Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oberheim TVS Pro SE

"The Special Edition reclaims the Oberheim badge logo which was last seen on the Matrix 1000 from 1987 shortly before they were purchased by Gibson. Gibson returned the name to Tom in 2019. Each one will be signed by Tom Oberheim. They are open for preorder."

oberheim-tvspro-2016.jpg

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In related news:

"In a ruling announced yesterday at the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), the application by MusicTribe to use for the "Behringer Oberheim" brand/trademark, it was rejected. They filed for this in August 2020, but as Tom Oberheim owns the trademark "Oberheim" in the US it wasn't clear cut."

They said, in this rather dense document:

...the surname OBERHEIM in the applied-for mark unmistakably points to the Tom Oberheim, who is so well-known in relation to applicant's type of goods and within the relevant industry that the public would reasonably assume a connection between Tom Oberheim and the applicant's goods. Because a written consent to register the mark by Tom Oberheim is not of record, registration is refused under Trademark Act Section 2©

https://sonicstate.com/news/2021/03/05/behringer-lose-right-to-oberheim-trademark-in-us-ruling/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I posted this in the other Oberheim topic earlier, but now that this has been spun off into its own topic, I'll repost the product announcement link here:

https://sonicstate.com/news/2021/03/04/oberheim-revives-the-two-voice-synth/

As I noted in the other thread, that specific announcement and video clearly show the simpler historical Oberheim logo vs. the "signature-style" Tom Oberheim logo.

My understanding is that only the Pro Special Edition will get the "old" Oberheim logo, and that the regular edition will get the Tom Oberheim signature instead.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Well, maybe I'll buy a TVS Pro SE with Obie's signature on it. But, I'm going to leave it in the box. 20 years from now, I'll sell it as a part of my golden parachute. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

here is an article written by Gordon Reid about this synth 5 years ago when it was first introduced (I can't understand what all the fuss is now, when it didn't do so well 5 years ago)

I also happen to agree with Mr. Reid about the synths shortcomings. All that being said, I'm sure it will sound fantastic for those willing to pony up :cool:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tom-oberheim-two-voice-pro

:nopity:

I think so, sig and branding.

O.k., same synth, same sig, new branding ...

For the same price or less ???

I hope so.

What is this company really doin´ ?

Announcing new gear alweays,- like the Eurorack SEM-Plus, followed by SEM-X w/ advanced step sequencer-, ringmod- and phasor- modules while I hoped so much for these being released,- but no.

Instead they come up w/ their ancient designs incl. all the old limitations and 3 oct keyboard action.

It would have been so easy assembling a polyphonic synth of your choice from these Eurorack modules and control w/ your prefered master keyboard allowing some advanced voice assignment,- KURZ PC3 p.ex..

A.C.

For a lot of folks, the nostalgia aspect is worth paying for...even though an updated, improved version, with all of the appropriate updates and inclusions, would be a better solution.

If I ran the company--and I clearly don't--I'd have the nostalgic repro for sale as option one, as well as the new-and-improved version aforementioned, as plan-B. Win-win, for the company and the consumer.