Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Zoom Q2N 4K or Shure MV88, to record myself at home �����

Hi Guys

Need advice for someone that is not technically mindedð¤£

So currently at home I have all my keyboards and my vocal mic plugged into a Behringer mixer, all keys in stereo into the desk, my headphones are also plugged into the desk

I want to be able to wear my headphones and sing and play keys but be able to record all of this WITHOUT upsetting my neighbours as I live in a ground floor apartment here in the UK... is there a Shure product I can use to do this? Was thinking the Shure MV88 or MV88+ But I"m told today by Shure that this still can"t be done as the mic neeeds to obviously pick all this up, which means sound has to come out my speakers from the desk...(which in don"t want)

I also have an iPhone 12 Pro Max if that can be of any use alongside anything, I"m not a very tech savvy person ð¤£ð¤¦ââï¸

So... I"m thinking of maybe getting the Zoom Q2N 4K

how would I integrate that into my setup so as to record video and audio without making noise and getting evictedð¤·ð»ââï¸ð¤£

want to make sure that my vocals aren"t louder than my keyboards and vice versa

Here are some pics of my setup on this google drive link ðð

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-17b2V9B4QInNPP8bOygPrWVaptL3rik

Korg Kronos 2 88 Gold Edition

Yamaha Montage 8 White Edition

Crumar Mojo Suitcase

2 x Roland Fantom X8

Roland Fantom X7

2 x Roland Fantom XR’s

Yamaha Motif ES7

Kawai MP11SE

Korg TR Rack

Korg SG Rack

Quiklok, Gibraltar & K&M Stands

Kali Audio LP-8 Monitors

Soundcraft EFX12 Mixer

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So currently at home I have all my keyboards and my vocal mic plugged into a Behringer mixer, all keys in stereo into the desk, my headphones are also plugged into the desk

I want to be able to wear my headphones and sing and play keys but be able to record all of this WITHOUT upsetting my neighbours as I live in a ground floor apartment here in the UK...

Thanks for sending the links to your photos. You have a pretty solid setup already - it looks, from this picture, that you have everything you need except video.

I also have an iPhone 12 Pro Max if that can be of any use alongside anything. So... I"m thinking of maybe getting the Zoom Q2N 4K

36cwXPW.jpg

What I see here is a bunch of keyboards or other electronic instruments connected to the mixer, as well as a microphone (the yellow cable at the top left). This could be very simple, or it could get complicated, depending on how you want to record. The mixer's USB port lets you record the fill mix, so if you want to record your full performance, you're already there. Are you doing this already and are just looking for a way to integrate it with video? Or are you not involving a computer at this point (and maybe don't want to because of complexity)? Or do you just need some help in using what you already have?

And assuming you're already doing some recording, is recording the full performance a suitable way for you to work, or do you need to record a track at a time - Record a keyboard, add another keyboard, add a guitar, add the vocal . .

You can use headphones and adjust the mix for balance without bothering the neighbors, but the vocal (or any acoustic instruments) need to come in through the microphone, so the only thing that will separate that from your neighbors is either building thicker walls or recording at a time when they're not going to be bothered by hearing you sing.

Let's get some more prospective here before I type too much that's irrelevant to your situation.

Hi Mike ðââï¸

I"ve not done any recording before ever

a complete newbie to all this

I"m looking to record myself singing and playing in 1 go and just record the audio from the keyboards and my vocal mic at the same time, it"s just so I can upload stuff to my Facebook and Instagram accounts

I want to wear my Beyerdynamic DT990 Headphones so I can hear everything as I"m doing the above

My neighbours don"t mind my singing, which is all they"ll hear ð¤£

already had compliments on my voice today singing some Billy Joel, Chicago and Christopher Cross songs ðð

I was looking at the Zoom Q2N 4K because I thought maybe I can plug the mixer into that somehow?

Then press record on the Zoom and off we go playing and singing, then it will record all the audio and video

Adjust the volume levels on the zoom so it don"t distort?

Does the above make sense?

I don"t want to involve a computer at this time reallly

Don"t need to add any additional tracks

I mentioned before about using my iPhone 12 Pro Max alongside the Shure MV88, but obviously this won"t work as it"ll be too loud with everything coming out my speakers and headphones will become irrelevant in that situation, a shame really as the iPhone would give me better video quality than the Zoom and the Shure MV88 would give better audio also

I will say that I do have a Behringer UMC404HD audio interface

It"s still in its box and my brother is coming to help me set that up in about 2 weeks time

Crumar Mojo Suitcase

2 x Roland Fantom X8

Roland Fantom X7

2 x Roland Fantom XR’s

Yamaha Motif ES7

Kawai MP11SE

Korg TR Rack

Korg SG Rack

Kali Audio LP-8 Monitors

Soundcraft EFX12 Mixer

Zoom emailed me back just now

Hello Wayne,

thx for your interest in ZOOM products ð

The Q2n4k hast a stereo input and a headphone output.

I would suggest connecting your vocal microphone and your keyboards to a mixer and then sending the master out of your mixer to the Q2n4k line input.

You can then connect your headphones to the q2n4k´s headphone out and voila!

Regards

Martin

Crumar Mojo Suitcase

2 x Roland Fantom X8

Roland Fantom X7

2 x Roland Fantom XR’s

Yamaha Motif ES7

Kawai MP11SE

Korg TR Rack

Korg SG Rack

Kali Audio LP-8 Monitors

Soundcraft EFX12 Mixer

I"m looking to record myself singing and playing in 1 go and just record the audio from the keyboards and my vocal mic at the same time, it"s just so I can upload stuff to my Facebook and Instagram accounts

I want to wear my Beyerdynamic DT990 Headphones so I can hear everything as I"m doing the above

My neighbours don"t mind my singing, which is all they"ll hear

I was looking at the Zoom Q2N 4K because I thought maybe I can plug the mixer into that somehow?

Then press record on the Zoom and off we go playing and singing, then it will record all the audio and video

Adjust the volume levels on the zoom so it don"t distort?

Yes, you can do that. In fact your mixer has an output (a pair of RCA jacks) just for that purpose. The Zoom has an external input jack that feeds the audio track for the video recording. All you need is a stereo mini plug to 2xRCA male cable and some time to get level setting correct.

Since the mixer can also feed a computer for USB recording, I'd suggest that you set that up as well. The audio on the Zoom will be good enough for what you say now that you want to use it for, but the USB recording will be of somewhat better quality, plus you'll have a straightforward audio file to play with should you decide to do some editing or tweaking to give a better experience to those who don't care what you look like and just want to hear your music. It's a simple thing to do, and, if nothing else, it's a back-up if something happens to the video recording. You don't have to use it right away, or ever, but you do need to remember to start it recording.

I mentioned before about using my iPhone 12 Pro Max alongside the Shure MV88, but obviously this won"t work as it"ll be too loud with everything coming out my speakers and headphones will become irrelevant in that situation, a shame really as the iPhone would give me better video quality than the Zoom and the Shure MV88 would give better audio also

I'm not an iPerson, so I can't say for sure, but I'll bet Dr. Mike knows if he's paying attention. I've seen lots of Lightning adapters that allow you to connect "normal" stereo headphones to the Lightning connector, but in a quick on-line search I wasn't sure if there was the equivalent going in the other direction. What I'm thinking here is that there's got to be a way that you could use your iPhone to record audio from the mixer. There may be an analog adapter, though it might be mono - the standard Lightning to TRRS adapter gives you stereo headphones out but only mono mic in. What would work well would be if there was a USB-to-Lightning adapter that would let it record the USB stereo audio audio coming out of the mixer. You might need an alternate video recording application for the iPhone so that it would accept stereo audio, but that would give you the better video video than the Zoom, and probably better audio quality, too. And furthermore I'd quit bugging you about recording audio via USB to a computer because you'd be using the USB port to connect to the iPhone.

It might be overkill for your application, but I believe that the IK Multimedia iRig Pro Duo I/O would do the trick if you connected the mixer's RCA Tape Out jacks to the IK instrument inputs. That's a common cable. And it comes with a Lightning cable to connect to your iPhone. I have one of these myself that I use with my Android phone and I can tell you that it's a really good sounding interface.

How about a digital SLR? Got one? People make great video with those, and there are lots of gadgets for connecting audio to them.

I will say that I do have a Behringer UMC404HD audio interface

It"s still in its box and my brother is coming to help me set that up in about 2 weeks time

Well, it doesn't have as many inputs and outputs as your mixer but it's certainly more portable.