound with the Kronos. Kronos sounds can be used on the Nautilus, but not the other direction. I started looking at a MoDX instead, but the keybed sucks on the MoDX's.

I saw on one dealers website the expected release is later this month.

I was excited about the Nautilus at first, but they blew it on the price not enough difference in price from the Kronos. Also that you can't exchange Nautilus sound with the Kronos. Kronos sounds can be used on the Nautilus, but not the other direction. I started looking at a MoDX instead, but the keybed sucks on the MoDX's.

I still think the Nautilus will still "sound" like a Kronos. The KB itself will have less features. I can't find one cat out in these streets using KARMA anyway. :laugh:

The MODX7 keys feel less sh8tty than the MODX6. But, both are a compromise to those of us who grew up on real synth action keybeds like the original turd, er, DX7 and others.

I'll take this opportunity to again state that I don't think some of these KBs are being manufactured for KB players. They're glorified data entry devices with sounds i.e. a tone generator with keys attached. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I still think the Nautilus will still "sound" like a Kronos. The KB itself will have less features. I can't find one cat out in these streets using KARMA anyway. :laugh:

The MODX7 keys feel less sh8tty than the MODX6. But, both are a compromise to those of us who grew up on real synth action keybeds like the original turd, er, DX7 and others.

I'll take this opportunity to again state that I don't think some of these KBs are being manufactured for KB players. They're glorified data entry devices with sounds i.e. a tone generator with keys attached. :laugh::cool:

The Nautilus has some new sounds the Kronos doesn't and that's why compatibility is only one direction. Yamaha uses the same keybed on CP and YC boards, they should use those keybeds on the MoDX one keybed for three product line should cut production costs. Sure MoDX price might have to be raise a touch, but a better keybed would be worth it.

I must be a data entry operator then. I'll let the guys in the band know they better look for a true KB player then and me and my MODX will head on down the road :rolleyes:

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

[quote=D

. I can't find one cat out in these streets using KARMA anyway. :laugh:

ol:

Hah

I am the 1 cat using Karma. Every day.

Don't tell anyone ;)

[70's Songwriter]

[quote

The Nautilus has some new sounds the Kronos doesn't and that's why compatibility is only one direction. it.

not so fast there.

The conversion software is an idea, at this point.

It has to be proven to function says the man who is careful with his Korgs.

[70's Songwriter]

It's not an upscale Krome, it's a downscale Kronos. Krome has one sound engine, a lesser version of one of the nine in Kronos. Nautilus has the full same 9 engines as Kronos. Essentially, it's a Kronos with fewer real-time controls, no KARMA (standard arpeggiators instead), no aftertouch, but the addition of dedicated tranpose buttons. Other than the lack of AT, I believe the actions are supposed to be same as Kronos, except the 73 is a semi-weighted instead of hammer.

they blew it on the price not enough difference in price from the Kronos.

61 key Nautilus = $2000, Kronos = $3200. The 88 key Nautilus is a grand cheaper than the Kronos. Big difference, I'd say.

The Kronos did have a temporary price reduction at the end of last year, which made the difference seem smaller. They may have done that to encourage people intrigued by the Nautilus to buy the Kronos that was already in the warehouse rather than waiting for the Nautilus. Ya gotta move what you have!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

[quote

The Nautilus has some new sounds the Kronos doesn't and that's why compatibility is only one direction. it.

not so fast there.

The conversion software is an idea, at this point.

It has to be proven to function says the man who is careful with his Korgs.

I'm going by what Korg has said in videos. There are new sounds on the Nautilus so I guess what they used to make them isn't available on the Kronos.

There are new sounds on the Nautilus so I guess what they used to make them isn't available on the Kronos.

Though in theory, there's nothing to stop them from making a "Nautilus Expansion Waves" downloadable sound set for the Kronos.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I must be a data entry operator then. I'll let the guys in the band know they better look for a true KB player then and me and my MODX will head on down the road :rolleyes:

Slow down there brotha Dave. There's nothing wrong with the MODX . I'll probably end up with a MODX7 too. But, you have to admit some manufacturers are doing funky stuff with the keys nowadays.

I have a suspicion that KB manufacturers are skimping on the key action assuming many non-KB players (data entry operators) will be using it too.

[quote=D

. I can't find one cat out in these streets using KARMA anyway. :laugh:

ol:

Hah

I am the 1 cat using Karma. Every day.

Don't tell anyone ;)

Great thing you've already got a full blown Kronos. :D:cool:

PD

As one who owns a Modx7 and isn't the biggest fan of the keys for most things--I will say that the uber-light action lends itself pretty well to organ playing, probably better for this than nicer, heavier actions like on my pc361. No, it's not waterfall and doesn't have a high trigger point but it still works quite well. I've got my ipad running b3x hooked up to it and I'm really happy with playing and listening to the result!

Piano playing is much tougher. Some of it is just adjusting your touch, which I did gradually. I also bumped the velocity curve to make it more difficult to trigger the harder-hitting piano sounds.

Overall though yes I'd prefer a better action in most of these keyboards. Heck the Sledge has a really nice action and it's 1000 bucks (granted its made by the same manufacturer). I guess the big dogs have done the research and figure it doesn't matter, but it's definitely a selling point for most players I think along with the no-wall-wart sentiment. Which may tell us where we stand in the grand scheme of things :)

Piano playing is much tougher. Some of it is just adjusting your touch, which I did gradually. I also bumped the velocity curve to make it more difficult to trigger the harder-hitting piano sounds.

I didn't spend a lot of time tweaking this on the MODX so I don't want to say this is necessarily as good as I could get it, but I did find the pianos much more playable when I quickly ended up at Velocity Offset 83, Depth 44. If not perfect, those are probably at least in the ballpark of what would feel best to me. That was with the S700 sound.

I"m hesitant between a Nautilus 88 and a Yamaha YC88 at the same price point.

I am careful with expensive keyboards. I am waiting for pro user reviews of Nautilus. Plus I have un-answered questions about SSD access.

[70's Songwriter]

Kind of apple and orange deal. The Nautilus is a full workstation basically a whole recording studio in a keyboard, the YC is a stage piano. A workstation is a stage piano with a whole lot more and a whole lot more complex learning curve.

I am careful with expensive keyboards. I am waiting for pro user reviews of Nautilus. Plus I have un-answered questions about SSD access.

You are spot on about SSD access and Nautilus will never replace Kronos imo.

61 key Nautilus = $2000, Kronos = $3200. The 88 key Nautilus is a grand cheaper than the Kronos. Big difference, I'd say.

I'd argue that you could / should get a used Kronos 61 (2nd model) for around $2000 or a little bit more. Similarly, if you go the Yamaha route, don't buy a new MODX, try to find a used Montage 61. It's a quality product made in Japan.

I'd argue that you could / should get a used Kronos 61 (2nd model) for around $2000 or a little bit more. Similarly, if you go the Yamaha route, don't buy a new MODX, try to find a used Montage 61. It's a quality product made in Japan.

New gear (which must be profitable) is never priced to compete with used gear (where people take a loss). Some people will go that route, but it's not an argument for saying Nautilus should be cheaper.

I'd argue that you could / should get a used Kronos 61 (2nd model) for around $2000 or a little bit more. .

agree, I have been saying that,too. Plenty of used k2's on reverb, eBay.

its hard to predict if/when the many high quality 3rd party sample libs will be available on Nautilus.

Meanwhile, all those choices can be had for Kronos.

[70's Songwriter]

• 2 weeks later...

my 99% guess is Nautilus has a fan. It relies on computer components, processor, etc. Requires stable temps .

Possibly the Korg page specs some of the internals

[70's Songwriter]